You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-26 03:11:14

doctorrockso

DESKTOP WON'T BOOT, Possible errors w/ hal or fam

Hey All,

Just got my system working the way I wanted. I was running the awesome windows manager, and I just installed Hal and Fam. Last night I shut down from the command line (shutdown -hP -t 30 now), and I have not been able to get my system to boot at all, it doesn't even show the hardware screen at startup. The CD drive is making a lot of noise, and I am wondering if it is trying to boot from there.

I tried opening the tray, I tried throwing in a CD, just so I could get the boot menu, but nothing. Anyone else had problems with hal and fam like this, could it be the hardware. I can't even get into the system to change anything, so I am obviously having problems diagnosing this issue.

Thanks for any help you can give.

#2 2008-05-26 06:31:58

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: DESKTOP WON'T BOOT, Possible errors w/ hal or fam

Not even bios screen? hardware fault.

Any display at all? Does it beep at all?

#3 2008-05-26 19:44:07

jealma

Re: DESKTOP WON'T BOOT, Possible errors w/ hal or fam

If you don't even get through P.O.S.T. (Power On Self Test), then it's definately a hardware issue, like iphitus sais. If it does P.O.S.T, you could try a bootable USB-stick or CDrom. If the computer is trying to boot from CDrom automatically and you want to boot off your HDD, then you will want to press one of F12, F11, F2 or ESC to get a bootmenu in which you can select what device to boot from.
If the problem is with HAL or FAM, then you should at least get to the part where Arch boots.

Board footer