You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-06 13:49:30

arkheii

Missing python libraries such as rsvg

Hello, I'm new to Arch Linux and Linux in general. I've just manually installed tpfand and tpfan-admin from https://launchpad.net/tp-fan which are fan controllers for Thinkpads. I had some trouble running tpfan-admin, because it was looking for a missing python import for rsvg.

So I commented everything that had to do with (r)svg in tpfan-admin/fan.py and was finally able to run tpfan-admin, just without the svg graphics for the fan. I ran it as unprivileged and pressed the Unlock button, expecting a popup asking for the root password. It crashed with the following output:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/tpfan-admin", line 24, in <module>
    tpfanadmin.globals.temperature_dialog.run()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/tpfanadmin/temperaturedialog.py", line 297, in run
    os.execvp(build.run_as_root_cmd, build.run_as_root_args)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/os.py", line 353, in execvp
    _execvpe(file, args)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/os.py", line 389, in _execvpe
    func(fullname, *argrest)
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Running tpfan-admin as root works fine, but I'm worried that something messy is going on. Is there a clean way to install these Thinkpad fan control programs through pacman? Also, where can I get other python modules such as rsvg?

Thanks.

#2 2008-05-07 01:22:05

tigrmesh
IRC Op

Re: Missing python libraries such as rsvg

Try searching the AUR for
fancontrol

I think you'll see a fan control script in there.  Here's a short tutorial to installing packages from AUR:  http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR … NSUPPORTED.

Edit:  Welcome to Arch!

Last edited by tigrmesh (2008-05-07 01:22:40)

#3 2008-05-08 06:57:45

arkheii

Re: Missing python libraries such as rsvg

There's a fan controller for the T60, but I doubt it would work on my R40. Thanks for the AUR tip though, I found dtach there as well smile

I found a fancontrol script under /usr/bin/ which relied on pwmconfig. pwmconfig bugs out on me saying something about fan divisors, but it has the nice side-effect of leaving my fans at 100%, which was exactly what I needed. Except that putting it in my rc.local script or running it as a daemon in rc.conf stops the fans after a few seconds rather than leaving them on. Am I doing something wrong? For now I'm forced to run pwmconfig manually on login. I really intend the laptop to be a personal server as well as for folding 24/7 so I'd prefer being able to start the fans without having to login.

Board footer