You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-29 01:51:39

kilolima
Website

Confusion over hibernate

Hi,

I think the coolest thing from MS Windows is flawless hibernate.  Now it would great if my linux laptop could do the same thing, especially since it takes so much longer to boot.

I'm a little confused from the wikis what exactly I need to install to get hibernate working.  My system has an encrypted / partition, an un-encrypted /boot, and an un-encrypted swap.  It is also an x64 with an nvidia card, a Dell Vostro 1400.

After installing kdemod, I also installed a program called kdelaptop, which provides a little icon in the bottom right corner of the panel.  I set it to hibernate when the laptop lid was closed and when I did this the machine did turn off.  But after opening the lid and pressing the power button the machine booted normally instead of restoring the hibernated state.  What am I doing wrong here?

Do I also need to install pm-utils or suspend2disk or some other commandline tools to get hibernate to work or is it all built into kdemod?

cheers,

kilolima

#2 2008-04-29 01:58:15

elliott

Re: Confusion over hibernate

I think you need to add resume=/dev/sda(whatever your swap partition is) in the kernel line of your boot loader.

#3 2008-04-29 07:16:10

signor_rossi

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Suspend_to_Disk
Be very careful with that and follow the instructions on suspend to disk very closely or you will screw up your system. I am talking from experience wink . I don't remember exactly what I did wrong (I guess it was the order the things were done in), but I ended up with a corrupted filesystem. I need the experience of others to confirm this, but should he wipe the swap partition once to avoid falling in the same trap as I?

Bye, signor_Rossi.

#4 2008-04-29 15:11:13

thayer
Fellow
Website

kilolima wrote:

Hi,

I think the coolest thing from MS Windows is flawless hibernate...

I could argue this point, since Windows hibernation is anything but flawless for most users, but it's off-topic.

Instead, I would recommend pm-utils as a near-flawless hiberation solution:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pm-utils

In three simple steps you can start suspending/hibernating: install pm-utils, add the Grub resume path, add your user account to the sudo config... done.

This assumes of course that your hardware drivers are in good working order, but then again so does the Windows suspend feature.

Last edited by thayer (2008-04-29 15:11:32)

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

Board footer