You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-23 04:27:01

Shadowmeph

which Arch Linux repository mirrors r the better ones

I was / am having some problems getting some of the files I need and did a search through the forums and found where that the Arch Linux repository mirrorlist  is and read that some are better then others I live on the West coast of Canada and am wondering which of the US servers are closer to where I am at?

#2 2008-05-23 04:57:39

Statix

Re: which Arch Linux repository mirrors r the better ones

mirrors.unixheads.org

and the official Arch mirror work best for me. I'm west coast canada. The official arch mirror seems to connect faster, so it's better for many small files, while unixheads seems to be faster for speed.

Madly in love with Arch64, Openbox, DotA, and of course... penguins!
Happy to help if you're not a Help Vampire. Use your wonderful resources like ArchWiki, Google, and our wonderful search page.

#3 2008-05-23 05:07:08

Allan
Pacman
Website

Please do not use the official Arch mirror.  It costs the distro, and thus uses resource that could be put to better use elsewhere.  It is also throttled which Statix seemed to notice...

You might want to try the rankmirrors script that comes with pacman.

#4 2008-05-23 06:16:09

tomk
Forum Fellow

rankmirrors works reasonably well. I prefer to select the four or five mirrors closest to me, try each of them for a little while, and then place them in order of performance at the top of the mirrorlist. You should also compare ftp and http connections from the same server, where available - http is almost always better for me.

#5 2008-05-23 07:33:59

Pierre
Developer
Website

ATM I am doing some research about mirrors response time (not ping, but the time it takes to download a certain file) and how often they snc from the master server. Here is a first overview: http://www.archlinux.de/?page=MirrorCheck (partly in German and might not be valid for the US)

According to this statistics the follwoing mirros are best for the US:
* mirrors.unixheads.org
* mirror.neotuli.net
* mirror.rit.edu
The others have an average delay from 11 to 18 hours. (so you have to decide if that's enough for you)

PS: Some translations:

Land = country
Antwortzeit = average time to dowload a certain file (red means slower than average time over all mirrors)
Verzögerung = average time between syncs (iondicates how up to date a mirror is)
Letzte Aktualisierung = last time the mirror was synced to the master server

You can sort the table by clicking on the headings.

#6 2008-05-23 20:04:52

Shadowmeph

ok I am currently checking rankmirrors -v /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist and some countryies are faster then others , does it matter from which country I download/get the files from or are they all the same ?

Last edited by Shadowmeph (2008-05-23 20:12:53)

#7 2008-05-23 20:07:44

Jack B
Website

All mirrors should hold an identical set of files (when they sync, which may not be every day).  Just choose the fastest, which will probably be one of the closest.

#8 2008-05-23 20:13:35

Shadowmeph

Thanks for all of your suggestions

Board footer