You are not logged in.

#1 2004-07-16 07:02:36

shen
Website

network fails to load on 2.6 kernel since initsctip update..

Ok I updated to the new 0.7-2 of the initscripts and installed the udev package.. Whether I load the 2.6 kernel that worked perfectly before the initscripts update with the devfs-nomount or not network fails. It reads the pcmcia card just fine and loads perfectly with a 2.4 kernel.  This 2.6 kernel loaded perfectly prior to the initscripts update. 

I am mainly looking for ideas on what it could be and what not. So if anyone has any ideas toss em my way. I hope I provided enough information.  If more info is need just tell me what info you need. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

#2 2004-07-16 08:47:07

lanrat

Re: network fails to load on 2.6 kernel since initsctip update..

How do you load your network card module? Check if it is loaded (run lsmod). If not add it to rc.conf MODULES line. You can try to load it first with modprobe yourmodulename and then run /etc/rc.d/network restart.

#3 2004-07-16 08:48:58

shen
Website

Problem solved.....

after removing and reinstalling the initscripts package all works fine.. Dunno what happened but something must have happened during the install..

#4 2004-07-16 09:15:01

shen
Website

actually problem not solved..Anyways the install on this laptop was a fresh ftp install...Issue kept happening.. 2.4 kernels work like a charm 2.6 no dice. On my 2.6 I always compile everything in.. Been building my 2.6 the same way using the same config setup for a long time.

Anyways I did a reinstall this time I installed straight from the base cd. After install built my kernel all was well. Did a pacman -Syu on everything but the initscripts all was well updated the initscripts all was well.

Don't know exactly at this moment what the difference is with a cdrom install and an ftp install. But something was different. I'll look at it more tomorrow and see what I can come up with. Late and time for some sleep.

#5 2004-07-16 15:46:34

shen
Website

Ok after getting some sleep so I could think more clearly I figured out what the issue was. It has to do with loading the hotplug daemon.

FTP install loads a stock rc.conf from the new initscripts. In initscripts 0.7-2 the rc.conf loads the hotplug daemon before loading pcmcia and jsut after loading syslog-ng. This causes network daemon to error out on 2.6 kernels.

CD install doesn't load hotplug by default. So it doesn't error out when loading the network daemon on a 2.6 kernel. The cd install I did pacman -Syu affter install so all the base packages were current and the same ver as a ftp install.

What i did was load hotplug after network and everything works fine.I don't know if hotplug has to load in any certain order or not. I just made sure in my rc.conf on the daemons line that hotplug is listed after network and life is grand.

Note: Also remember this is only happening with the 0.7 initscripts and does not happen in the .6-8 or .6-9 initscripts.

I don't know if this is just affected my by system or not. So if anyone else with a laptop loading a pcmcia wifi/nic card could test this just to be sure..

If it matters I run yenta_socket for my pcmcia driver and orinoco_cs for my wifi card.  I tried loading them as modules and also compiled in on my 2.6 kernels and got the same affect. I even tried a stock arch 2.6 kernel.

#6 2004-07-16 18:44:33

kakabaratruskia

If you are using udev, hotplug must load before network. I had to change it, in order to get network woring.

And where were all the sportsmen who always pulled you though?
They're all resting down in Cornwall
writing up their memoirs for a paper-back edition
of the Boy Scout Manual.

#7 2004-07-16 19:18:25

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

[jchu@hercules jchu]$ grep DAEMONS /etc/rc.conf
DAEMONS=(syslogd klogd hotplug cpudyn acpid pcmcia crond alsa network sshd portmap sfscd)

My system starts up fine, with network and all.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#8 2004-07-17 02:13:01

shen
Website

Well for me I had to load hotplug after network or network failed using any 2.6 kernel. It's odd 2.6 kernel works fine same kernel I've been using for months.. I install new initscripts and udev reboot and network fails.. I remove hotplug from the daemons line in rc.conf and network loads without a hitch. So I dunno why that is..

One question why does hotplug have to laod before network out of curiousity..???

My Daemons line..

grep DAEMONS /etc/rc.conf
DAEMONS=(!syslogd !klogd syslog-ng acpid pcmcia network hotplug !netfs crond)

#9 2004-07-17 02:17:35

kakabaratruskia

It didn't work for me, when I had network before hotplug. Changing it fixed it. Strange...

And where were all the sportsmen who always pulled you though?
They're all resting down in Cornwall
writing up their memoirs for a paper-back edition
of the Boy Scout Manual.

#10 2004-07-17 02:19:42

shen
Website

yeah very strange you had to load hotplug before network I have to load it after...who the heck knows..

I would like to know if hotplug is suppose to load before anything else..

One thing to remember this is a laptop using a wifi nic via pcmcia slot.  On my desktop I dunno still haven't converted it yet since i never use it.

#11 2004-07-17 05:40:13

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

One thing I found, there's a gap between the time when the pcmcia daemon starts and when the wifi device is accessible.  That's why I put daemons between them.  Ones that weren't network specific anyway.

Though, if that was the case, you'd be able to run the network script after bootup and it'd work.

My guess is that hotplug sees your card and says, "oooo, pretty", and steals it before the pcmcia daemon can.  Not quite sure why it happens to yours and not mine though...

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#12 2004-07-17 13:49:53

shen
Website

The weird thing is at bootup if hotplug loads before network and network fails I can run "cardctl ident" and it will see my card just fine. What appears to be happening is that the network daemon isn't able to snag an ip info unless it does it before hotplug loads.I may try loading hotplug right after pcmcia to see if tha affects it any...

Does hotplug have to laod any particular point in the daemon load process to work properly?

#13 2004-07-20 02:36:36

bytheway

I'm having the same problems.  I updated my system at work via ethernet.  I'm now at home trying to get WiFi working, and not having any luck at all.  I've tried switching the starting order of pcmcia, hotplug, and network around.  I've boot into both devfs and udev, but nothing works.

Even cardctl doesn't correctly report the info from my card anymore.  Anyone else tried anything that works?

#14 2004-07-20 18:05:56

marin_linuxer
Website

This reminds me of an issue I bug-reported last year. Hmm, .... let's see ...... ah yes bug #216.

Essentially I came to realize that the time between card services start-up and dhcp-aquisition was not sufficient for the DHCP server to respond and the network script to lock-in.

So,  I added a 'SLEEP 10' after card services in:  rc.d/pcmcia

May be related to your issue --- don't know.

-- Linux!  Isn't it time?

#15 2004-07-21 01:48:07

shen
Website

I narrows it down to I have to load pcmcia before I load hotplug. Other then that everything works perfect. I am assuming it has something with the fact that if hotplug snags the pcmcia first then pcmcia can't snag it or something who knows. All I know is I load pcmcia first and life is grand.

#16 2004-07-28 17:56:40

neri
Forum Fellow

shen wrote:

I narrows it down to I have to load pcmcia before I load hotplug. Other then that everything works perfect. I am assuming it has something with the fact that if hotplug snags the pcmcia first then pcmcia can't snag it or something who knows. All I know is I load pcmcia first and life is grand.

I just came across the same issue. And it behaves differently on my
mainbox and on my laptop. While I can load hotplug b4 network on my
mainbox, it doesn't work on my laptop. I fiddled with it and found that
ifconfig shows an Link encap:UNSPEC for eth0, which has a strange hwaddr
and behaves rather like a ghost device or something I can't identify at least.
Now, ifconfig -a showed me that my networkcard indeed is present at eth1,
not configured though.
I had two options:
move and configure my network card to eth1 or switch the order of network
and hotplug in rc.conf.
Not sure which one is the better option though.
@shen please if you have a similar out put on ifconfig -a. I wonna track
this problem down!

and yes this laptop has PCMCIA, I think we get closer  :-)

-neri

#17 2004-07-28 22:29:05

neri
Forum Fellow

Hm answering to myself to keep the wheel running...
after chatting with Xentac a bit I know that
alias eth0 via-rhine
won't help, cuz udev doesn't work with automodule loading. Adding via-rhine
to the MODULE array in rc.conf did the trick for me.

-neri

Board footer