You are not logged in.

#1 2004-07-29 00:12:24

hypermegachi

X devel packages

i've searched and searched and i can't seem to find anything about x devel packages for arch.

i need these packages to compile cvs winex....

thanks a bunch!

#2 2004-07-29 02:16:41

aCoder
Website

Re: X devel packages

HAHAHAHA!!! It's Cedega now!  I have it... You don't need an x-devel package, the x headers are included! (I think)  Of course, I recommend you just subscribe to transgaming for the 3 month minimum anyway, since it's the only way to get access to thier DX9 code and P2P, which solves quite a few problems in many games by seperating them.  The fact is, some apps don't like to play nice with each other, and Wine's arch is not equipped for that.  Besides, it's just so much less hassle.

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#3 2004-07-29 03:41:12

hypermegachi

i don't have a DX9 compliant card so it really doesn't matter.  it compiled fine under slack, and it worked well running all my *craft games.  plus i don't really like the idea of paying for something that is VERY alpha.  so many people bitch about how this doesn't work or that doesn't work.  and they are paying for it too.  if you're paying for something, it better work!  well that's what i think.

#4 2004-07-29 19:46:41

hypermegachi

sorry for the mixup, but i finally got it to work.  it was a problem with the new flex package not being able to handle old flex scripts or something like that.

if you get compile errors about ppl.l the fix is to remove that big ass comment at the beginning of the file ppl.l in ./tools/wrc and ./tools/widl

#5 2004-07-30 01:17:14

aCoder
Website

Cedega isn't all that 'ALPHA'.  Most problems people complain about are from building or configuring it wrong.  I also see alot of the complaints paired with old, useless video cards that don't have accelerated 3d, or ATI cards, which aren't supported.  Most issues actually are fixed just by trying it on my PC.  Why can't anyone else watch the movies in WC3 or GTA:Vice City normally?  I don't know, but I can!

You may want to file a bug report about the flex pkg if you think it has to do with the version in current.

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#6 2004-07-30 14:46:32

hypermegachi

well, just to prove how much cedega really does suck,

http://www.transgaming.com/showthread.php?thread=41163

they blame it on ati, and ati blames it on them.  i don't care, it doesn't work, and they tell me i have to go back to winex3 for it to work.

i don't know about you, but don't you find it odd that they recommend having multiple versions installed with point2play?

well it just so happens that the good version (winex3) isn't in the cvs anymore, so anyone compiling from source gets get crappier cedega version.

EDIT:  cedega/cvswinex worked for me under slack, but that was kernel 2.4...i have 2.6 on arch right now, maybe that has something to do with it (after all the drivers get heavily patched for it to work on 2.6).  i'll post results after i test this out.

EDIT 2:  my apologies, there is an older version of WineX in the CVS, which i'm attempting to compile now.  i decided against trying kernel 2.4 cuz there was too much i already set up for 2.6 already.

EDIT 3:  transgaming took down their sourceforge server...so no more old version...i.e. forced cedega!!!  nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

#7 2004-07-30 15:21:15

aCoder
Website

I'm using Cedega on 2.6.7 and it's working better than ever. Of course, I'm not using an ATI card.  I agree it's not entirely ATI's fault support for them has always been bad, but the recent breaking of support with xorg and Cedega is just ATI's drivers.

- John Cage

Board footer