You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-16 02:15:19

random.bits

Squeezecenter and new perl

I normally download slimserver/squeezecenter server software from slimdevices and just run the script on start up.
With the recent changes to perl, it appears that the squeezecenter server software cannot find the module YAML::Syck

I used pacman verified that perl-yaml and perl-yaml-syck was loaded (I refreshed them.)
When that did not work, I went to the wiki and tried to figure out how to ensure all modules were visible (i.e. in the right path)

OK, I am a little tired, it's been hell at work, and I haven't been able to access the music on the slim server for three days  sad

Would some kind soul help me here. What can I do to chase down this error better? Is there something I am not setting up properly for perl?

I have not done any serious perl programming since the 80's (yes I still have the camel t-shirt I got from fatbrain, somewhere), so consider me a newbie. Use simple concepts tongue

Thank you

#2 2008-04-21 21:25:47

random.bits

Re: Squeezecenter and new perl

So, when I first had this problem I did a forum search for squeezecenter and did not find this post http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=46007

I took a look at this post and found out that someone has packaged slimserver. I installed it, but still get the message:

:: Starting SlimServer                                                                    [BUSY]
The following modules failed to load: YAML::Syck

To download and compile them, please run: /home/slimserver/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl YAML::Syck

Exiting..

I built and installed the mod-perl package that Allan (Mugen) suggested, but it does not make a difference.
I asked the slimserver community when perl 5.10 will be supported (other posts mention that it is not supported with the generic package - though various linux flavors have been addressed.) but have not heard back.

Any help would be appreciated greatly.

#3 2008-05-04 03:53:18

pjmattal
Forum Fellow

After much much wrangling, I think I have Squeezecenter 7.0 at least basically working with perl 5.10 under Arch. I believe it also requires mod_perl 2.0.4.

Both can be found, both PKGBUILD materials and binaries for i686, in:

http://gerolde.archlinux.org/~paul/squeeze7

Please give these a try and let me know how they work for you! Thanks to all for the useful threads that have made this result possible.

- P

#4 2008-05-04 17:44:42

random.bits

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your efforts. It almost works for me...

When I finished building and installing your packages, I ran the command /etc/rc.d/squeezecenter start
Unfortunately, I got the same "The following modules failed to load: YAML::Syck" messages.

I logged as squeezecenter (minor passwd file change) and then ran the build-perl-modules.pl script.
I then restarted squeezecenter, and though it gave some errors:
Useless use of a constant in void context at /home/squeezecenter/Slim/Networking/Slimproto.pm line 104.
(and two others I did not save)

It started! I was able to configure the squeezecenter, but not able to rebuild the database.
After sometime, it no longer would start, as it was complaining of another instance of the squeezecenter running, even if I stopped using the rc.d script

I rebooted the machine, but now on start up I get the messages:
Useless use of a constant in void context at /home/squeezecenter/Slim/Networking/Slimproto.pm line 104.
Can't call method "log" on an undefined value at /home/squeezecenter/CPAN/Log/Log4perl/Appender.pm line 189.

and it exits (leavng it's mysql instances running.)

I know it's close, but I do not know what to do next.

Your help is really appreciated.

Mark

#5 2008-05-05 00:50:19

random.bits

Hi Paul,

I tried again with the pre-built squeezecenter package you had. It works much better. I still get

but no other error message.

I am able to use the squeezebox, but the database does not get built.

I am just starting to look into this, to see why.

Thanks again for your help. At least I can play whats in my Music Folder.

Mark

#6 2008-05-05 01:33:06

random.bits

OK, I ran the scanner script directly, and found that the scanner.log file in /home/squeezecenter/Logs was owned by root. Not sure how that happened, but once it was removed the database scanner appears to work fine.
I noticed that using your package, there is a reference to a softsqueeze client at e0:4a:a7:02:f8:e6. It may be yours.

So, I was unable to build the package myself, but by using the one you provided, it worked with minimal effort.

Thanks, its been a few weeks since I have been able to use my squeezebox. It's amazing how quick you get used to custom playlists. It was also a pain to have to go into my crawl space to find cd's to play.

Mark smile

#7 2008-05-05 12:10:01

pjmattal
Forum Fellow

Glad it's doing something for you! It's working for me pretty well, too.

I need to take another shot at fixing those permissions. Everything in the /home/squeezecenter should be owned by the squeezecenter user, I'd think.

Thanks for the feedback, and glad this was a help!

- P

#8 2009-07-19 23:46:03

print

I had to add:

dbsource dbi:mysql:database=slimserver;mysql_socket=/tmp/mysql.sock

in the prefs file to get mine to work (Using system MySQL, not SC-provided).

% whereis whatis whence which whoami whois who

#9 2009-07-19 23:47:38

Allan
Pacman
Website

Board footer