You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-03 01:01:09

Raccoon1400

set nautilus as default file manager in kde?

I would give kde a good chance, but I have several issues with konqueror. Is it possible to set nautilus as the default file manager in kde? I have started nautilus from kde before.

Is this possible?

Fustrated Windows users have two options.
1. Resort to the throwing of computers out of windows.
2. Resort to the throwing of windows out of computers.

#2 2008-05-03 14:11:56

pelle.k

Re: set nautilus as default file manager in kde?

Well, how far do you want to go?
Do you want nautilus as the default file manager application, or do you even want it to manage the desktop i.e. root window (wallpaper + icons)?
Nautilus wont be able to handle kde KIO slaves, but it would have GVFS instead. That means you would still have konqueror as file manager through native KDE applications save/load dialog though.

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

#3 2008-05-03 16:40:51

Raccoon1400

I only need it for file browsing. My problems with konqueror are the ways it displays things, like pictures, and it sorts files with numerical filenames alphabetically instead of numerically. I just find nautilus better.

#4 2008-05-03 17:30:33

lucke

Have you tried dolphin? Perhaps it fits your needs.

#5 2008-05-03 17:36:06

pelle.k

OK then. Install nautilus.
control center > file associations > inode > directory [ then add: "nautilus --no-desktop" ] (make sure it's primary in the list)

You'll not be able to open KIO slaves such as media:// with nautilus though. Maybe you should create launchers on the desktop running "nautilus --no-desktop computer://" etc?
There are some other cosmetic changes you can do as well, such as installing gnome-volume-manager, gnome-settings-dameon, gnome-control-center etc.

Another way is just to add "nautilus --no-desktop" as default application for inode > directory, but don't add it as *primary*, but secondary application, so you can right click and choose "open with nautilus" on the desktop/konqueror.

I've successfully run a complete nautilus desktop replacing konqueror as root window and file manager, and it works really good actually.
I did uncheck "icons on desktop" and disabled wallpaper in kcontrol.
Had to disable "hal backend" in kde to let gnome-volume-manager take care of hal mounts; "HalBackendEnabled=false" in .kde/share/config/mediamanagerrc
Then i had to run "gnome-settings-daemon &" in .kde/Autostart/startup (this file should be executable, as usual) (nautilus itself is a GUI application and will survive  the next session on it's own, because of KDE session managment)
I took the easy route and installed the whole "gnome" metapackage instead of selective packages though.
The only problem was that kedit.desktop didn't want to start as default application for say, text files, but i had to enter kedit manually in that box you get during "open with dialog".
I bastardized KDE, i know big_smile
It was worth it! hehe

BTW dolphin/d3lphin is really good too, as lucke pointed out.

You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.

SETH / Jane Roberts

#6 2008-05-03 18:20:09

Bestiapeluda

why? why on earth??? If you dont like Konqueror try Dolphin.
You can also try thunar, but nautilus ?? why? why on earth???

#7 2008-05-03 18:28:45

kensai
Website

HAHA, well, once you get used to nautilus it becomes an addiction, and I do understand one misses it when using a KDE desktop. wink

Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

#8 2008-05-03 19:56:56

Raccoon1400

Okay. The only issue now is the system menu items won't work.
Eg. system:///home
How can I edit the command behind them?

#9 2008-05-03 21:51:02

Raccoon1400

How do I get nautilus to do the desktop too?

I think it does, but how do I check?

Last edited by Raccoon1400 (2008-05-03 22:00:13)

#10 2008-05-03 22:41:32

pelle.k

Okay. The only issue now is the system menu items won't work.

Yeah, thats what i told you. If you make it your primary "file manager", kde will throw KIO urls (from system menu etc.) on it and that wont work. Tell you what, a nice way have your "own" system menu is to add a "quick file browser" on kicker pointing to the a directory where you create a few launchers. (like "nautilus --no-desktop computer://", "nautilus --no-desktop trash://", "nautilus --no-desktop smb://". OK? that is pretty much what the system menu does anyway...

How do I get nautilus to do the desktop too?

Well, running just "nautilus &", without the --no-desktop does that.

SETH / Jane Roberts

#11 2008-05-03 23:18:33

Raccoon1400

That;s what it says, but the desktop icons still look different than in nautilus.

#12 2008-05-04 01:41:01

thayer
Fellow
Website

I think that the real issue here, which has yet to be explained, is that you are attempting to integrate an application (that is particularly written for one environment) with a completely foreign environment.  While not entirely accurate, it'd be like taking Windows Explorer and trying to run it on Mac, as a replacement for Finder.  Sure, you might be able to make it run, but you can't expect it to show Microsoft Windows icons on your Mac desktop, and provide all of the functionality that the Finder had--it just doesn't work that way.

Nautilus is deeply entrenched in GNOME.
Konqueror is deeply entrenched in KDE.

You can't run Konqueror in GNOME and expect to have all the features that Nautilus provides, and the same goes the other way around.  They're written for two completely different environments that use completely different standards of operation.

You won't see GNOME's icons on your desk, because you are running KDE--not GNOME.

Frankly, if you think running Nautilus is worth all this trouble, you are probably better off running GNOME altogether.

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#13 2008-05-04 01:49:08

pelle.k

That;s what it says, but the desktop icons still look different than in nautilus.

If you look closer i explain all steps you need to take to have nautilus run the desktop. You might have missed a step or so. If there are kde icons left on the desktop, i'm certain you did, since that was one of the steps i explained. 
That said, just like thayer explained, nautilus was never really meant to intergrate in kde, so this is what you get. No kde icons, no kde KIO slaves etc.

Last edited by pelle.k (2008-05-04 01:53:58)

SETH / Jane Roberts

#14 2008-05-04 14:19:59

Raccoon1400

Thanks. Now it is working.
As soon as I unchecked show Icons on desktop, the wallpaper and Icons I had in GNOME showed up.
I am probably better of with gnome. I have used it most of the time, but wanted more experience with kde.

Board footer