You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-23 21:22:14

Sjoden
Website

Want to learn, need suggestions.

I know a tiny bit of C++ and a little more about VB.NET. I'm not entirely new to programming.

I would like to make some lightweight GUI front ends to a few programs, not that they would be super useful to a lot of people, maybe some, but for a fun exercise in learning to code. I was wondering if there were any good IDEs that have, well, I don't know what the word is, but to visually make windows/forms, buttons, and to attach code to those actions, like Visual Studio .NET(i used 2003).

It seems that the "Glade Interface Designer" might be what I'm looking for. I don't care whether its QT or GTK, but I don't want to get kde dependencies, and really don't want to get gnome dependencies. If I had to choose on looks, I might lean towards GTK, but in the end it doesn't really matter.

Thanks,
Zack

#2 2008-05-23 22:29:05

skymt

Re: Want to learn, need suggestions.

Python is an excellent language for quick GUI development, thanks largely to the libraries available. Qt and GTK both have Python bindings available, but you should look at Qt first for its well-polished GUI builder.

#3 2008-05-24 06:26:11

hennes

Re: Want to learn, need suggestions.

Indeed, gui programming with python and pygtk is really easy. Just read through the tutorial at pygtk's homepage and you'll get the point very quick even without using an IDE to drag'n'drop the interface together.

Board footer