You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-21 20:55:22

Feynman

Poor performance with compiz, nvidia, tabbed browsing

Whenever I try to open or close a tab in firefox, opera, or konqueror while running compiz-fusion, the browsers hangs for a second or two.  I have an Nvidia 8600GT mobile, and I'm using compiz-fusion with loose binding as advised by http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dell_XPS_M1330

My performance is great in any other circumstance -- I can rotate the cube with videos playing on multiple faces without a huge frame drop, for example.   It's only those silly browser tabs..

Anybody else have a similar issue or a solution? hmm

#2 2008-05-21 22:04:05

shazeal

Re: Poor performance with compiz, nvidia, tabbed browsing

Have you tried Firefox 3 beta? Failing that might be a plugin problem perhaps? Try removing flashplugin and other plugins common to all the browsers. If its a compiz problem I have no idea, I just installed it and it works tongue

#3 2008-05-21 22:29:43

allbluedream

Do you use emerald? It seems that emerald can seriously slow your system down (maybe because of pixmaps?) Try compiz-decorator-gtk. Install it and use fusion-icon to select the gtk window decorator.

Also, try some resource-friendly themes, e.g. rezlook and murrine.

#4 2008-05-22 00:52:13

Feynman

Switching from emerald seems to have solved this, but to be honest I'm a little baffled because absolutely everything else was smooth and this machine should be able to handle it...

Anyhow, thanks for the suggestion!

Board footer