You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-15 18:42:50

ninjaprawn

[solved]kde, wm's & de's question

hi,

ive bein using arch for about 4 months now and love it! not used another distro that comes close!! i originally tried e17 as my DE, but found it a bit to buggy for my likeing so went back to wot i new with kde. however it is starting to annoy me with memory consumption and i'd like a little advice.

in my haste to have my system up and running, i installed the full kde, not kdemod, as i couldnt find kdemod at the time. my 1st question is how much of a difference to memory consumption does kdemod have over full kde? and is it possible to switch from full kde to kdemod without losing my desktop configs & settings?

my 2nd question is that ive seem to be coming across openbox and fluxbox a lot as the main wm's in use. i use the apps listed below, and if i switch to a *box, will i have similiar apps, or a work around so i dont need them? i dont use desktop icons or a kde menu button, i use right click for the menu.

ksmoothdock
system tray (kicker)
conky
opera-devel
qbittorrent
klipper
vlc
amarok
kopete
kmail
konsole
konqueror
open office

sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance.

Last edited by ninjaprawn (2010-02-18 14:52:07)

2007 - Started using Arch Linux as my only/main OS
- Samsung Series 3, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz - 8Gb DDR3 ram - 700Gb HDD
On board intel Graphics & Sound

#2 2008-05-15 18:50:29

bgc1954

Re: [solved]kde, wm's & de's question

I only tried out kdemod for awhile as I'm not a kde fan but just wanted to see what it was all about.  As far as I could see, it didn't function much different than full kde but didn't have the same bloat as far as what comes packaged with it.  I'm surprised you found e17 buggy.  I've been using it for a long time now and it's never given me more than minor problems.

If you use openbox or fluxbox, you can use any apps you have installed.  You just have to add them to your menu.  Check out the wikis for more info.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#3 2008-05-15 21:19:00

ninjaprawn

Re: [solved]kde, wm's & de's question

thanks for the info on kdemod! i dove into fluxbox a little blind! came out the other same amazed!! i have basically got a fast kde!! all my kde apps are running, all being launched from ksmoothdock!! wow! everythin is like lightning!!!!

2007 - Started using Arch Linux as my only/main OS
- Samsung Series 3, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz - 8Gb DDR3 ram - 700Gb HDD
On board intel Graphics & Sound

Board footer