In my quest for nice fonts I have installed ttf-ms-fonts, and that has fixed up my fonts in firefox and thunderbird nicely.
My problem is that these fonts aren't available to apps such as nedit.
I have tried adding the font paths to my XF86Config like so:
But this doesn't seem to work. My XF86 log contains this:
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ttf-ms-fonts
I've tried a couple of things like reinstalling the ttf package, trying to regenerate the font cache, etc but when it comes down to it I know nothing about fonts really so there is probably an easy solution.
First, change it to:
Then, as root:
# fc-cache -fv
That's all (I think, not sure)
you could try removing (renaming) the fonts.cache file in those directories (fc-cache -fv from matias' post will regenerate) too
Thanks for your replies, guys.
Well yes, the tailing slash for my fontpaths was something I missed!
But even after fixing that up, running # fc-cache -fv, and even deleting the fonts.cache file then regenerating the cache, no luck.
Looking at all the relevant config files inside the font directories such as fonts.cache and fonts.dir, I can't see anything suspicious. They look much the same as those in other directories.
This might give somebody a hint though:
[root@mctav mctavish]# xset fp+ /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/
xset: bad font path element (#54), possible causes are:
Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
Directory missing fonts.dir
Incorrect font server address or syntax
Ownership and permissions for TTF and ttf-ms-fonts directories don't look any different to others that work, and the fonts.dir directories are definitely there. I don't know enough about the font server to know if there is a problem there.
I've googled for answers, but no luck.
Ah, the sweet mysteries!
I should probably add that the # fc-cache -f command looked ok when it ran -
fc-cache: "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF": caching, 21 fonts, 0 dir
fc-cache: "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ttf-ms-fonts": caching, 30 fonts, 0 dirs
-but didn't seem to fix my problem.
Also, the applications that I am failing to see the fonts in are nedit, and treepad (a neat little heirarchical organizer). Firefox and Thunderbird apps successfully make use of these new fonts.
Aha, I wasn't loading the "freetype" font module in XF86Config.
Problem solved. Thanks to colnago and matias for responding.
The new fonts look a bit rough, but seeing if I can fix that is my next project! I suspect it is antialiasing or something.
How did you load the freetype module?
I think I may be experiencing this problem...
The freetype module has to be loaded in your X config in /etc/X11/ (depends on which x package you are using). Under Section "Module" add Load "freetype" (if you don't have it already) and restart your x session.
I must say that even with this I'm experiencing disappearing of ms ttf fonts from time to time (after fc-cache -fv and everything...) - it's very strange - some applications can use these fonts and some (gtk1 for sure) just can't. I'm still not sure which of the strange actions I'm usually doing in this situation (including reboot :-)) brings them back. The fonts are also not visible in xfontsel application. Next time I'll have to spend more time on investigating this...
you can have a look at that: