You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-03 02:53:11

ronandi

Possible to tile windows in openbox?

Can you (looks great on awesome...wanna do something similar on openbox)

Mobo:Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-P35-DS4 Rev. 2.0 // Processor:Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 3 GHz
Memory:Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066) 2046MB RAM
Video Card: MSI NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512 (G92) 730mhz Sound Card: ASUS Xonar Essence STX Headphones: Sennheiser HD555
Openbox & PyPanel

#2 2008-05-03 02:58:42

Sigi

Re: Possible to tile windows in openbox?

Why do you want to stick with openbox if you want tiling. Why not switching to dwm, wmii, awesome, xmonad, ... ?

Haven't been here in a while. Still rocking Arch. smile

#3 2008-05-03 03:00:33

ronandi

Sigi wrote:

Why do you want to stick with openbox if you want tiling. Why not switching to dwm, wmii, awesome, xmonad, ... ?

As a quick fix. For at least a week or two I will have no time to do anything of this sort (time-consuming, even if installation is easy...ill just keep going)

Mobo:Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-P35-DS4 Rev. 2.0 // Processor:Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 3 GHz
Video Card: MSI NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512 (G92) 730mhz Sound Card: ASUS Xonar Essence STX Headphones: Sennheiser HD555
Openbox & PyPanel

#4 2008-05-03 03:03:03

k.mandla
Website

This site used to have a package called "tile" that worked with Debian and Ubuntu and did just that.

http://ftp.unixdev.net/pub/debian-udev/ … in/t/tile/

The site doesn't seem to work any more, and I couldn't find anything called "tile" on the Debian package search pages. Perhaps if you search around or use archive.org, you can find the source code and build it again.

Linux user No. 409907

#5 2008-05-03 13:45:17

ronandi

k.mandla wrote:

This site used to have a package called "tile" that worked with Debian and Ubuntu and did just that.

http://ftp.unixdev.net/pub/debian-udev/ … in/t/tile/

The site doesn't seem to work any more, and I couldn't find anything called "tile" on the Debian package search pages. Perhaps if you search around or use archive.org, you can find the source code and build it again.

yeah I found that link too... its not on archive.org either... I guess ill just search around some more

EDIT: actually, if you go to unixdev.net the site is working, but if you click anything you'll get apache errors. So the files are all still on their server. I used google cache to get to that link, and then I could use the link there to download the file big_smile

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:jB … cd=1&gl=us

Last edited by ronandi (2008-05-03 13:50:06)

Openbox & PyPanel

#6 2008-05-14 20:01:25

haench

hi ronandi, thank you for providing the link. this is a nice little app!

i want to use it with openbox. i dont want a real tiling WM because i use tiling only in rare cases.

Did you figure out how to configure it? i dont understand the way i have to configure a profile!

greetz haench

Edit: I especially can't figure out how to use the wmavoid file to avoid i.e. conky from beeing tiled.

Last edited by haench (2008-05-14 20:21:20)

#7 2008-05-14 20:32:50

vogt

haench wrote:

i want to use it with openbox. i dont want a real tiling WM because i use tiling only in rare cases.

Tiling in a floating wm, or floating in a tiling wm.

They sound like the same thing. And the floating layer in most tiling WMs seem pretty decent (minus familiar decorations), so use whatever floats your boat smile

#8 2008-05-14 20:54:38

dunc

haench wrote:

Edit: I especially can't figure out how to use the wmavoid file to avoid i.e. conky from beeing tiled.

This had me tearing my hair out too. I've forgotten now exactly how I worked it out, but looking at my tile rc, it seems you have to include your hostname as part of conky's WM_NAME:

avoid WM_NAME Conky ($HOSTNAME)

Put it in explicitly, not as an environment variable; that's just to illustrate what I mean.

0 Ok, 0:1

#9 2008-05-14 21:12:40

Rasi
Website

Not exactly tiling, but openbox has a fullscreen mode...

Here the part from my rc.xml:

<keybind key="A-F12">
      <action name="ToggleFullscreen"/>
    </keybind>

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#10 2008-05-14 21:27:11

Abelian

I'm pretty certain I saw something somewhere that said it would be easy to implement tiling in openbox? Would be a great addition if it did....

#11 2008-05-15 06:35:00

haench

@dunc: Thank you that did the job smile

haench

#12 2008-05-15 07:38:00

xd-0
Website

Wel, if you only need tiling for some apps, you could make a meny option that starts the window in a different size. For example in urxvt you could do this;

urxvt -geometry 115x50+355+50

#13 2008-05-15 17:17:11

tuxfusion

hi ..

tile-windows 0.7.4-1  is in aur , tile was already taken so this other name was used

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=16168

ill give it a try too again , i need to set up some config i guess  , to f.i. not tile conky n stuff ,
or just tile some specific things although i hardly see use for me now
a lil transperancy in the console and you can even read the webpage behind it f.i.

Regards

#14 2008-05-15 17:56:15

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

I recall reading somewhere that the Openbox devs were planning to add tiling support. The moment they do that, is the moment I switch to it. Openbox is by far the KISSest of the floating WM (wmii is the KISSest of the tiling WM), and since tiling is not good for all the apps (especially multimedia apps), I would happily use a WM that has good support for both tiling and floating (the tiling WMs are not so good at supporting floating, it seems).

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#15 2008-05-15 18:48:23

kappa

To my knowledge there are no plans to implement true tiling in Openbox.
However,  the GrowToEdge functions accomplish something similar.

#16 2008-05-15 20:01:16

Sigi

finferflu wrote:

... (wmii is the KISSest of the tiling WM) ...

Don't get me wrong, I've never tried wmii. But in what way is wmii KISS(i)er then dwm?

Haven't been here in a while. Still rocking Arch. smile

#17 2008-05-15 20:21:41

shining
Pacman Developer

Sigi wrote:
finferflu wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I've never tried wmii. But in what way is wmii KISS(i)er then dwm?

It isn't at all. dwm is the kiss app by excellence smile

In contrast to ion, larswm, and wmii, dwm is much smaller, faster and simpler.

wmii is power while staying smaller and cleaner than most other app/wm.

But generally speaking, all apps from suckless.org are kiss.

Home of wmii, dwm, libixp, and other quality software with a focus on simplicity, clarity, and frugality.

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#18 2008-05-15 21:02:45

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Sigi wrote:
finferflu wrote:

I don't want to derail this thread too much, so I'll try to keep it short. I consider wmii to be the KISSest one because of how it works (rather than less lines of code, as shining points out in regards to dwm). It has only a few features, but the way they are combined is perfect and consistent, there is no useless clutter, so to speak. This is my KISS motto (a good candidate for my sig, now that I think about it):

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
    Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#19 2008-05-25 20:24:59

urukrama
Website

If you only want to 'tile' vertically or horizontally, and possibly even only a few open windows, give whaw a try. It doesn't provide the same tiling-goodness of tiling window managers, but it is very handy and it often provides just the type of tiling I need. I use it regularly in Openbox and Pekwm.

#20 2008-05-25 20:45:39

cardinals_fan

dunc wrote:
haench wrote:

This had me tearing my hair out too. I've forgotten now exactly how I worked it out, but looking at my tile rc, it seems you have to include your hostname as part of conky's WM_NAME:

avoid WM_NAME Conky ($HOSTNAME)

Put it in explicitly, not as an environment variable; that's just to illustrate what I mean.

I need to figure out how to do that in dwm...

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

#21 2008-05-25 21:06:41

fuscia

ronandi wrote:
Sigi wrote:

As a quick fix. For at least a week or two I will have no time to do anything of this sort (time-consuming, even if installation is easy...ill just keep going)

not trying to be a wiseguy, but this thread has taken longer than installing a tiling wm. it's a little odd at first, but i don't think you'd have much trouble (might even save more time by using one, you know, without all that looking through the pile for your apps).

#22 2008-05-27 15:58:53

Bonzodog

Yeah, I would love to have tiling in Openbox myself. The one feature that all the tiling WM's are missing is a right click root menu, and that is absolutely vital to me.

#23 2008-05-27 17:12:02

DonVla

ronandi wrote:

Can you (looks great on awesome...wanna do something similar on openbox)

i use a mixture of tile (http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=16168) and dvtm (http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=14182). both work great together. when you're working only in a terminal or tty screen with dvtm has almost the same functionality as a tiled wm.

vlad

#24 2008-05-27 18:55:51

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

I love openbox; A floating WM that includes nothing.
No default wallpaper, no default panel...very few defaults at all, except sane variables to get you up and running.
Out of all tiling WM's, I have tried Awesome, but I don't think it is for me. I mainly use my Thinkpad these days for forum and wiki stuff through a web browser, and squeezing firefox3 into any which way just does not work for me...unless I am missing something. I mean, it works, but it's not very convenient to horizontally and vertically scroll though everything.
It seems like a tiling WM would work better on a widescreen.
Having said all that, if my beloved Openbox were to adopt tiling abilities, I would not complain. smile

#25 2008-05-27 19:01:45

Vintendo
Website

Misfit138 wrote:

I love openbox; A floating WM that includes nothing.
No default wallpaper, no default panel...very few defaults at all, except sane variables to get you up and running.
Out of all tiling WM's, I have tried Awesome, but I don't think it is for me. I mainly use my Thinkpad these days for forum and wiki stuff through a web browser, and squeezing firefox3 into any which way just does not work for me...unless I am missing something. I mean, it works, but it's not very convenient to horizontally and vertically scroll though everything.
It seems like a tiling WM would work better on a widescreen.
Having said all that, if my beloved Openbox were to adopt tiling abilities, I would not complain. smile

exactly, i luv openbox. But i like tiling. It works very well on a dual screen setup. I've tried awesome, i like it but not as much as openbox. I would love to see a tiling window manager.

Board footer