You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-28 09:07:00

whaler

KDE-base + lost volume control icon [Solved]

When I installed Arch, KDE could not be installed because a file was missing in the repository, so I chose KDE-base instead. I have found it to be much tidier... smile

However, my volume control icon just said good night, and I am at a loss as to how to get it back, given that KDE-base does not install Kmix. Kmix is not available as a separate module either.

Any tips, short of installing the entire KDE shebang?

Last edited by whaler (2008-04-29 15:25:29)

#2 2008-04-28 10:25:55

lost eden

Re: KDE-base + lost volume control icon [Solved]

It's not really a solution, but you can run alsamixer from a terminal to alter levels until you figure out how to get kmix back.

#3 2008-04-28 11:00:07

sevenfourk

kdemultimedia does have kmix. pacman -S kdemultimedia

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.

#4 2008-04-28 15:17:58

whaler

Thank you for the replies.

I will install kdemultimedia. I did notice that Kubuntu now offers selection/deselction of various KDE-apps wink

While I am at it, I'd like to add simple Delete to the popup-menu in Konqueror, but have not found a way to do so. Is this also missing from KDE base?

#5 2008-04-28 15:34:10

Dirhael

whaler wrote:

While I am at it, I'd like to add simple Delete to the popup-menu in Konqueror, but have not found a way to do so. Is this also missing from KDE base?

No it's not missing, but in a stock kde install it's not enabled by default. Just open kcontrols -> KDE Components -> File Manager -> Behavior and place a checkmark in "Show 'Delete' context menu entries which bypass the trashcan'"

#6 2008-04-28 15:40:29

whaler

Dirhael wrote:
whaler wrote:

No it's not missing, but in a stock kde install it's not enabled by default. Just open kcontrols -> KDE Components -> File Manager -> Behavior and place a checkmark in "Show 'Delete' context menu entries which bypass the trashcan'"

Fine!

I installed kdemultimedia and got my volume control icon back in the tray, but in the process the desktop icons for Home, System, Trash, plus a couple config files I had there, disappeared. So now my desktop is even tidier!

The files themselves are still intact, so I don't miss the icons much, except perhaps for the System...  smile

By the way, how does KDE_mod(?) compare to KDE base with regard to applications?

Last edited by whaler (2008-04-28 15:54:51)

#7 2008-04-28 23:13:10

whaler

My main questions in this thread were satisfactorily answered, so I think [Solved] should be appended to the title. Is this for the moderators to do, or can I do it myself somehow?

#8 2008-04-29 00:07:48

Dirhael

whaler wrote:

My main questions in this thread were satisfactorily answered, so I think [Solved] should be appended to the title. Is this for the moderators to do, or can I do it myself somehow?

If they haven't disabled the option in PunBB, you should be able to just edit your original post. That should give you the option to change the topic title.

As for KDEmod vs KDE, the main difference is that they've split the packages so that you could have installed kmix with fetching the whole kdemultimedia package. The "disadvantage" (if you want to call it that) is that the packages are patched so it's not just a splitted stock KDE. There's also the fact that it does not integrate in ABS so it's a bit more work to do if you need to recompile a package. It's quite painless to install the binaries though, so why not try it and see if you like it? smile

Last edited by Dirhael (2008-04-29 00:08:06)

#9 2008-04-29 15:16:56

whaler

Dirhael wrote:

It's quite painless to install the binaries though, so why not try it and see if you like it? smile

Knowing myself, I guess I will have to... smile

After all, and with some help, I've now got a working chroot environment (still looking for how to create icons for chroot'ed apps, though - I suspect the Debian HowTo is skipping a step and it's not explained in the Arch HowTo - and perhaps I should try to switch from dchroot to the more capable schroot) and am starting to look at Virtualbox. Funny thing, pacman would install the latest version from the "archfr" repository, while yaourt would list it, but not install it... I am also looking forward to an update of the fakeraid/dmraid HowTo.

So many possibilities, so many tweaks...

Thank you for the guidance!

Last edited by whaler (2008-04-29 21:38:45)

Board footer