You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-09 21:30:02

aport

Cross compiling kernel module

I've installed debian linux on a Linksys NSLU2, and it's pretty freakin awesome. I have a Novatel U727 EVDO stick that I want to use on the device, and I need to recompile a kernel module (airprime) to do this. I would assume that it takes a long time to compile something on this device, that is if the little CPU in here could do it without exploding.

Ideally, I would like to compile the module for the NSLU2 kernel on my main machine, which is running Archlinux. I'm not sure exactly what I'll need and how to go about doing this. If anyone could direct me to a good guide on cross compiling or something, I would greatly appreciate it.

#2 2008-05-10 11:16:40

chimeric
Website

Re: Cross compiling kernel module

aport wrote:

I've installed debian linux on a Linksys NSLU2, and it's pretty freakin awesome. I have a Novatel U727 EVDO stick that I want to use on the device, and I need to recompile a kernel module (airprime) to do this. I would assume that it takes a long time to compile something on this device, that is if the little CPU in here could do it without exploding.

You're right, I own one as well and compiling the truecrypt module (from the version that still used a kernel module) took a little more than 24 hours wink. However, the box can do it, you have to be very patient and don't freak out when the compile process seems to have stopped.

aport wrote:

Ideally, I would like to compile the module for the NSLU2 kernel on my main machine, which is running Archlinux. I'm not sure exactly what I'll need and how to go about doing this. If anyone could direct me to a good guide on cross compiling or something, I would greatly appreciate it.

The best solution, because you directly compile on a debian machine and use the gcc and the tools provided by the distribution which are known to work together, I've found up to now is by running the debian arm port on a qemu emulated machine [1]. I've tried various times to build a cross compiler directly on arch but always failed up to now (probably because I am kinda new to cross compiling in general wink).

[1] http://www.aurel32.net/info/debian_arm_qemu.php

Board footer