You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-24 19:41:49

Reploid

Aircrack-ng, which tools to manage my network?

Hi guys and gals.

I am trying to get familiar with aircrack-ng. I am getting stuck at the FIRST step, I can't get my card into "monitor mode", my iwconfig just lists my card as running in managed mode.

Could this be due to network manager?

If aircrack doesn't go well with network manager, what should I use to control my internet connection?

Happy for any input! Cheers!

#2 2008-05-24 21:02:15

czar

Re: Aircrack-ng, which tools to manage my network?

check out the aircrack wiki @ their page. there is a tool for this.

#3 2008-05-24 23:55:21

Reploid

Hi!

Thank you for pointing out the wiki, however I have already skimmed through the wiki. The problem wasn't finding the wiki, the problem was finding an answer to all the other questions that I got by reading the wiki.

I didn't find the "tool" you were talking about, I suppose you are referring to the airmon-ng script to start and stop my interface in monitor mode. But issuing those commands doesn't work for me.

So I wondered if the problem was whether the command doesn't work because I have commented out network-profiles in my rc.conf daemons line (according to network-manager tutorial, great wiki by the way, great that some actually make wikis that n00bs can read) or whether the problem was that I was missing firmware, drivers or patches.

To find out whether the last thing was the issue, I discovered a thread on my wireless module from the rc.conf file, iwl3945, for my Intel Wireless PRO wifi card, but I couldn't figure out whether the discussion was about installing the iwl driver itself, or adding something to it. There was no wiki entry for it.

So I am now stuck with unanswered questions on multiple levels, and unsure of what to do as my next step. But again, thanks for pointing out the wiki. You are right that n00bs should read the wiki more often before making dumb posts.

Good night.

#4 2008-05-25 00:41:40

czar

yes, i was referring to airmon-ng. It is possible that your network card isn't able to go into monitor mode, only some are. First confirm that yours is one of them. After that you can manually put your card into monitor mode with:
$ wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode monitor
where ath0 is your wireless device.
But i don't really know much on the subject, just what i needed to learn for it to work for me.

Last edited by czar (2008-05-25 00:45:28)

#5 2008-05-25 01:20:39

iphitus
Forum Fellow

what are you actually trying to do?

why do you need aircrack to "manage" your wireless network? That's not what it does.

Last edited by iphitus (2008-05-25 01:20:52)

#6 2008-05-25 02:03:11

Stoffi

what I do is:
ifconfig wlan0 down
iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor
ifconfig wlan0 up

I took this from the aircrack wiki.

after I have finished playing with aircrack, i do:
ifconfig wlan0 down
iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor channel auto
ifconfig wlan0 up
netcfg2 -a
netcfg2 whitebox

I'm not sure if I need the last two steps, but I haven't bothered to find out.

I hope this helps smile

#7 2008-05-25 03:30:50

bangkok_manouel

Reploid. you need to use the following driver (not iwlwifi) for aircrack-ng:
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=15569

#8 2008-05-25 12:57:02

Reploid

bangkok, thanks a lot! But after reading the README of your suggested package in the AUR, it points to a forum thread which is labelled OBSOLETE. There is a new thread on the aircrack-forum about the new iwlwifi driver supposedly working with injection!

I managed to find out a bit more. It appears that there is a problem related to the new wireless stack of the linux kernel, the mac80211.

Airmon-ng in 1.0-beta2 doesn't currently support mac80211 drivers, you will need to manage monitor mode by hand. The latest svn version (rev. 1020 and up, rev. 1038 and up recommended) does support mac80211 however, using a tool called iw. Iw is called automatically by the airmon-ng script, or you might also call it directly to set up monitor interfaces.

I guess that my problem is that injection mode isn't supported because my iwl3945 driver is using the mac80211 wireless stack, according to the wiki. That would explain why I couldn't get past the first step, testing the injection.

[reploid@archcomputer ~]$ lsmod | grep mac80211
mac80211              117644  1 iwl3945
cfg80211               11400  1 mac80211

So, that means I need this tool called iw, if I have understood everything right. If anybody bothered reading this, I would be most happy if somebody could hold my hand, pat me on the head, and say that I have got this right. big_smile Now, I will try to compile the iw program on my own. I couldn't find an AUR package for it, so I guess I need to issue the make and make install command.

#9 2008-05-25 22:51:24

Stoffi

in your quote it says you need to manage monitor mode my hand, which is what i did in my previous example, at least as I have understood it.

try:
ifconfig wlan0 down
iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor
ifconfig wlan0 up

now to check that your card is in monitor mode:
iwconfig wlan0
and read the output.

if it is in monitor mode:
airodump-ng wlan0

and you should start to see what's around wink

if your wireless device is named eth1, you need to type that instead of wlan0
try this, what happens?