You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-25 20:17:34

calef13

hdd switching off after a few minutes

Hi,

I bought a new sata terabyte hard disk about january for my server for file storage but recently after the server has been on for only a few minutes, any attempts to access the hard disk are met with the error message "ls: reading directory /home: Input/output error". The hard disk in question is mounted to /home and another ide hard disk holds the operating system. Both disks are formatted with ext3. When I start getting this error, the drive disappears completely from the computer. It isn't even in /dev and the only way to get it back is to reboot. I have tried fsck but it found no problems. The motherboard is one of those asus ones with the fan on the southbridge(I think it's the southbridge, could be north) which are prone to failure, the one in the server is also non functional, which means if I do anything too intensive the motherboard overheats and reboots, however it has functioned fine as a file server and I don't think this would be the problem as the other hard disk works fine. The sata drive does support s.m.a.r.t but I don't know where the results of monitoring should show up, can anyone here enlighten me? Also any ideas as to why this may be happening or maybe some diagnostic tests I could run would be appreciated.

EDIT: after plugging the machine into the monitor I'm getting these error messages every half hour or so delivered by wall, "EXT3-fs error (device sdb1): ext3_find_entry: reading directory #2 offset 0"

Thanks,

Last edited by calef13 (2008-05-26 12:30:02)

#2 2008-05-26 19:39:19

jealma

Re: hdd switching off after a few minutes

Hi, as for s.m.a.r.t.-information you need to do `pacman -S smartmontools`.
Then you can use `smartctl -d ata -a /dev/sdx | less` to see the s.m.a.r.t.-information for /dev/sdx. Replace /dev/sdx with the designation of the drive you wish to examine. If you would want to see information for a non-sata harddisk, you don't need the `-d ata` parameter.

Board footer