You are not logged in.

#1 2004-07-16 18:46:20

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

konqueror photo/camera permissions

I've got my familie's computer set up to connect to the digital camera from within konqueror by accessing the URL camera:/.  This works fine, you can drag and drop files from the camera to the folder where you want them downloaded just easy like that (for some reason, my family thinks dragging files around is easy).

However, a problem with the downloaded images are that they are all in mode 444. They have the right username and group, but nobody can write to them (ie: to scale, crop, rotate an image and then save it) without changing permissions. I'd rather not have to explain the concept of file permissions to them, or that you have to right click the icon, click properties and select "owner can read and write". Is there any way I can have konqueror automatically chmod the files after it downloads the files?

The only other thing I can think of is to write a simple shell script that chmods all the files in a directory and then figure out how to create an icon that performs that activity, or to do it on a file by file basis by putting it in the "open with" menu for images...

anybody have a better suggestion, cause that idea really sucks. wink

Dusty

#2 2004-07-16 19:07:20

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: konqueror photo/camera permissions

It could be the mount point permissions (try changing the umask option in /etc/fstab to something like umask=0022).  If that doesn't work, see if you can change a umask option in konqueror.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#3 2004-07-16 20:13:35

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: konqueror photo/camera permissions

Xentac wrote:

It could be the mount point permissions (try changing the umask option in /etc/fstab to something like umask=0022).  If that doesn't work, see if you can change a umask option in konqueror.

The camera is loaded by hotplug; I couldn't get that devmode stuff working with fstab... The usb device files have proper permissions... actually, I'm not certain of that, now that I think of it. I'll check it later... So it's not actually mounted as a filesystem, it's using GPhoto.

yikes, just wait until I start making sense.

anyway, yeah, I was looking more for some kind of umask option in konqueror. I'm not too familiar with this fancy GUI crap... wink

Dusty

Board footer