You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-29 02:40:24

Zerathidune

[solved] can't log in to kde

I'm working on switch some machines over from Red Hat Enterprise Linux to arch, and I'm having an issue with kde.

let me first explain my setup a bit more:

/home is a mounted nfs share on all of these machines, and NIS is used to authenticate logins. I converted one machine over a while ago, and the few people who had logged in to that machine between when I installed arch on it, and today, have no real issues.

everyone else can't log in to kde, or start kde applications. when they try to log in, they get a cursor, and the kdm background image, and the machine just sits there until they kill the X server.

logging in to gnome works, but when they try to start kde apps, nothing happens. doing so from a terminal just results in no output, but they don't seem to terminate either.

new users also have this problem.

the server that these users are actually hosted on is still running RHEL, so I tried changing the contents of the new users home directory to the contents of arch's /etc/skel, but to no avail. same problem. so it's nothing to do with the home directory it would seem.

~/.xsession-errors contains the same thing regardless of whether the account you check has this working or not.

the part of /var/log/Xorg.0.log that seems most relavent is the following:

QSettings: error creating /tmp/0470543827/.qt
QSettings: failed to open file '/tmp/0470543827/.qt/qt_plugins_3.3rc'
QSettings::sync: filename is null/empty

I've been working on this all day and I'm not sure what to make of it. any help would be appreciated.

Edit:

I managed to solve this by copying the .qt directory from my home directory to the home directory of users that couldn't log in. I had to omit the hidden "lock" files in the directory to get it to work.

Last edited by Zerathidune (2008-04-30 20:14:47)

Board footer