You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-23 14:46:30

JeremyTheWicked

A new Archer from Poland says hi.

Hi you guys!

It is my first post here. I am a Polish guy, working as a translator so I might make myself useful in the future wink

I've just installed Arch a few days ago in VirtualBox inside my Ubuntu Hardy. And I love it so far.
From what posts I've read you are the friendliest and most helpful distro community I've seen.
Also the Arch Way is something I like a lot. The layout of the rc.conf is wonderful. Pacman rocks... etc. wink

I am thinking about making Arch my primary distro (it runs in a VM so far). I have a simple question with regards to that:
does the FTP installCD have the wireless drivers shipped or will I have to plug my laptop to a LAN somewhere?

And another question for the future (b/c I'm buying a new laptop): is there a Linux driver for Intel PRO/Wireless 4965AGN? Couldn't find one on wiki for that matter.

arch(3) adj amused because you think you understand something better than other people ;P

#2 2008-05-23 14:55:14

abhidg
Website

Re: A new Archer from Poland says hi.

Welcome to Arch!

The Intel wireless 4965 is supported (See http://www.intellinuxwireless.org/); just do
sudo pacman -S iwlwifi-4965-ucode and whatever frontend you like to manage
your connections.

I don't think the FTP install CD ships with the drivers, but you can always use the
CORE cd which will contain the drivers.

#3 2008-05-23 15:10:59

JeremyTheWicked

Hi!

Thanks for the prompt answer. You guys are great!
I can plug my laptop to a DHCP configured LAN for the time of the installation so it is not a big issue if I know I can install the wireless driver straight away.
With regards to the front ends I never really had to think about it b/c Ubuntu did the job for me. I guess I'll install the gnome-network-manager for starters.

arch(3) adj amused because you think you understand something better than other people ;P

#4 2008-05-23 15:18:27

lucke

Go, go, go, Polish translators!

Welcome to Arch :-)

Board footer