You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-19 12:39:59

Average Joe

No internet/DNS connection with Arch guest on Virtualbox

I am trying to run Archlinux as a guest OS in Virtualbox on an Ubuntu 7.10 host system, and I cannot connect to anything but my router. So far, I have only installed the base system (Arch Linux core 2007.08-2) from a CD.

I can ping the localhost (both on 127.0.0.1 and 10.0.2.15) and my gateway (10.0.2.2), but not my DNS server (10.0.2.3) or anything else (like www.google.com). So far, I went through the "Beginners Guide", the "Official Arch Linux Install Guide", the configuring network section of the ArchWiki, and tried to find some solution on the internet. Still no luck.

I have set up networking to use dhcp. The networking section in my /etc/rc.conf file looks like:

HOSTNAME="arch"
lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo eth0)
ROUTES=(!gateway)

The daemons that run during startup are:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network netfs crond)

I have put the hostname in the /etc/hosts file like:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost arch

The nameserver that shows up in my /etc/resolv.conf file is:

nameserver 10.0.2.3

I am a bit puzzled and I don't know what to do. I do think it is an Arch issue, since I also have Windows XP running in a Virtualbox with Ubuntu as host, and that works fine with the same Virtualbox settings and network settings within the guest OS.

I would appreciate any help here.

Last edited by Average Joe (2008-04-19 12:41:29)

#2 2008-04-19 13:40:21

fiod

Re: No internet/DNS connection with Arch guest on Virtualbox

Try reading the VirtualBox manuals.

I specifically remember that ping doesn't work at all, although you DO have internet connection.

Try running some sort of web browser (firefox or links), and then decide if you have internet access or not.

And, of course, make sure you do have dhcp running ("dhcpcd eth0").

One last thing:
I have an Arch guest (on VirtualBox), running on an Arch host.
Everything works fine..
Simply installed it from the installation CD, didn't have to do nothing special for it to work..

Last edited by fiod (2008-04-19 13:41:19)

#3 2008-04-19 15:12:02

Average Joe

Re: No internet/DNS connection with Arch guest on Virtualbox

fiod, you are right. It turns out just to be a stupid ping thing. I never tried continuing the Archlinux setup by downloading and installing additional packages, because I thought that would be pointless.

But everything seems to work fine. I am downloading 131 MB of update packages right now... Maybe I will try to read through the Virtualbox ping issue later. For now, I just want to have my Archlinux up and running ASAP.

Thanks for helping me out.

Board footer