You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-08 17:42:16

inXistant
Website

Laptop-mode and / or cpufreq --> governor stuck at highest speed on AC

Hello all,

This is no longer a problem but I am a bit puzzled and I'd like to understand what was wrong in my setting.

When I was using both daemons laptop-mode and cpufreq the scaling governor of my cpus whas stuck at the highest speed on AC and the lowest on Battery... Changing the governor did not change the frequency but registered the governor correctly and inputing

cpufreq-set -c0 -f 800000 [or whatever permitted value]

did not change the frequency but I got no error message.

Some info:

CPU :: AMD Turion X2 @2300000
Drivers :: powernow-k8

I solved the problem by disabling both daemons and now, everything works well with  the cpufreq-set. So to say, the problem is solved. However, is this a bug with either of the two daemons? Is this because the daemons should not run together etc?

Thanks in advance for your inputs!

Last edited by inXistant (2008-05-08 18:05:32)

Nothing is sacred

#2 2008-05-08 17:54:21

inXistant
Website

Re: Laptop-mode and / or cpufreq --> governor stuck at highest speed on AC

By the way, a very odd thing too is that now that I disabled these too deamons, with the very same settings on the processor, the laptop is running cooler by 5 degrees... I can't believe that the daemons where making that much queries so that it would cause an increase of 5 degrees... This is very puzzling.......

Last edited by inXistant (2008-05-08 18:05:59)

Nothing is sacred

#3 2008-05-08 18:25:05

inXistant
Website

Re: Laptop-mode and / or cpufreq --> governor stuck at highest speed on AC

If anybody encounter the same problem and apply the same tweaks, you must uninstall laptop-mode-tools or it will be restarted by acpid. Moreover, you should modify your wakeup script if need be in /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/ or else the governor will kick back to maximum speed when coming out from suspend / hibernate.

Last edited by inXistant (2008-05-08 19:16:35)

Nothing is sacred

Board footer