You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-04 17:26:00

Akaly

Several noob questions piled up(Login problem, packages ++)

I've been trying to learn more about Arch today, but I've come to a point where all my problems are stopping me from progressing any further, and to avoid making a million threads about all my questsions I'll just ask them all here in one thread.

1. I've installed GNOME and it's login manager, but I can't login as root through it, although my password is just blank(was planning to change it. smile). I can login through the CLI by just typing root, but when I try to use the GNOME login GUI it just tells me my password is wrong when I try to enter nothing. I have no idea how to fix this.

2. Everytime I reboot my PC I have to type "dhcpcd eth0" into the command line to get online. Any way to automate this at startup?

3. Is there a way to get a GUI for removing/installing packages?

4. How do I stop the beep driver?

5. Is there a reason for GNOME coming with so much crap pre-installed? I like to use it for handling my windows, but I don't want the stupid browser, a million games or everything else I don't need. It's even more bloated than Windows Vista.

6. And last, what packages are useful for getting a control panel(getting most settings in one place, preferably though a GUI) so I can make changes faster without having to edit each and every config file as text?

#2 2008-05-04 17:29:35

dolby

Re: Several noob questions piled up(Login problem, packages ++)

i suggest making yourself familiar with the Archlinux Wiki http://wiki.archlinux.org/

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#3 2008-05-04 17:43:10

Isomorphism

I am a linux newbie actually. Anyway here's my two cents on it...

Akaly wrote:

2. Everytime I reboot my PC I have to type "dhcpcd eth0" into the command line to get online. Any way to automate this at startup?

Open rc.conf (that is in /etc/) with a text editor. Now look for a section on Networking.You must have the following fields there..

HOSTNAME=yourhostname
eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(eth0)
gateway="default gw 192.168.1.1"
ROUTES=(gateway)

Akaly wrote:

3. Is there a way to get a GUI for removing/installing packages?

pacman is wonderful as it is. But I remember someone on the forum(I think finferflu) saying there is an app called "shaman" that is a GUI...What problems are you facing with pacman?

Akaly wrote:

6. And last, what packages are useful for getting a control panel(getting most settings in one place, preferably though a GUI) so I can make changes faster without having to edit each and every config file as text?

What type of settings are you looking at? As dolby suggested, go through http://wiki.archlinux.org/

Regards,
Isomorphism

#4 2008-05-04 17:44:38

dolby

Isomorphism wrote:

I am a linux newbie actually. Anyway here's my two cents on it...

Akaly wrote:

Open rc.conf (that is in /etc/) with a text editor. Now look for a section on Networking.You must have the following fields there..

HOSTNAME=yourhostname
eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(eth0)
gateway="default gw 192.168.1.1"
ROUTES=(gateway)

you should read the wiki too wiki.archlinux.org tongue

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#5 2008-05-04 17:55:22

Isomorphism

Whats wrong with my settings in rc.conf dolby?:(

Thanks,
Isomorphism

#6 2008-05-04 18:28:23

dolby

nothing but that is not the way to automatically start dhcpd on boot wink

#7 2008-05-04 18:49:15

ghostHack

For 1) The gnome login Manager (gdm) has root login disabled by default.  You can change this by going to System -> Administration -> Login Window and then under the Security tab slect 'Allow local administrator to login'.  However there is very little reason to run a full X session as root.  Running specific apps via 'gksu' is usually sufficient.

For 5) If you did pacman -S gnome then you installed the gnome group, which includes around 20 packages (run pacman -Sg gnome to see which), if you don't want the browser for instance you can pacman -R epiphany.  However gnome is a full desktop environment so you might not be able to remove some core things.  If all you are interested in is a window manager the you could look at something like openbox or fluxbox.

#8 2008-05-04 19:00:11

Isomorphism

dolby wrote:

nothing but that is not the way to automatically start dhcpd on boot wink

lol Ok... Let me guess... Is it the "network" in the DAEMONS line? tongue

Last edited by Isomorphism (2008-05-04 19:00:40)

Board footer