You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-09 17:47:30

Reploid

Wifi works in Mint, not in Arch and I am STUCK. Heeelp!!

I am stuck and I need help.

I don't really understand it, it should be pretty straighforward, even for a total n00b like me. I have a standard Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (rev 02), which is pretty common these days. I dual boot with linux mint, and wifi is OK in Mint.

I have read the wiki on netcfg2, the beginner's guide, and the wireless wiki.

I can scan by using iwlist scan, so the driver should be fine.

After copying the wpa.example file and filling in my password, the netcfg give the output: (my network is called lol, I have such a hard time with wifi in linux, it is to laugh at big_smile )

[root@archcomputer reploid]# netcfg2 lol.example
:: lol.example up                                                        [DONE] 
[root@archcomputer reploid]#

I should be able to browse the web using my wireless interface, but I can't. sad

The whole output from ifconfig, lsmod, netcfg2, etc is here: http://pastebin.com/me8548a4

I don't even have a clue anymore what I should look for. Can anybody give me a hint before I see if I can get it working by installing network-manager?

Last edited by Reploid (2008-05-09 17:49:12)

#2 2008-05-09 17:58:07

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Wifi works in Mint, not in Arch and I am STUCK. Heeelp!!

This is what I have done to get it working.
I have to created (getting hits using the example file) a config file for my connection and put it in /etc/network.d/ (I called it "home").
Then added "net-profiles" to the DAEMONS array in /etc/rc.conf and I added the name of the config file in /etc/network.d (home) to the NETWORKS array.

Try that, reboot and see if works.

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#3 2008-05-09 18:11:36

Reploid

Will try. Is the .examples extension necessary?

Are there anything else I need to type in the rc.conf file beside "net-profiles" under DAEMONS, and the name lol.examples in NETWORKS?

Do I need to list wlan0 next to eth0? This is how it looks like in my file now.

# Wireless: See network profiles below
#
#eth0="eth0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255"
eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(eth0)

Oh, and do I need to comment out the NETWORKS word?

#4 2008-05-09 18:18:21

lexiw

Reploid wrote:

Will try. Is the .examples extension necessary?

No

Reploid wrote:

Do I need to list wlan0 next to eth0?

No

Reploid wrote:

Oh, and do I need to comment out the NETWORKS word?

No

Here is mine:

eth0="eth0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255"
INTERFACES=(!eth0)

(I don't need eth0 but maybe you do)

NETWORKS=(hwl)

cat /etc/network.d/hwl

CONNECTION="wireless"
INTERFACE=wlan0
SCAN="yes"
SECURITY="wpa"
ESSID="stayout"
KEY="yeah"
IP="dhcp"
TIMEOUT=20

Verify pacman -Qi iwlwifi-3945-ucode
Check if your ip is valid (assigned by dhcp?) and try to ping a valid ip.

#5 2008-05-09 18:23:39

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

The .example extension is not needed (it's there on the example file to indicate it is an example file tongue)

Under DAEMONS you usually put what you want to be run as a daemon at startup.

If you use wireless only, leave INTERFACES empty, i.e. INTERFACES=() and comment eth0="dhcp" on the previous line. You will activate wlan0 through the net-profiles (as the comment says "Wireless: See network profiles below").

As for NETWORKS, yes, you need to comment it out, otherwise it won't be processed.

EDIT: sorry I'm getting confused now. Comment out = removing the # right? I'm spending too much time in this bloody library tongue

Have you Syued today?

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#6 2008-05-09 18:30:48

Reploid

Verify pacman -Qi iwlwifi-3945-ucode

Explicitly installed. Version 2.14.1.5-2

I don't really understand the adding of the word net-profiles in the daemons section; pacman -Q doesn't return any net-profiles package on my system and pacman -Ss doesn't return any net-profiles package. So what is net-profiles? There is no man entry for netcfg2...

And just for understanding purpose; what is the purpose of putting any profiles in the rc.conf file if I want to swap between networks at will? Can i do that using netcfg, or do I need another manager for that?

EDIT: sorry I'm getting confused now. Comment out = removing the # right? I'm spending too much time in this bloody library

Yeah, removing the #

And please don't give me a bad conscience for not studying in the library. wink

If you use wireless only, leave INTERFACES empty, i.e. INTERFACES=() and comment eth0="dhcp" on the previous line. You will activate wlan0 through the net-profiles (as the comment says "Wireless: See network profiles below").

If I want to be able to use both, should I put a # in front of the eth0=dhcp and make a profile for ethernet for netcfg2 to read, just like the wireless profile, and list it under NETWORKS?

Last edited by Reploid (2008-05-09 18:34:40)

#7 2008-05-09 18:47:02

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

If you want to use eth0, just leave eth="dhcp" uncommented and INTERFACES=(eth0). You need net-profiles for wireless only.

As for net-profiles, that is part of netcfg2, so it's not a package on its own.
I am not so sure about swapping networks with netcfg2, since I only use one regularly. If you want a GUI to do that, I suggest you to use Wicd. Or wait for a more educated user in this matter tongue

Don't worry for me, I'm studying hard, spending my days in here yikes

Have you Syued today?

#8 2008-05-09 19:08:53

Reploid

Up and running!!!!

You need net-profiles for wireless only.

Strangely, however, there are .examples files for ethernet configuration as well. I tried to use that combination file in my NETWORKS (), but it didn't work out.

I see. Didn't say anywhere, but I should have known.

Do you know of a way to swap back and forth between wireless and eth0 without having to reboot?

And last but not least

Thank you guys, I would not have managed this without help.

#9 2008-05-09 19:24:19

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Try with (as root):

/etc/rc.d/network restart

Have you Syued today?

#10 2008-05-09 22:58:46

moljac024

Or you could use networkmanager instead.....that's what I use for my laptop, it's much easier, you have a tray icon and you can just click click clickady click smile

I know it's present in fedora and Ubuntu, so Mint (being an Ubuntu spin-off) probably uses it too, so chances are you are already familiar with it.

Last edited by moljac024 (2008-05-09 22:59:34)

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#11 2008-05-10 00:53:33

synthead

Reploid wrote:

Up and running!!!!

You need net-profiles for wireless only.

Strangely, however, there are .examples files for ethernet configuration as well. I tried to use that combination file in my NETWORKS (), but it didn't work out.

I see. Didn't say anywhere, but I should have known.

Do you know of a way to swap back and forth between wireless and eth0 without having to reboot?

And last but not least

Thank you guys, I would not have managed this without help.

Set up a profile for your wired and wireless connection, each representing the configuration necessary for the interfaces, then ...

#netcfg2 wired_connection
#netcfg2 wireless_connection

smile

#12 2008-05-10 15:24:17

MONODA

have a look at this thread, read the whole thing: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=44784

Board footer