You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-27 22:21:17

_saiko
Website

KDE apps and kanji

hi,

using XFCE actually but amarok is there too smile

I noticed i can't see kanji symbols in amarok, but ONLY kanji. Other unicode symbols are ok.
Katakana and hiragana are shown properly.
The same situation is with ID3 tags and filenames when displayed by amarok.
And yes both filename nad ID3 tags are 100% unicode.

In terminal and applications like thunar filenames are displayed properly even with kanji.
My locale is using utf8.
Asked some of ppl i know and they had the same problem. Not only with amarok but other KDE apps too.
So what could it be?
Is it that KDE applications use fonts that can't display kanji yet can display katakana and hiragana?
Makes no sense to me...

Hope anyone knows the solution smile

thx

cat.7 - where crosstalk is not an issue anymore :'(

#2 2008-01-28 14:49:54

andre.ramaciotti

Re: KDE apps and kanji

Strange, it works fine here (I'm learning Japanese). See if adding this lines to your .xprofile helps:

export GTK_IM_MODULE='uim'
export GTK_IM_MODULE_FILE=~/.immodules
export XMODIFIERS=@im='uim'

But I think it's only for input of text.

(lambda ())

#3 2008-01-30 07:05:35

kiloecho7

Hey _saiko,

I'm running XFCE on arch64, and am living in 熊本 right now so I deal with kanji on a daily basis.  Both kanji and kana work for me in Amarok (and everywhere else, for that matter), here are the instructions that I followed step by step in order to achieve it.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Scim

I also had the following fonts installed by pacman:

ttf-arphic-ukai
ttf-arphic-uming
ttf-dejavu
ttf-fireflysung

もしそうするとまだ漢字を見えなかったら、どうすればいい分かりません。

#4 2008-01-31 18:54:08

elbecko
Website

I'm using kanji in some applications, including amarok, on KDE with no problem.

Which kanji TTFs did you install? How did you set up them? No kanji TTF is installed by default. (Some bitmap fonts are available, though.) Moreover, no kanji TTF is available from official repositories, including community.

Last edited by elbecko (2008-01-31 19:11:20)

701 Black 4G / 900 Black 4+16G / kernel-eee 2.6.26-1 / KDE(mod)

#5 2008-02-01 23:41:09

_saiko
Website

kiloecho7 wrote:

Hey _saiko,

I'm running XFCE on arch64, and am living in 熊本 right now so I deal with kanji on a daily basis.  Both kanji and kana work for me in Amarok (and everywhere else, for that matter), here are the instructions that I followed step by step in order to achieve it.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Scim

I also had the following fonts installed by pacman:

ttf-arphic-ukai
ttf-arphic-uming
ttf-dejavu
ttf-fireflysung

もしそうするとまだ漢字を見えなかったら、どうすればいい分かりません。

many thanks

after i installed the fonts amarok displays kanji too!
the thing is... i didn't think fonts would be the problem since all my other applications successfully showed kanji with like.. default fonts
tho... those kanji appear in amarok as if they really are from some other font big_smile

actually... it's my font rendering that has problems...
only those kanji and only in amarok... they appear as if they aren't rendered properly...
here's a sshot:
http://pub.insanity.in/img/scrshot/2008 … _scrot.png

oh well :>
well i'm not studying japanese or something... tho i might smile

Last edited by _saiko (2008-02-01 23:48:52)

#6 2008-02-02 09:37:05

elbecko
Website

It seems that default bitmap font is used for kana.

Check if /etc/fonts/conf.d/70-no-bitmaps.conf exists. If not, create symbolic link from same named file of /etc/fonts/conf.avail. This inhibits bitmap fonts use.

Next, see /etc/fonts/conf.d/65-nonlatin.conf, which contains alias definitions for popular Japanese TTFs, and check if your Japanese font is defined there. If not, create your own definition in ~/.fonts.conf. Following link would be helpful:
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-206280.html

As long as you use *standard* Japanese TTF, such as IPA or VL, you have to do almost nothing because it's already pre-configured by default. Just copy it to appropriate directory and execute fc-cache -fv.

Last edited by elbecko (2008-02-02 09:39:38)

#7 2008-02-05 23:40:55

_saiko
Website

elbecko wrote:

It seems that default bitmap font is used for kana.

Check if /etc/fonts/conf.d/70-no-bitmaps.conf exists. If not, create symbolic link from same named file of /etc/fonts/conf.avail. This inhibits bitmap fonts use.

Next, see /etc/fonts/conf.d/65-nonlatin.conf, which contains alias definitions for popular Japanese TTFs, and check if your Japanese font is defined there. If not, create your own definition in ~/.fonts.conf. Following link would be helpful:
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-206280.html

As long as you use *standard* Japanese TTF, such as IPA or VL, you have to do almost nothing because it's already pre-configured by default. Just copy it to appropriate directory and execute fc-cache -fv.

ugh

thanks a LOT!

this really helped

my jap fonts look very smooth and the rendering is just fine :D

just one question...
are bitmap fonts then always disabled or they still get to be used if there's no other font availlable even tho they are disabled?
amarok seems to need that bitmap font inhibition in order to present all jap signs with the IPA mona font...
other apps use the non-bitmap version..
but my question is...
if i disable bitmap font usage.. would that affect all other unicode

#8 2008-02-06 11:36:53

elbecko
Website

_saiko wrote:

are bitmap fonts then always disabled or they still get to be used if there's no other font availlable even tho they are disabled?
amarok seems to need that bitmap font inhibition in order to present all jap signs with the IPA mona font...
other apps use the non-bitmap version..
but my question is...
if i disable bitmap font usage.. would that affect all other unicode

70-no-bitmaps.conf prevents non-scalable fonts from being selected. That is, ALL bitmap fonts are blacklisted unconditionally and treated as if they don't exist on your system. If you don't prefer such behavior, you can re-define it by removing 70-no-bitmaps.conf symlink and adding your own rule(s) to ~/.fonts.conf as you like.

Personally, I've never done it, though...

#9 2008-05-21 13:15:31

allbluedream

My problem is exactly the opposite. Amarok under gnome can display kanji, but not kana.  The kanji characters are displayed in amarok with wqy-zenhei, which is designed to show all CJK characters, and I have kana under gnome alright with the same font, so I am really puzzled...

Board footer