You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-13 23:13:27

sokuban

Huge fonts in Xfce

So, I have huge fonts in xfce. Probbably only two lines could take up the whole screen.

I guess I didn't set up X properly.

I tried adding DisplaySize 336 210 to my Moniter section of my xorg.conf but that didn't help. The wiki said that adding Option "DPI" "96 x 96" would help with NVidia cards but I tried it anyways. (build in Intel card) Well that get anywhere. I also tried adding

<match target="pattern">
        <edit name="dpi" mode="assign"><double>75</double></edit>
     </match>

to my /etc/fonts/local.conf but that also had no effect.

I should note that xterm has normal fonts, so it might be an xfce problem.

Help appreciated.

EDIT: Would it better to put this in the "Desktop Environments" section? If that is so, could a mod please move it? Thanks.

Last edited by sokuban (2008-05-15 00:58:55)

#2 2008-05-15 05:40:40

dabski
Website

Re: Huge fonts in Xfce

You can change the font size from the control panel, I think its under settings>user interface if I recall correctly. Depending on the combination of resolution, dpi and monitor size you will probably want around 8-12. This might seam like a stupid question but are you sure your resolution is set correctly? If your resolution is set to small for your monitor the font size(and everything else) looks larger.

#3 2008-05-16 20:13:14

sokuban

That was the first thing I tried. It was painful; I had to use tab, enter and trial and error to get to that window. (The fonts were so huge I couldn't see anything) I did finally get to it, and it said it was sans 9. Even if I put it to sans 3, it is still huge, and it isn't a good way to solve the problem.

I don't think it is a resolution problem. I have an LCD, so it looks really weird out of its native resolution, and desktop icons were normal sized.

I'm pretty sure I need to set my DPI.

#4 2008-05-17 00:41:42

dabski
Website

You can set the DPI in XFCE at the same place that you set the font size.

Can you post the output of xdpyinfo.

Also this post might help shed some light on your problem: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=297912

Last edited by dabski (2008-05-17 00:43:41)

#5 2008-05-20 20:57:10

sokuban

Finally I found some time to play with Archlinux. Sorry I've been really busy the past couple of days.

If there is need to be, I'll post my whole xdpyinfo output, but for now I'll just show the scary part. (Manually copied, at the time of this writing, I did not find out my temporary solution. Now that I found it I guess I can pipe that into nano or somehting and copy it into a post from Arche, but I don't have much time at the moment. Sorry.)

[root@Arche~]# xdpyinfo | grep resolution
 resolution: 112x968 dots per inch

Found the culprit... That thread you showed me to was saying something about how DisplaySize is obsolete in the new version of Xorg... no wonder.

I have found a temporary solution. (Taken from the last post in that thread you showed me! Thanks so much, it was a lifesaver.)

startx -- -dpi 96

Works!!

It is possible to put this in the startx script so I don't have to type it every time I start X right? (At least that is what I think that last post is saying.) If so, will it still work if I wake up one day and decide to install xdm? I'll try once I get back.

Last edited by sokuban (2008-05-20 20:59:41)

#6 2008-05-21 07:52:55

dabski
Website

I don't use a login manager though it should work unless xdm uses its own X startup script.

Board footer