You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-29 03:46:19

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

Thinking about staying with Arch...

I've been reading the bbs lately and it seems that it's fashionable to post all these "I'm leaving" threads, so I figured I'd post one... cuz I mean... I wanna be cool too. I hope I got enough 'you should care' in the title. Anyhow, the usual progression of these posts is to go into some mindless demands and useless babbling about my own incompetence as a human being, so naturally I'll follow suit.

So, I plan on staying with Arch unless:
- People stop posting "i'm leaving" threads. They make excellent bathroom reading, and I'm afraid I just can't continue to use Arch if I run out of things to read on the crapper. I really like Arch, but Ubuntu has a plethora of whiny "i'm leaving threads" that could easily satisfy my bathroom needs, but I really like Arch so I'd rather not resort to that.
- People find the forum search button. If people found that, there wouldn't be nearly as much mindless repetative content to read around here, and that'd just make things boring as heck. I'm afraid if I was bored by original content instead of the repetative kind, I just couldn't stand to stick around. I really hope people never find that button, I really like Arch, I'd hate to leave.
- I ever contribute anything useful. I'm afraid I just wouldn't fit in with this community anymore if I started trying to solve problems for myself and contributing useful ideas and code or documentation. If that ever happened, I think I'd have to go elsewhere.
- People stop assuming others will do work for them. It's a simple fact that in any good community, everyone but me should be doing all my work, and the people spending hours of their free time to provide me with software that is distributed "in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE." should be held strictly responsible for every one of my problems and feature requests, as well as any other random demands I might have.

Anyhow, those are my reasons I might be staying with Arch. I think it's really important that everyone reads them and feels sorry for me.

The suggestion box only accepts patches.

#2 2008-04-29 03:50:15

toofishes
Developer
Website

Re: Thinking about staying with Arch...

neotuli wrote:

- People stop posting "i'm leaving" threads. They make excellent bathroom reading, and I'm afraid I just can't continue to use Arch if I run out of things to read on the crapper.

Please don't stop posting these threads! Then I wouldn't have anything to read on my Eee while sitting on the potty.

#3 2008-04-29 03:51:24

skottish
Forum Fellow

This is my new favorite thread...

#4 2008-04-29 04:29:40

Sigi

What a coincidence! I also thought about staying with Arch! smile

Haven't been here in a while. Still rocking Arch. smile

#5 2008-04-29 05:29:52

Allan
Pacman
Website

I did a double take when I read this on the new posts page....  I went, not another one of these threads and then saw who posted it.  Went to the thread and the avatar confirmed my suspicions.  Then I had to actually read the post!

#6 2008-04-29 06:40:49

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

+1 Sarcasm

+1 Raising a conscience (although that won't help for most users...)

Last edited by B (2008-04-29 06:44:39)

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#7 2008-04-29 07:21:23

Arkane

neotuli wrote:

I really like Arch, but Ubuntu has a plethora of whiny "i'm leaving threads" that could easily satisfy my bathroom needs, but I really like Arch so I'd rather not resort to that.

True, Ubuntu has become an even more serious competitor since their 8.04 release.

I think the devs should make Arch more like Ubuntu before we fall too far behind.

Last edited by Arkane (2008-04-29 08:16:04)

What does not kill you will hurt a lot.

#8 2008-04-29 07:51:01

lucke

You mean that the message presented by the scripts proclaiming Arch's superiority needs to be revised?

#9 2008-04-29 08:56:38

dolby

I am very annoyed by all those "hello threads" too.
People should post in my Official Hello Everyone thread instead. And the Official Goodbye for that matter.
There must be thousands of totally useless posts like these. Especially hello ones

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#10 2008-04-29 10:20:10

Mikko777

I'm just as annoyed by the elitist rtfm/ex-gentoo people and the no-search-button ubuntu converts.

Mentioning KISS as leave it as it is argument has to be nro1 annoyance tho tongue

#11 2008-04-29 11:55:39

clarence

i still don't get it are you coming or going or what?

and why exactly should i care again?

wink

fck art, lets dance.

#12 2008-04-29 12:06:04

clarence

but seriously....

i don't get why anybody would bother reading those "i'm leaving' posts. i sure as grandma's pants don't.

if someone wants to leave.... let them leave.... really, it's that simple.... what's the big deal?

i'm so confused....

fck art, lets dance.

#13 2008-04-29 13:10:48

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

You'll be back; they all come back.

Or, I guess if this is a "Thinking of staying" thread...

You'll leave.  They all leave.

#14 2008-04-29 13:42:53

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Cerebral wrote:

You'll leave.  They all leave.

But then they come back! They all come back.

infinite loop anyone?

#15 2008-04-29 13:50:30

sevenfourk

I like "Official Hello Everyone thread", so i posted there when came to arch.

Arkane wrote:

I think the devs should make Arch more like Ubuntu before we fall too far behind.

Only one can say, I don't know Ubuntu good, but I want arch to stay arch, and i think i'm not the only one who considers so smile

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.

#16 2008-04-29 16:03:27

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

You fool!
Let me address some of your so called issues!
By some, I mean all..
By issues, I mean..issues.

neotuli wrote:

- People stop posting "i'm leaving" threads. They make excellent bathroom reading, and I'm afraid I just can't continue to use Arch if I run out of things to read on the crapper. I really like Arch, but Ubuntu has a plethora of whiny "i'm leaving threads" that could easily satisfy my bathroom needs, but I really like Arch so I'd rather not resort to that.

This will never happen. People will always provide good bathroom reading material, If not, I was told by someone at work the other day that, "the internet has books." This was quite the revelation, but it has proven to be true so far.

- People find the forum search button. If people found that, there wouldn't be nearly as much mindless repetative content to read around here, and that'd just make things boring as heck. I'm afraid if I was bored by original content instead of the repetative kind, I just couldn't stand to stick around. I really hope people never find that button, I really like Arch, I'd hate to leave.

This will never happen. The search button has been strategically hidden for a while now. Every day we make the font just a little bit smaller, in the hopes that nobody notices, and we can just make the search link disappear altogether.

- I ever contribute anything useful. I'm afraid I just wouldn't fit in with this community anymore if I started trying to solve problems for myself and contributing useful ideas and code or documentation. If that ever happened, I think I'd have to go elsewhere.

This will never happen. Wait..it might.. but... no.
It cannot be allowed. Who would be stupid enough to do work for free?!

- People stop assuming others will do work for them. It's a simple fact that in any good community, everyone but me should be doing all my work, and the people spending hours of their free time to provide me with software that is distributed "in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE." should be held strictly responsible for every one of my problems and feature requests, as well as any other random demands I might have.

Somehow this ties into the previous bullet point. Somehow.
Like.. the other day I was walking down the street, and someone asked me for a smoke. I don't smoke. I should have went to the store and got him a pack of smokes, walked back, and gave him one. I should know better..I should always carry around a carton of cigarettes just in case someone needs me to give them one.

Anyhow, those are my reasons I might be staying with Arch. I think it's really important that everyone reads them and feels sorry for me.

I certainly did. In fact, now I question everything!
- The nature of the universe! Is it there?
- Should grub have a colored background, or a should it be blank. I am thinking blank... I don't want to know what is being said there.. where is the mystery left in life!?!?
- pants. The internet doesn't require them.. why do stores?

Summary: You daft sack of hammers. If you don't not not dislike arch, then you shouldn't don't not go use a different distro!

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#17 2008-04-29 16:20:41

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I don't really care about all these issues but I surely wonder what Skoal thinks of them.

Dusty

#18 2008-04-29 17:23:03

moljac024

I have one thing to add:

-If people stop posting about how Arch should get a graphical installer I will be very disappointed and will probably leave Arch.....

So, watch out for that one too.

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#19 2008-04-29 17:26:12

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

2402636375_a40236621a_o_d.gif

cactus wrote:

pants. The internet doesn't require them.. why do stores?

#20 2008-04-29 17:41:36

Rumor

cactus wrote:

- pants. The internet doesn't require them.. why do stores?

I think your logic falls apart here. The signs on the doors of your average convenience store say: "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service"

There is no mention of pants. Pants might be entirely optional. Perhaps you should try entering a few stores making certain that you are wearing shoes and shirt but no pants. Once you have tried it a few times and reported back to us, you will then have the empirical data with which to either back up or refute this query.

Smarter than a speeding bullet
My Goodreads profile

#21 2008-04-29 17:52:09

tomk
Forum Fellow

This thread is veering off-topic. Any posters who do not address neotuli's points from his original angst-ridden post will be forced to leave Arch (if they were thinking of staying) or to use Arch (if they were thinking of leaving).

#22 2008-04-30 00:24:05

B-Con
Website

cactus wrote:

This will never happen. The search button has been strategically hidden for a while now. Every day we make the font just a little bit smaller, in the hopes that nobody notices, and we can just make the search link disappear altogether.

tomk wrote:

This thread is veering off-topic. Any posters who do not address neotuli's points from his original angst-ridden post will be forced to leave Arch (if they were thinking of staying) or to use Arch (if they were thinking of leaving).

Gotta love our devs' sense of humor. :-P

#23 2008-04-30 03:38:11

Redroar

Man, cactus. You just gave it away? Or did you? What's a search, by the way. What does rm -rf / do? Hold on, lemme try it. Oh and I'm leaving to go to Arch. I spent so much time with this distro, but Arch is so much better, you know. Just faster, simpler, and the package manager is just oh-so-good.

Stop looking at my signature. It betrays your nature.

#24 2008-04-30 07:12:50

Ghost1227
Forum Fellow
Website

Ok... was having a bad day, scanned the forums and found the oh-so-typical "i'm leaving" post (or so i thought), figured they're usually at least halfway humorous so might as well read another one. Figured out what was REALLY being said and had to laugh. No more bad day for me!

.:[My Blog] || [My GitHub]:.

#25 2008-04-30 11:44:09

idjut

I can't be bothered to leave.

Linux user #403491

"Men have called me mad; but the question is not yet settled, whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence– whether much that is glorious– whether all that is profound– does not spring from disease of thought– from moods of mind exalted at the expense of the general intellect." - E. A. Poe from Eleonora

Board footer