You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-27 18:00:28

anakin
Website

Multiple login screens with Slim

Has anyone hacked Slim to make it possible to have multiple instances running at the same time so that concurrent login screens are available through vt07, vt08 and so forth?

This can easily be configured within other display/login managers such as XDM or KDM but what I am seeking is a way of achieving this goal using Slim, even if it takes some source code patching.

www.geekslot.com - a place where peculiar people fit

#2 2008-04-27 19:38:18

oliver

Re: Multiple login screens with Slim

just a guess... but slim supports xserver_arguments to bind it to something other than vt7.... maybe try that combined with running it in daemon mode.  You might need to have a different config file for each vt you want

Last edited by oliver (2008-04-27 19:39:44)

#3 2008-04-27 20:37:37

phabulosa
Website

you can use quigy

#4 2008-04-27 21:42:57

anakin
Website

oliver wrote:

just a guess... but slim supports xserver_arguments to bind it to something other than vt7.... maybe try that combined with running it in daemon mode.  You might need to have a different config file for each vt you want

That's what came to my mind first, unfortunately slim creates a lock file under /var/run and even doing something dumb as deleting it to allow another instance of slim won't work.

phabulosa wrote:

you can use quigy

That's an awesome choice and I've been using it in one of my desktops for the last year or so, having said that I would really like to be able to achieve the same with slim since I've got other machine which has some flickering problems using the framebuffer (probably driver related).

www.geekslot.com - a place where peculiar people fit

#5 2008-04-28 13:55:13

oliver

anakin wrote:

That's what came to my mind first, unfortunately slim creates a lock file under /var/run and even doing something dumb as deleting it to allow another instance of slim won't work.

yeah - thats why I mentioned using multiple config files... for vt7 use slim_vt7.conf and so on, each one with a unique lock file.... that would only work if slim allows you to select a conf file as a command line option though

Board footer