You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-20 04:39:33

link2009

Refresh Issue (Or at least I think so) regarding X and 3D apps

Okay, I'm running a D600 Dell Laptop will Arch on it. Arch is completely up to date and I've had this laptop for about 3 years with Arch running flawlessly. I've had X running at it's minimal potential until 2 months ago. I wanted to play Counter-Strike and a few other games so I went ahead and got the open source drivers for my card (ATI Radeon 9600) since the proprietary drivers don't support this card.

I enabled Xorg with DRI, EXA acceleration, AGP 4x and whatnot. I also did something very stupid. Since my system boots to X automatically and X respawn is enabled, any modifications to xorg.conf are ... 'indefinite' big_smile. I added "AGPFastWrite" "yes" and I couldn't boot into my system any longer but a Knoppix CD fixed that smile.

The problem I'm having right now is that in all my 3-D enabled apps, certain GUI elements keep refreshing. For example in Counter-Strike, the background image constantly flashes on and off when I'm in a game (on a server). It also happens in OpenArena. I set up Xorg.conf with hwd first and then editted it to suit my needs but apparently it needs some more fine-tuning.

Can anyone lend a helping hand? smile

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm running Compiz-Fusion (Beryl) so I hope that's not conflicting with this.

Last edited by link2009 (2008-05-20 04:49:14)

#2 2008-05-21 17:14:58

Dheart

Re: Refresh Issue (Or at least I think so) regarding X and 3D apps

Compiz-fusion might be the issue... most probably... Try disabling it and see if you have this problem again... Then Someone else who knows how to solve this problem could enlighten you...

My victim you are meant to be
No, you cannot hide nor flee
You know what I'm looking for
Pleasure your torture, I will endure...

Board footer