You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-20 12:35:15

aka_hans

Dolphin file manager flickers when viewing certain folders

Like the title said: when viewing certain folders (my home folder and /) Dolphin flickers. When viewing any other folder there is no flicker at all. I found a post on the Ubuntu forums which claimed this is a qt3 problem, but if that is the case Dolphin should flicker when viewing any folder, right? The same holds for my video driver (fglrx 8.3).

Anyone got any suggestions?

#2 2008-05-20 13:05:42

funkyou
Website

Re: Dolphin file manager flickers when viewing certain folders

We once had a patch for qt3 applied to our packages, which prevented the flickering in konqueror by creating a small buffer for the icons... It was exactly the same scenario you are describing here...

However, this patch does not work properly anymore (it does apply, but there are some small rendering issues, especially when moving icons on the desktop), but if you are a programmer you could take a look at it smile

Here is the patch: http://www.kdemod.ath.cx/svn/branches/k … view.patch

Apart from that, i have no idea... roll

want a modular and tweaked KDE for arch? try kdemod

#3 2008-05-20 13:23:00

aka_hans

I'm not much of a programmer, and that patch looks a little too difficult for me. But thanks anyway.
So konqueror used to have the same problem? I have absolutely no problem with flickering in Konqueror and can't remember I ever had in the two years I used it (but that was when I used Fedora, maybe the patched it too).
Strange the problem is solved(?) for Konqueror and not for Dolphin.

#4 2008-05-20 15:31:55

funkyou
Website

Yes konqueror has the same problem. Its also the same because we are talking about iconviews here, which are the same in dolphin and konqueror...

However, when i ask google about this, i have the slight suspicion that this is related to your driver... Have you tried to change your driver yet?

Check this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=661767

want a modular and tweaked KDE for arch? try kdemod

#5 2008-05-20 16:08:09

aka_hans

I observe no flickering when using the radeonhd drivers, so I guess I can use those drivers as a workaround. I actually prefer radeonhd over fglrx, if it weren't for its lack of powersaving functions. Maybe I'll play around with radeotool for that, or else I'll go back to using Konqueror.

Thanks for your help funkyou.

One question still bugs me though: why doensn't it flicker in every folder? What is so different about my home and /?

#6 2008-05-20 16:41:44

pelle.k

One question still bugs me though: why doensn't it flicker in every folder? What is so different about my home and /?

I could depend on a large number of things; number of icons, type of icons, placement of icons, full/almost full last row, you name it!
Try enlarging the icons to the maximum size and browse around a bit and i'll promise you see flicker everywhere.

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

Board footer