You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-02 21:34:24

chimeric
Website

Question about moving pages

Hi,

I am about to create an article about using bluetooth under Arch. When I was searching the wiki I found out that the page [Bluetooth] already existed, however it was Italian, so I thought that I just move the site to [Bluetooth (Italian)] (I checked all backlinks in advance!). The thing is that this creates a redirect page. If I understand it right, I can overwrite this redirect, by creating a page [user:chimeric:bluetooth] and simple move this to [Bluetooth], but this would create a redirect from the page in my user namespace then. Pretty confusing wink.

So, I guess the right thing to do in this situation would be to create a page [Bluetooth (Itialiano)] and copy paste the content of the former page to it, fix all link references from other pages, and then edit the original page, right? Or are there other possible methods?

Thanks in advance.

#2 2008-05-02 22:12:00

thayer
Fellow
Website

Re: Question about moving pages

You're on the right path...it doesn't really matter whether you "move" a page, or create a second page/paste content/edit original page.  It's all pretty much the same thing.  When you "move" a page, it creates a second page with the content and replaces the original page content with a redirect tag--you can simply remove this tag and edit as usual.

PS: And thanks for taking the time to update the referring pages...it's a necessary step that's all too easy to overlook.

Last edited by thayer (2008-05-02 22:13:13)

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#3 2008-05-02 22:18:00

chimeric
Website

Re: Question about moving pages

thayer wrote:

You're on the right path...it doesn't really matter whether you "move" a page, or create a second page/paste content/edit original page.  It's all pretty much the same thing.  When you "move" a page, it creates a second page with the content and replaces the original page content with a redirect tag--you can simply remove this tag and edit as usual.

Ah I see, thank you, I haven't noticed that I am able to edit the redirect page by following the "redirected from" link on the moved page smile.

Board footer