You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-28 09:06:15

fuscia

point me in the right direction (pacman question)

when doing pacman -Ss konqueror, i got a short listing that included kmplayer and gnash, but not konqueror. when i did pacman -Si konqueror, i got "error: package 'konqueror' was not found". i've also looked for some other apps that are pretty much standard everywhere and got the same response, so obviously, i've got something wrong. i've tried reading the wiki on pacman and repos, but i'm too new to arch to get any sense of whether or  not i'm even close to heading in the right direction.

#2 2008-04-28 09:10:17

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: point me in the right direction (pacman question)

It is in the "kdebase" package.   If you want a more modular approach then look for kdemod.

#3 2008-04-28 09:14:55

chicha

Hello,

Konqueror is part of the kdebase package :
http://www.archlinux.org/packages/files/12355/
You can have the list included in a package with "pacman -Ql kdebase" (change kdebase by the package you want).

In your case there are no possibilities to know this, and the only thing to do is come and ask in the forum, which is what you did smile.

Fortunatly in most cases "pacman -Ss yoursearchcriteria" will give you what you need. The thing is that Konqueror is considered by Arch developers (and KDE developers) as a part of kdebase. So you do not have a dedicated package for konqueror ...

If you want to have konqueror without the whole KDE things, then you might consider using KDEMod.

EDIT : Allan was faster than me smile

Last edited by chicha (2008-04-28 09:15:41)

#4 2008-04-28 09:34:00

fuscia

thanks for the responses, guys. when i did pacman -Ql kdebase, i still got the same error, but when i did pacman -Ss kdebase, i got a positive response (it makes sense to just list kdebase as all that stuff is usually a dependency for konqueror). i still can't get at kdemod, though. pacman -Ss kdemod gets me a blank response, while pacman -Ql kdemod gives me "error: package "kdemod" not found" (at this point, i have no idea what "Ql" even means). it looks like i have even more learning to do about pacman than i thought. i'm pretty impressed by what little i know already.

#5 2008-04-28 10:00:10

upsidaisium
Website

i doubt that kdemod is in arch's core or extra repositories; i think you can download the kdemod package in arch's *.pkg.tar.gz format from the kdemod site, though.  look up kdemod in the arch wiki, and i'm sure you'll find out all the deets.

Last edited by upsidaisium (2008-04-28 10:01:02)

I've seen young people waste their time reading books about sensitive vampires. It's kinda sad. But you say it's not the end of the world... Well, maybe it is!

#6 2008-04-28 10:04:20

Allan
Pacman
Website

You have to enable the kdemod repo.  See:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDEmod

#7 2008-04-28 10:17:53

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

And another thing:

pacman -Ql kdebase

shows the list of the packages installed with the kdebase package. But you need to have it installed on your system. So I believe this command failed on you because you didn't have kdebase installed.

P.S. I really recommend you yaourt (which is a wrapper for pacman, which also allows you to build packages from AUR automatically) and tupac (a booster for searching the repos and AUR - it depends on yaourt) once you have familiarised with Arch and pacman. They're both in AUR.

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#8 2008-04-28 10:30:36

upsidaisium
Website

correct; pacman --query ... or pacman -Q ... would only search through packages that you have installed.

I've seen young people waste their time reading books about sensitive vampires. It's kinda sad. But you say it's not the end of the world... Well, maybe it is!

#9 2008-04-28 11:04:56

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

By the way, I think it would be nice to have some way of tracing an individual application, even when it is included in a bigger package. I wonder whether this is possible at all. I might think about it in the summer.

Have you Syued today?

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#10 2008-04-28 13:01:54

upsidaisium
Website

sort of like an equivalent to doing a search with apt-file?

#11 2008-04-28 13:02:23

fuscia

thanks for the additional responses. i should be a little clearer by saying that i'm not really interested in kde anything. sometimes, i get bored with the minimalism that is my standard and play with kde for twenty minutes before dumping it again. looking at kde stuff avialable was more about trying to learn pacman than lusting after the 'K'. i did consider konqueror when thinking about a gui browser (i usually use elinks), but i've settled on firefox (it does everything i'd need a gui browser to do). i'm quite happy with xmonad, elinks, mc and all my other terminal toys. if it weren't for the occasional attack of boredom, i could be completely content with what i have.

#12 2008-04-28 15:53:47

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

upsidaisium wrote:

sort of like an equivalent to doing a search with apt-file?

I have used Debian/Debian-based systems for nearly 2 years and I've never used that command, so I don't really know what it does. I will google it sometimes big_smile

Have you Syued today?

#13 2008-04-28 17:42:25

miggy

Apt-file like functionality has been mentioned before...i think i may have seen a feature request as well...one possible solution is googling "site:archlinux.org inurl:packages/files konqueror" for packages that include a file with konquerer in its name.   Depending on what your searching for it may be helpful to try something along the lines of bin/konqueror to narrow the hits.

#14 2008-04-28 19:11:46

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

I was thinking more along the lines of extracting information from the PKGBUILDs, even though I haven't checked what PKGBUILDs for packages like kdebase contain.

Have you Syued today?

Board footer