You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-30 14:23:43

tony5429

Forwarding E-mail

I run a server which hosts the website, norpass.com. Just yesterday, I had the MX records switched to point from a different server to this one and now I am wondering if I shouldn't be able to receive @norpass.com emails. I tried sending an email from my personal e-mail account to test@norpass.com but I got a "Mail Delivery Subsystem" error back from it. I am currenly running postfix on the server. Is it possible to configure postfix to receive e-mails (and forward them to different e-mail accounts) or do I need to install some other software?

#2 2008-04-30 16:02:26

tony5429

Re: Forwarding E-mail

I found that I do not have a /etc/aliases on my server so I created it with the following line...

root: mail@email.com

where mail@email.com is the e-mail I want to forward incoming e-mail to. Then I ran newaliases as root and tried to send an e-mail to root@norpass.com. However, I got the same Mail Delivery Subsystem error:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

root@norpass.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
PERM_FAILURE: Gmail tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. The error that the other server returned was: 554 554 5.7.1 <root@norpass.com>: Relay access denied. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. Thanks for your continued support. (state 14)

#3 2008-04-30 16:15:25

tony5429

#4 2008-04-30 23:55:50

tony5429

Well, I have not installed that imap software and have found that I simply needed to edit my /etc/rc.conf and /etc/hosts so that the hostname of the server is in fact norpass.com. Now I can receive any e-mails sent to root@norpass.com. However, I still would like to forward these e-mails to a different account. Editing /etc/aliases to say root:mail@email.com and issuing newaliases doesn't seem to help. I am still getting the e-mails at the server itself but it is not forwarding them to my other address.... Any ideas anyone???

#5 2008-05-03 13:10:02

johnvoisey

Hi tony5429 let me see if I get this straight.

You say you are "norpass.com" and you want to forward them somewhere else.
Do you mean someone.else@norpass.com or someone.else@somewhere.else.altogether.com

/etc/mail/aliases will only help you reroute stuff to someone.else@norpass.com

To send to another domain you need to start geting into VIRTUAL. check out what /etc/postfix/virtual has to say but in brief I can forward mail addressed to fred@mydomain.co.uk on to fred1234567@hotmail.co.uk by entering THIS in /etc/postfix/virtual

"fred@mydomain.co.uk                   fred1234567@hotmail.co.uk"

you'll need to ensure you've got a virtual_alias_maps command in your main.cf and you'll need to create the virtual.db file.

hope that helps

#6 2008-05-06 16:46:43

tony5429

johnvoisey: Thanks for the information. I was trying to forward the e-mails to a remote address, and I did find a solution - I created a separate user on the server for each incoming e-mail and in each user's home folder, created a .forward file with the remote address. All is working now; thanks again!

Board footer