You are not logged in.

#26 2008-05-25 04:44:31

upsidaisium
Website

Re: Help me pick a tiling wm :)

if you read the dwm mailing list it's easy to follow development and figure out when the next version is due.  but as skymt mentioned, you can just checkout the latest version from the mercurial repository and it will likely work fine as long as you keep an eye on changes to the header file..

I've seen young people waste their time reading books about sensitive vampires. It's kinda sad. But you say it's not the end of the world... Well, maybe it is!

#27 2008-05-27 18:47:10

Myav

I make the choice between written in Haskell xmoand and stumpwm written in Lisp. Both are extremely extensible by those languages and at first sight look similar. But there are some subjective thoughts:

Learning Haskell or Lisp takes much time, thus if you want to extend your wm (like your emacs or vim) you'll need to spend some time to it. Lisp or Haskell? smile

offtopic: as I know major contributor to the design of the Haskell language and a principal designer of the GHC - Simon Peyton Jones - works at Microsoft sad

xmonad has a lot of contributions packed into independent package which is available in our repo. This is good.
xmonad is more popular than stumpwm.

#28 2008-05-27 19:16:08

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

cardinals_fan wrote:

I think that I'll try it out on my new OpenSolaris install.

I can envision OpenSolaris becoming the UNIX that finally got it right. I can also envision OpenSolaris becoming the UNIX that got it right, but was 15 years too late.
I tried the developer preview and was more impressed with it than with any GNU/Linux alpha, beta, or rc ever.
It was stable, fast, and even automatically configured my wireless card out of the box on my T-23.
The kernel seems efficient, stable and battle-hardened over the many years of development, unlike the Linux kernel, which seems to take a dive in stability and regression every so often.
I actually have no reason to use Open Solaris at this time, but I hope the buzz continues and it grows into something great.
Along with OpenBSD, NetBSD and Arch, OpenSolaris really seems to be doing a lot of things right: small, stable, trim, UNIXy and minimal base with only the userland stuff you want/need added.

#29 2008-05-27 20:43:44

cardinals_fan

Misfit138 wrote:
cardinals_fan wrote:

I think that I'll try it out on my new OpenSolaris install.

I can envision OpenSolaris becoming the UNIX that finally got it right. I can also envision OpenSolaris becoming the UNIX that got it right, but was 15 years too late.
I tried the developer preview and was more impressed with it than with any GNU/Linux alpha, beta, or rc ever.
It was stable, fast, and even automatically configured my wireless card out of the box on my T-23.
The kernel seems efficient, stable and battle-hardened over the many years of development, unlike the Linux kernel, which seems to take a dive in stability and regression every so often.
I actually have no reason to use Open Solaris at this time, but I hope the buzz continues and it grows into something great.
Along with OpenBSD, NetBSD and Arch, OpenSolaris really seems to be doing a lot of things right: small, stable, trim, UNIXy and minimal base with only the userland stuff you want/need added.

My experience with the OpenSolaris Live CD was great, but the install was rocky.  My wireless-card-from-hell is a disaster in Indiana.  I really like NetBSD, but the lack of a proprietary NVIDIA card is irritating.

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

#30 2008-05-27 22:44:06

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

finferflu wrote:
phrakture wrote:

For the record, I use evilwm (well, with some random custom changes). I used ratpoison for years.

Neither of these WMs are "tiling". They are one step down in the minimalism chart.

I doubt I'll go back to ratpoison. I do miss the config file, you could do A LOT with it, but evilwm is more enjoyable to use.

How do you manage with no frames? I've used Ratpoison for a long time as well, but it was very hard for me to get back to floating mode and windows, in fact shortly after a period with Gnome I went back to wmii.

C-A-x in evilwm will toggle maximized windows. I just use that, and alt-tab to flick between the windows. Also, focus-follows-mouse is good here because I can use smaller floating windows on top of the maximized windows. It's basically all the features I wanted ratpoison to have, with some of the ratpoison features I loved disappearing.

I have thought about tryhing this though: http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=826306

Board footer