You are not logged in.

#1 2004-07-18 10:15:08

matto
Website

switch/convert filesystem

hi there
is it possible to convert linux filesystesm to another without formating the partion? as windows programs like partition magic can do? or has newest partition magic version linux filesystem support (as i know it only supports ext2)
i would like to test filesystems by myself withoput loosing my linux configuration
greetings matto

// DAMNiAM //

#2 2004-07-18 10:32:49

morphus

Re: switch/convert filesystem

just google around, there are some solutions; afaik you can easily switch from ext2 to ext3, but not the other way.
Don't know about the other partition types

#3 2004-07-18 10:48:57

matto
Website

thank you for your quick answer
i am using ext3 i think (it is written in /etc/fstab :-) )and i want to try jfs
but i have only found a non newbie friendly guide fram ext2 to jfs on ibm.com
http://oss.software.ibm.com/jfs/project … oot.html#3
i don´t really know whats going on there :-(
isnt there jfs support in arch from the beginning?
and if i´ve unterstood the guide right, i can not use my current / as new jfs?!?!?
i have to back up my whole system somewhere, mount it from this other place (which i don´t have at the moment), then mkfs.jfs my old root system and then copy everything back there......
uh i fear this progress... due to i even do not know ow to backup my system :-)
greetings matto

// DAMNiAM //

#4 2004-07-18 13:12:21

farphel
Forum Fellow
Website

No, there is no simple way to convert a filesystem (except the case of ext2 -> ext3).  The only way is (like you discovered) to create a backup of the files you want to preserve, format the partition with your desired filesystem, then restore the files.

However, you probably only need to preserve '/home' and '/etc'.  All the other files in '/usr', '/lib', '/var' are system files that can easily be re-created when you re-install.  There is no point in backing up those files unless you've made heavy modifications.  If you've compiled your own kernel, you might want to save /usr/src/linux/.config too.

So, once you've made a backup of /home and /etc, just re-install and then use whatever filesystems you want.  Once the system is installed, you can restore /home.  DO NOT BLINDLY RESTORE /etc!  Files in /etc will have changed between re-installs (most notably /etc/fstab).  You can extract the /etc backup in your /root directory to use as a reference for previous system/application configurations.

To make a backup, you can use the 'tar' command:

tar cvzphf /root/home.tar.gz /home

Now you obviously need to get that archive file off of your system.  If you've got other computers on your network, copy the file there (you can even use Samba to copy the file to a Windoze computer).  Or, if it's small enough, maybe just email it to yourself (assuming that your new mail lives on a remote server).  Or, you can burn it to CD.

HTH,
farphel

Follow the link below, sign up, and accept one promotional offer.  If I can get five suckers (err... friends) to do this, I'll get a free iPod.  Then you too can try to get a free iPod. Thanks! http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=11363142

#5 2004-07-18 14:05:42

jak

matto wrote:

i am using ext3 ... and i want to try jfs

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=4329&start=4

The sturgeon general says don't smoke fish

#6 2004-07-18 23:40:24

cs25x

If you do save your volatile files, repartition your HD into 3 or 4 parts, 1 for boot, and 2 which are about the same size which are going to mirror each other. The 4th could be swap if you need it.

then you can mess as mush as you like. but use rsync to keep the mirrors bright and shiny before you change e.g. from ext to jfs.

The alternative is to make a bigger first partition, and install onto that, and use the other 2 for /home or data or /usr or /opt. Once again rsync before you  zap any data.

Another path to take is to use a seperate HD for your experiments, once again partition it so you can mirror, and you will keep your data. This would be the best way to go if you want to be absolutely certain that you will keep your existing config and data.

--(*(cs25x--));

#7 2004-07-19 16:32:32

matto
Website

ahhhhhhhh
:-)
ok, now i have my jfs partiton... and i tried to copy system files......
here is my mistake :-(
# cp -a bin dev home lost+found proc sbin tmp var boot etc lib mnt opt root sys usr

you see , i copied everything into usr!!!!!!!! f***
ok i could stop that but some files are copied..
can anyone tell me what folders are in usr..... :-/ and ... is it possible to delete files by date ????
thank you

---

ok not soooo bad :-) i saw that home was in usr, deleted it...
just don´t know about the other dirs ....
i searched everything and it seems like just bin and maybe sbin have files from /bin ....
so i think i need a method to delete files from /usr/bin (and maybe sbin) by properties/time+date .... man rm and rm --help didn´t help me to solve this :-/

--------
oh i found a new problem... cp hangs due to some errors with /proc ...... ?!?!?!?!  why??? :-)
greetings matto

-------------
mmm ok, last problem isnt solved by now.... but i have a new one :-)
thistime i did a cp -a (...) /newarch ( <- my mount point of ne jfs partition)
but it broke up because my "new jfs is full" .. but it is about 2 gb biger tahn my old root ...... very very mysterious ... :-)
can anybody tell me whtas going on here :-)
greetings matto

// DAMNiAM //

#8 2004-07-19 20:30:34

morphus

oh i found a new problem... cp hangs due to some errors with /proc ...... ?!?!?!?! why???

proc is just a I call it "logical" directory, it isn't written on your disk. You don't have to copy it, it will be created by kernel

thistime i did a cp -a (...) /newarch ( <- my mount point of ne jfs partition)
but it broke up because my "new jfs is full" .. but it is about 2 gb biger tahn my old root

Ähm, I don't know...perhaps you mounted some windows partitions into your existing filesystem and now you copy everything including these windows partitions?
What ist mount saying?[/code]

#9 2004-07-20 06:55:44

matto
Website

thank you!!!! :-) i´ve had some mounted windows partitons :-)
ok so i do not copy proc.. but, do i have to create /proc dir??? or does my kernel create the directory, too?
greetings matto

// DAMNiAM //

#10 2004-07-20 07:55:50

matto
Website

ok i tried to boot my new jfs partiton and mmm i runs.. but there were several errors.. something with /proc  and something with that my / isnt jfs and if i really want to run something like fsck_jfs..  because something else ... and i just said yes! ;-)

and  it runs!!! so i created an /proc did a reboot and now the only error i get is that  keyboard map de wasnt found?!?!?! :-)

btw i installed kde , before that i used esd (gnome sound mixer, isnt it?) did i have to use arts or whatever?!? are there conflict?!?!? and last :-) i still have some files in /usr which don´t belong there.... sad anybody some ideads?
greetings matto

// DAMNiAM //

#11 2004-07-20 08:48:57

morphus

[morphus@morphbook usr]$ ls
X11R6  abs  bin  etc  include  lib  libexec  local  man  sbin  share  src  var

This is how my usr looks like, perhaps it helps.

And for the kde topic are some ressources on this forum, just use the search routine smile
And if you have one new question please start a new topic, since the kde issues have nothing to do with the topic smile

#12 2004-07-21 22:42:03

cs25x

Well done.

to find out how to use a command, use man, e.g. man cp will give you the flags you can use to get cp to do a recursive copy.

In genereal mc is your best friend for doing anything with files, it will even play MP3s. So deleting files you do not want is easy in mc you just hit the F8 key. F9 gives you a menu.

There may be hidden files you do not want and they may or may not be shown in mc, that can be altered in the config menu from F9

big_smile

--(*(cs25x--));

Board footer