You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-18 13:59:49

Zeleon

[SOLVED] Install error - Preparing Hard Disk

The task (objective/vision)
The compurte is old with only 256 MB of RAM. I intend to setup this laptop only with fluxbox (maybe blackbox), a power manager, network manager (will only use a wierd connection) and firefox. The computer must save the battery as its only task is to use a registration form on the web, go to hibernate or standby, travel to a different location and use the registration form again and so on.

I also would like a command to re-accuire an ip address as each time i will use the registration form on web, the computer will be connected to a different network.

I would greatly appreciate any input that can help me get the best performance out of this computer to do the dedicated task.

Problem
During the setup of Archlinux an error occured while preparing the hard disk. I had to check the tty5 for more info. If it's the CTRL + ALT F5 the message said something about:

This disk is currently in use - repartitioning is probably a bad idea.
Unmount all filesystems, and swapoff all swap partitions on this disk.

How can I solve this problem?

I tried booting Fedora 9 which is installed by using the "power button" to send the TERM signal to the computer. What is the best propper way to turn off the computer? shutdown -h?

Thanks.

Last edited by Zeleon (2008-05-19 08:05:59)

#2 2008-05-18 21:02:33

daf666
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Install error - Preparing Hard Disk

I would try to create the partitions before using the setup program, and then only set mount points in the setup program.
This might work or give you better info on whats going on.
1. first run cfdisk and make partitions to your likings
2. /arch/setup and just set the mount points

#3 2008-05-18 21:20:27

Zeleon

Re: [SOLVED] Install error - Preparing Hard Disk

Ah see the installation had two alternative setup methods. The automatic way and the manual way. Thanks. I have now managed to setup the system big_smile

Board footer