You are not logged in.

#1 2004-07-19 22:32:05

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Arch based hosting company

Alright, not to get your hopes up or anything, none exist that I know of.

I'm mulling around the idea of starting one though.  If someone's going to provide Arch Linux hosting, it should be someone who knows Arch, right?  Someone who can offer quality support.

The technology behind it would be essentially virtual hosting.  You'd have your own user mode linux session, root acces and all, to do with as you please.  With the current hosting provider that I'm looking at, you wouldn't be able to host an irc server, any illegal material, or send spam, but just about anything else goes.

I'd be able to make other distros available for use as well (fedora, suse, debian, etc... not gentoo because of the cpu requirements).

I'm not sure about pricing schemes yet, but they would be comparable to other virtual hosting sites (http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/uses.html).

The one drawback of virtual hosting is that you share the resources, specifically processor.  This means you wouldn't be able to run any cpu intensive applications for extended periods of time.

There is also the option of web hosting and things like that, where you wouldn't need root access.

Anyway, at this point, I'm wondering who would be interested in a service like this.  Do enough people yearn for their very own Arch Linux server but aren't allowed to have one because they have dialup/consumer adsl or cable?  Do enough people have clients they develop software for (in archlinux, obviously) that wouldn't mind having a production environment that was also arch?  If you think you'd actually use something like this, speak up.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#2 2004-07-19 23:41:55

-Anders

Re: Arch based hosting company

All depending on the cost, I'd love to see it.
I have a couple of prjects planned out, I just can't afford it at the moment.
But if I were to carry them out, I'd love for it to be on an Archlinux server.

#3 2004-07-20 03:05:36

cjdj

Re: Arch based hosting company

I would be interested.  Maybe not for a few months, but I would definately love to have an arch virtual machine when it comes time to expanding from my existing setup.

Board footer