You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-07 16:02:01

Dr Small
Website

Console Screen Size??

Either the font is too big, or the screen size for the console (Virtual Terminals).
When I open Vim, for example, I can not see the bottom of the editor, (and can not see what commands I am typing). If I close vim, it stays on the screen, and I have to press Enter multiple times to push the screen down, just so I can see the prompt.

And then the prompt acts like you can't type at it (no text is outputted on the screen), yet you can type. I generally have to type exit each time it does this to me, and then login again.

As you can imagine, it is very annoying, any yet I don't know what exactly is happening to diagnose or search for a remedy. Has anyone ever heard of something like this before?

Dr Small

#2 2008-05-07 19:09:23

lloeki
Website

Re: Console Screen Size??

I had a hard time understanding what you mean, but to clarify: you mean that the rendered image of the screen does not fit the physical screen in some way and is cropped at the bottom? is it fine in X?

maybe you should try using a framebuffer and use another resolution for console. try to add vga=791 or something (there's a handy table in /boot/grub/menu.lst) at the end of your kernel command line.

Last edited by lloeki (2008-05-07 19:10:20)

To know recursion, you must first know recursion.

#3 2008-05-07 19:48:21

Dr Small
Website

Re: Console Screen Size??

Thanks. That really helped! I added:

vga=771

And it works much better and is still readable smile
Thanks again.

Dr Small

Board footer