You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-26 21:05:41

moljac024

Shutdown from SliM without typing root password

Something similar to GDM's shutdown button...why does slim need the root password ?

As a second best, I tried setting up acpid to send the shutdown signal upon pressing the power button but that doesn't work until i'm logged in.

Any suggestions ?

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#2 2008-04-26 22:29:09

tigrmesh
IRC Op

Re: Shutdown from SliM without typing root password

Think of it this way:  unix/linux is designed as a multi-user system.  On such a system, you don't want other users to be able to shut down the machine whenever they feel like it.  Of course, if you are the only user, this isn't a problem.

If you have sudo installed, you can use visudo to give your user privilege to run the shutdown command.  Have a look at the man page for sudoers

#3 2008-04-26 23:09:19

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

moljac024 wrote:

Something similar to GDM's shutdown button...why does slim need the root password ?

As said above: bad practice

As a second best, I tried setting up acpid to send the shutdown signal upon pressing the power button but that doesn't work until i'm logged in.

You can do it just fine without having to be logged in. Just check the wiki.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#4 2008-04-27 09:16:58

moljac024

tigrmesh wrote:

If you have sudo installed, you can use visudo to give your user privilege to run the shutdown command.  Have a look at the man page for sudoers

I do have sudo set up so that I can shut down that way. I know that unix is multi user system but this is my laptop we're talking about and only I use it.

B wrote:

You can do it just fine without having to be logged in. Just check the wiki.

Will check the wiki again...

Last edited by moljac024 (2008-04-27 09:18:05)

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#5 2008-04-27 17:12:52

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Just use the DE-independent way of handling it, if you go with the shutdown management tools of Xfce/Gnome/KDE you might need to be logged in indeed.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

Board footer