You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-10 22:34:17

GogglesGuy
Website

Goggles Music Manager

The Feature List:

* Last-FM audio scrobbler support. (New in v0.9.4)
    * Fast and light weight. Quick startup, no splash screen needed!
    * Supports Ogg Vorbis , FLAC, MP3 , MP4 , ASF and Musepack music files.
    * Tag editing and file renaming capability (batch). One or more tracks may be edited at the same time.
    * Smart sorting with user configurable leading word filter to prevent sorting on common words like the, a or an.
    * Support for play lists. Play lists may be played in a certain configurable order, or browsed through like the main music library.
    * Export music library and play lists to XSPF,PLS,Extended M3U,M3U and CSV.
    * Clipboard & DND (drag-and-drop) support to arrange playlists and dragging to and from gnome / kde applications.
    * Uses xine multimedia library for gapless playback.
    * Written using FOX, one of the fastest GUI toolkits available. Support for FOX-1.6.x and the latest development version FOX-1.7.x.
    * Customizable icons. Either use buildin icons or use an existing gnome/kde icon theme.
    * Configurable user interface from minimalistic to detailed view. Full screen mode available with FOX-1.7.11.
    * Clean and fast database backend using SQLite 3.

Goggles Music Manager is available in the community repository  (32 and 64 bit). A simple

pacman -S gogglesmm

should download and install it. Once installed you can start it from the command line using:

gogglesmm

Goggles Music Manager is fairly light on resources and quick to start up. Try it out. If you have feature requests, questions or other comments, leave a comment here, or leave bug report on the website

Last edited by GogglesGuy (2014-09-19 19:50:51)

#2 2008-05-11 04:27:35

skymt

Re: Goggles Music Manager

Does Goggles (or Xine, I guess) read LAME headers for gapless information, or does it just guess?

#3 2008-05-11 05:09:15

GogglesGuy
Website

skymt wrote:

Does Goggles (or Xine, I guess) read LAME headers for gapless information, or does it just guess?

It uses xine's gapless playback feature. I don't think at the moment LAME headers are read in by xine (though a experimental branch exists that does that). http://hg.debian.org/hg/xine-lib/xine-lib-gapless

#4 2008-05-11 08:06:09

synthead

I have to say, this is probably the nicest music player I have seen.  For what it does I expected it to load 10x slower and be 10x bigger than what it is.  And I actually like that it's real minimalistic while still having features.  Keep it that way, fight the bloat!

I'll be using it for my music from here on, thank you for the great manager!

PS - I also thought it was neat that it found my music directory by itself ... how'd ya do that?! big_smile

#5 2008-05-11 16:29:05

GogglesGuy
Website

synthead wrote:

I have to say, this is probably the nicest music player I have seen.  For what it does I expected it to load 10x slower and be 10x bigger than what it is.  And I actually like that it's real minimalistic while still having features.  Keep it that way, fight the bloat!

I'll be using it for my music from here on, thank you for the great manager!

I do try to keep it lean and mean, though I'm not doing anything special. Using FOX helps a great bit though.

synthead wrote:

PS - I also thought it was neat that it found my music directory by itself ... how'd ya do that?! big_smile

You will be disappointed, but I have a list of directory names that people may use for storing their music, and I just check if you're home directory contains any of them....

Thanks for trying, glad you like it!

Last edited by GogglesGuy (2008-05-11 16:29:27)

#6 2008-05-11 23:17:47

oliwer
Website

OMG this player is really awesome ! It's fast, stable and the interface is just how I like it.

The only important thing missing to me is a a tray icon with a notification system. Unfortunately the FOX toolkit doesn't provide much for this.

Anyway, keep up the good work. gmm is my first music manager now smile

#7 2008-05-12 00:17:25

Roberth

Could there be developed a gstreamer backend to?

Use the Source, Luke!

#8 2008-05-12 00:45:53

GogglesGuy
Website

oliwer wrote:

OMG this player is really awesome ! It's fast, stable and the interface is just how I like it.

The only important thing missing to me is a a tray icon with a notification system. Unfortunately the FOX toolkit doesn't provide much for this.

Anyway, keep up the good work. gmm is my first music manager now smile

I'm glad you like it.

Having a tray icon would require some work. It would involve writing some code that does the XEMBED stuff. I do however have support for the notification-daemon (it pops-up everytime a track is played). Though it is not enabled in the current build of GMM in community. You can make it available if you enable dbus support while building GMM. Then the preferences panel will have a option to send notifications to the notification-daemon.

#9 2008-05-12 00:53:35

GogglesGuy
Website

Roberth wrote:

Could there be developed a gstreamer backend to?

Yes, I don't see why not, though I'm not expert on gstreamer but I happily accept patches that make gstreamer a playing backend for GMM.

I personally like xine because of it's easy api. It basically cannot get easier that this:

stream = xine_open(url);
xine_play(stream);
xine_close(stream);

In the past I've quickly glanced at gstreamer, but I couldn't find a quick and easy way of playing some audio files.

Last edited by GogglesGuy (2008-05-12 00:53:55)

#10 2008-05-20 02:57:43

GogglesGuy
Website

I've release 0.9.8 which comes with improved album art support. It will look for jpg, gif, png or bmp image files with a preference to filenames named: "cover", "album", "albumart", ".folder" and "folder". In worst case, it will load whatever image it can find. It also fixes a nasty bug that prevented loading files with a '#' in their name

I started a Goggles Music Manager group on last.fm (http://www.last.fm/group/Goggles+Music+Manager)  It has very few members currently (at the moment just me smile ), hopefully it will grow smile

#11 2008-05-20 03:16:48

Sp4rkR4t

That is one very responsive player, well done. smile

#12 2008-05-20 06:22:57

Frem
Website

Neat! I like this player, mainly because it looks almost exactly like my foobar2000 config of choice. ;-)

Does Xine give you an easy way to code in an equalizer? Because they make music sound so much better on laptop speakers, and there aren't very many Linux media players which support them.

#13 2008-05-20 08:01:12

Rasi
Website

yea, it also reminds me of foobar2000... it looks lovely!

If it would at some point be able to rename and tag files as flexible as foobar can, i would even pay for this smile
what do i mean? Well, right now it has the usual fixed fields tag-edit, which is very unflexible...

some list with TAGNAME=VALUE is much more flexible (and supported by id3v2.4/ogg/ape2), as well as a script-like guessing of tags from filenames and (foobars killer feature) a "one line per track" input field. Means you enter e.g. all titles of an album (one per line) and it will writes 1st line to 1st track, 2nd to 2nd etc..
Also the ability to write replaygain informations to tag would rock!

i know, very specific things, i am looking for, but once you experienced the power of foobars engine, you cant get back again (in fact its the only tool i run in wine)

Last edited by Rasi (2008-05-20 08:06:33)

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#14 2008-05-21 00:21:53

GogglesGuy
Website

Frem wrote:

Neat! I like this player, mainly because it looks almost exactly like my foobar2000 config of choice. ;-)

Does Xine give you an easy way to code in an equalizer? Because they make music sound so much better on laptop speakers, and there aren't very many Linux media players which support them.

Yes and no. It seems to have a equalizer, but it's acting kind of weird. Have to check out some of the other xine based player to see what they do.

#15 2008-05-21 00:32:59

GogglesGuy
Website

Rasi wrote:

yea, it also reminds me of foobar2000... it looks lovely!

Thanks!

Rasi wrote:

If it would at some point be able to rename and tag files as flexible as foobar can, i would even pay for this smile
what do i mean? Well, right now it has the usual fixed fields tag-edit, which is very unflexible...

some list with TAGNAME=VALUE is much more flexible (and supported by id3v2.4/ogg/ape2), as well as a script-like guessing of tags from filenames and (foobars killer feature) a "one line per track" input field. Means you enter e.g. all titles of an album (one per line) and it will writes 1st line to 1st track, 2nd to 2nd etc..

A more dedicated (mass) tagging program would be better at this. I think it would add a lot of complexity to the program, which is something I personally don't need. The current fields you can edit are the ones stored in the database and read from /written to  the files. Except for rating, there's really not much I would need. Maybe a composer and performer field, but that is pretty much not standardized at all, so it would be hard to support that.

Rasi wrote:

Also the ability to write replaygain informations to tag would rock!

I think I would first want to use the existing replay gain information smile

#16 2008-05-21 08:47:28

Rasi
Website

Thing is, there is no "non-standard" tags anymore. Thats a myth, most ppl have been fooled by smile

Nowadays tags are meant to be personalised, which is why id3.2 has added this possibility too.
And there are libraries that support this just great, most common is probably the Mutagen engine.

A usage example: You have an album of Various artists, but i think we both agree, that the artist should never be in the TITLE field of a track. So what do you do? if you tag every file as an individual artist, your program wont show it as a whole album anymore.
The trick is to create another tag (quite common is ALBUMARTIST) which reflects the overall artist (in this case VARIOUS obviously)
The ARTIST field can be used to store the per-track artist as usual now.

Of course a player must have a very flexible system to handle such things, like giving the ability to define what tags are meant for such things as "VARIOUS" artists.

Just to give you something to think about smile

Last edited by Rasi (2008-05-21 08:48:46)

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#17 2008-05-22 15:05:52

GogglesGuy
Website

Rasi wrote:

Thing is, there is no "non-standard" tags anymore. Thats a myth, most ppl have been fooled by smile

Nowadays tags are meant to be personalised, which is why id3.2 has added this possibility too.
And there are libraries that support this just great, most common is probably the Mutagen engine.

A usage example: You have an album of Various artists, but i think we both agree, that the artist should never be in the TITLE field of a track. So what do you do? if you tag every file as an individual artist, your program wont show it as a whole album anymore.
The trick is to create another tag (quite common is ALBUMARTIST) which reflects the overall artist (in this case VARIOUS obviously)
The ARTIST field can be used to store the per-track artist as usual now.

Of course a player must have a very flexible system to handle such things, like giving the ability to define what tags are meant for such things as "VARIOUS" artists.

Just to give you something to think about smile

You do have some good points (though too much flexibility makes stuff sometimes hard to use). I personally like to see the support for artists per album and artists per track in the next major version of GMM (0.10.x), which requires a database change obviously.

#18 2008-05-22 18:46:09

jpt
Website

Excellent player.  The speed is wonderful, but it's still feature rich.  What are the chances it could eventually pick up the style that gtk2 defines?

Thanks!

#19 2008-05-22 20:30:16

GogglesGuy
Website

jpt wrote:

Excellent player.  The speed is wonderful, but it's still feature rich.  What are the chances it could eventually pick up the style that gtk2 defines?

Thanks!

Not any time soon (if we're talking about theming). That would need be build into FOX, which I don't see happening any time soon.

You can adjust the color scheme of FOX applications (and font) very easily through the ControlPanel application. You can start it from the command line:

ControlPanel

The additional colors I use in GMM can be setup in the GMM Preferences panel.

Probably not the answer you were hoping for, but I think with the right color scheme, GMM looks pretty decent.

Last edited by GogglesGuy (2008-05-23 01:17:42)

#20 2008-05-23 00:17:43

jpt
Website

Thanks.  Yea, I wasn't sure if it was a problem on my end or if that was just how it was.  No complaints, as it runs real  nicely on my old laptop smile

Thanks for that info on ControlPanel!

#21 2008-05-23 06:56:53

wuischke

Thank you, I've installed it and it is very nice.

#22 2008-05-29 23:40:15

GogglesGuy
Website

The 0.9.10 release (and also the 0.9.9) now also supports embedded cover art as found in the id3v2 tags! Anybody here that have embedded cover art in Ogg Vorbis files (in the Xiph Comment). If so, I'm curious to know what comment tags are used, so I might be able to add support for that as well..

#23 2008-06-11 02:19:53

GogglesGuy
Website

Goggles Music Manager v0.9.11 is out with the following improvements:

- Support embedded cover art in flac files (jpg and png only).
  - Support last-fm 'now playing' notification.
  - Use "ALBUMARTIST" tag in Ogg / FLAC files and TPE2 for id3v2 tags for artist.[Tag reading only]
  - Support album art in notification to notify-daemon.[D-Bus enabled version only]
  - DBus enabled version now also support the ability to control a running gmm from the command line.

It's still using FOX and still as ugly as some people think it is big_smile
Nevertheless, it still beats the new Banshee regarding memory use and performance smile

#24 2008-06-12 09:03:22

Rasi
Website

GogglesGuy wrote:

Goggles Music Manager v0.9.11 is out with the following improvements:

- Support embedded cover art in flac files (jpg and png only).
  - Support last-fm 'now playing' notification.
  - Use "ALBUMARTIST" tag in Ogg / FLAC files and TPE2 for id3v2 tags for artist.[Tag reading only]
  - Support album art in notification to notify-daemon.[D-Bus enabled version only]
  - DBus enabled version now also support the ability to control a running gmm from the command line.

It's still using FOX and still as ugly as some people think it is big_smile
Nevertheless, it still beats the new Banshee regarding memory use and performance smile

Thank you very much for the ALBUMARTIST tag...

You should know tho, that the TPE2 tag has been misused... its only used by itunes and windows media player and some others. The problem: TPE2 tag was originally created for BAND/ORCHESTRA informations, which has nothing to do with ALBUMARTIST...

An alternative would be a user-chosen tag for the albumartist. Ogg/flac/mpc can do this anyway. and id3v2 has the TXXX tag for that matter.

Also do you think you will add some kind of playlist at some point? would be nice, if one could queue songs from different albums... (probably even multiple playlists as in tabs?) (Think like: mark songs: Send to playlist -> blabla)

Regarding the FOX toolkit: i dont mind. Its VERY fast, which is a nice thing. Of course it would be nice if it integrated better with gtk and/or qt, but none of those 2 can match the speed of FOX.

P.S.: Any news on the replaygain tag info reading?
Some info: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php … Replaygain

just make sure to support the tag based approach of mp3gain too... because mp3gain has both options -  modifying the actual audio data and writing tags.

P.P.S: Another thing i want to suggest is some kind of plugin architecture... not sure if you designed gmm in a way that makes this possible. But if the possibility is there gmm is actually VERY close to foobar2000, which is a real compliment by the way smile

Last edited by Rasi (2008-06-12 09:25:50)

Douglas Adams

#25 2008-06-12 11:56:40

UnbreakableMJ
Website

Two thumbs up! cool

Thank you for choosing to use GPL3.

Board footer