You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-15 19:05:59

yodo

d3lphin / konqueror - too much free space between single files

Hi there,
I'm using Kdemod 3.5.9. The problem I experience is, that both d3lphin and konqueror create "gaps" between files. Its hard to explain, so I post a picture.
The picture shows my wallpaper collection - but the problem is not bound to images. It does also occur with dirs, videos, sound-files...
By changing the font and grid-size I was able to change the general free space between files, but the "extra space" between some files remains.

Any Idea? smile
Greetings, yodo

Last edited by yodo (2008-05-15 19:06:25)

#2 2008-05-19 15:27:10

yodo

Re: d3lphin / konqueror - too much free space between single files

Problem also occurs using dolphin in KDE4, but not in nautilus (gnome).

Last edited by yodo (2008-05-19 15:29:49)

#3 2008-05-19 16:26:39

funkyou
Website

It works fine for me, but i belive that this has something to do with DPI settings in Xorg...

Here is some relevant stuff:

- I am not forcing a DPI value in KDE (kcontrol --> look and feel --> fonts)
- I have added the size of my display to xorg.conf (add DisplaySize X Y to the monitor section in xorg.conf, something like DisplaySize  370 275)

want a modular and tweaked KDE for arch? try kdemod

#4 2008-05-19 18:06:01

attila

@funkyou At first thanks for your work because after recognizing that you have things as at example kdmtheme included i give kdemod a try and it works nice. Instead of your theme looks very cool i stay as before with qtcurve ... i hope this is not a problem for you. [If you want you can do a +1kdemod/-1kde in your survey smile]

funkyou wrote:

It works fine for me, but i belive that this has something to do with DPI settings in Xorg...

I have exact the same settings as you with the only exception that Sub-Pixel-Hinting is on but i have the same effect as yodo. I fear that if dpi (or/and fonts) could be a problem in this case than the content of "/etc/fonts/conf.avail" could be important too. But i don't realy think that this is the problem because the icons on the desktop don't have this problem.

My workaround is stepping to the Tree View (i hope this is the correct translation of "Mehrspaltige Ansicht") and i forgot it because i like this more and more. smile

@yodo Very nice wallpapers and thanks for animating me to search InterfaceLIFT. smile

#5 2008-05-19 19:08:41

lucke

Perhaps that's the same problem.

#6 2008-05-19 23:14:00

yodo

@lucke
Unfortunately its not the same problem. Configuring this "Height of icon text" option changes the space between ALL files, which does not solve the problem.
I'm using Sub-Pixel-Hinting, but I don't force DPI values. I changed those settings, even removed my xorg.conf...
Font size changed seriously - but the problem remained.

Too bad it also occurs on KDE4's dolphin. Can't hope that the problem just disappears with KDE 4. sad

Last edited by yodo (2008-05-19 23:14:20)

#7 2008-05-20 05:00:02

attila

@luke I don't think this is the same because i try all between 1 and 4 lines for "Height of icon text" without any change.

@yodo Have you ever tried the "Column View" (it is the next point in the view modus under symbol view)? At first this was only a workaround for me but now i like it more to have the text right of the symbol instead under of it.

@funkyou Could it be that this "Rounded icon titles when icons are selected" could have this sideffect? The strange thing is that it happens even if the symbol text have more than 1 line but not in every case (see in the pic from yodo that line 3 is okay but line 4 and 5 not) which makes it hard to find out the reason. And just for the stats i use size 48 for the symbols in the konqueror.

Board footer