You are not logged in.

#1 2004-07-20 11:13:33

alanh02

Xscreensaver Problem

I dont know if this is the right place to post this but.....

I tried to do a pacman -Suy and got an error as follows

checking for file conflicts...
error: the following file conflicts were found:
  /etc/pam.d/xscreensaver: exists in filesystem

This caused the update process to stop. I removed xscreensaver and re ran pacman -Suy and it all worked fine. However, when I now try a pacman -S xscreensaver I get the same error

Any ideas??

TIA

#2 2004-07-20 11:35:30

lanrat

Re: Xscreensaver Problem

Check which package owns this conflicting file with pacman -Qo /etc/pam.d/xscreensaver
Then decide if you want to force an upgrade of xscreensaver, forget about it or report a bug...

#3 2004-07-20 11:39:21

dp
Website

/etc/pam.d/xscreensaver is owned by xscreensaver 4.16-3

what seems to be logical :-) but what pkg has it too? (what pkgs were going to be updated when this failed?)

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#4 2004-07-20 13:22:05

alanh02

Hmm    when I ran Pacman -Qo /etc/pam.d/xscreensaver it came back that no program owned the file. So I tried renaming it, and althought the mv xscreensaver xscreensaver.old came back with no errors, it didnt rename the file

Moving it to another directory left it where it was as well. So I deleted it which worked. Now Pacman -S xscreensaver has worked fine

A glitch??    I will keep a watchful eye on it

Thanx again for the assistance

#5 2004-07-20 17:01:45

sarah31
Website

if you ever come up against something like this it is always best to first use pacman to find out which package owns the conflicting file. once you find out then file a bug report or in form the maintainer.

in almost all cases of conflicting files youcan force the install with the -f option. it is not ideal to force buyt i really do think it is better than manually removing the file.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#6 2004-07-20 19:01:52

alanh02

I appreciate that I can force it but I am definatly of the school of thought that ¨If it dont fit, dont force it¨

I have no probs invoking force if I know why it doesnt do as it should, and I appreciate that removing /etc/pam.d/xscreensaver was a bit extreme. It was however tried after I tried to back it up and rename it.

Still its working ok now, but I would like to get to the bottom of it   (mumble mumble)

#7 2004-07-20 20:21:31

sarah31
Website

one thing i was thinking was that if you are using xorg then that file may already exist. some package or self installed source must have provided that file and that package SHOULD take note of that. some build is not right and needs to be found.

as for forcing.... personally i do not do it unless it is the suggested course of action. i will hold off installing the package in question until (i help) resolve the conflict.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#8 2004-07-20 22:44:48

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

AFAIK, manually removing a file and forcing the conflict do exactly the same thing; it overwrites the existing file with a new one.

Forcing will overwrite multiple conflicting files all at once. This is an advantage if you don't feel like manually removing multiple files, but a disadvantage if you accidentally overwrite something you don't want to...

Dusty

Board footer