You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-08 08:32:25

Nathan P

G1S Front media keys

Hey guys,
I've been running Arch on my G1S and it's been amazing.  Faster than any distro I've tried and damn stable for how up to date it is (99% of crashes happen when I fool with things...)  KDEMod is amazing and I've learned more in my few short months with Arch then I learned in the past few years playing with other distros off and on.  I can proudly say there is no microshaft presence on my computer other than the sticker underneath!

I am wondering about the media keys on the G1S.  I have the asus-laptop module and lapsus running great to control my sound and backlight, etc. and I was wondering if there was a way to use the media buttons on the front of the PC?  I assume they're wired in in a similar way as the other hotkeys that lapsus can control.  What about the internet, mail and  Asus Oled display?  The Display would probably be a bit more difficult but it seems figuring out what signals are sent when the media and internet hotkeys are pressed should be relatively simple, then it's just up to the user to assign them to a media program.  No?  Seems to me like something that could be easily integrated into lapsus or some other daemon if worked on a bit.

Nathan

#2 2008-04-14 00:17:25

Nathan P

Re: G1S Front media keys

Anyone?  I know they work somehow through ACPI, is there a way I could log an output and click each key, read the output, then write a simple script linking that key to the media program or alternatively to some key combo that works with the media programs?  Currently Amarok is setup to use Win+*key* to control things, so I could program the buttons to trigger those key combinations or something.

#3 2008-04-14 00:22:40

fed359

Have a look at the section on xbindkeys here http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Hotkeys
I had to use xbindkeys for multimedia keys when I used to run kdemod...

#4 2008-04-14 00:23:22

calef13

what you are looking for is xbindkeys. I used it to get the music buttons (pause/play, volume adjust etc..) working on my PC keyboard. Basically it allows you to bind the signal from a single or multiple keys to a shell command. If you read the xbindkeys wiki page and man page it will tell you everything you need to know. Google is also a good help, I plan to write an article on the wiki, to summarize all this stuff.

EDIT: Damn, so close tongue

Last edited by calef13 (2008-04-14 00:24:12)

#5 2008-04-14 01:28:36

Nathan P

Looks like those keys don't even have a scancode...

#6 2008-04-14 01:36:27

Nathan P

Alright, did some searching and it looks like with the lapsus daemon running, all acpi events (Which includes the media keys and the others I want to use) are reported through DBUS.  How would I use this to find out what the key triggers and link it to my media player programs?

Board footer