You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-28 14:40:48

czechman86
Website

Nautilus Can't Be Used Now Due To An Unexpected Error

I discovered that I am getting this message almost every time that I restart X using the command Ctrl + Alt + Backspace. I have been trying to figure out my proper resolution and have been doing many of these restarts recently.

The error message in full reads:

Nautilus can't be used now, due to an unexpected error from Bonobo when attempting to locate the factory. Killing bonobo-activation-server and restarting Nautilus may help fix the problem.

I followed this advise and ran a killall on both the activation server and nautilus. things seemed to be fixed after restarting x. i have been doing a fair bit of research on this phenomenon and it appears that over time that these fixes do not work and the problem rapidly gets worse.

i have searched the arch forum for references to this problem but found none. has anyone dealt with this problem, and if so, have you managed to fix it?

some articles site success with the deletion of ~/.config file or creating a new user. i was thinking of running

pacman -Sy gnome gnome-extras etc...

in order to reinstall gnome to see if that might clear up the problem.

any help or advice that you could offer on the situation would be great. thank you!

EDIT:
I can almost say with some certainty, that this is a permission's problem. After a nautilus failure, i always have to reset sudo with sudo -K.

possible solution(s) next post:

Last edited by czechman86 (2008-05-28 23:24:46)

Мой адрес не дом и не улица Мой адрес Советский Союз

#2 2008-05-28 23:23:40

czechman86
Website

Re: Nautilus Can't Be Used Now Due To An Unexpected Error

looks like the gtk theme is not the problem. didnt really think it was, but the documentation was worth posting. the guys over at ubuntu look as though they have dealt with this in great detail, and have produced a few solutions, which may or may not work. i have decided to post these for anyone else who may have these problems.

Solution 1 - new user creation:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/104521

Solution 2 - config file delete:
http://ge.ubuntuforums.com/showthread.php?t=724439
post number 6 here features the config file delete solution, as well as a link to another post which may be useful.

judging by a google search on this problem and the number of responses that came up, the bonobo/daemon error is quite a common curse for the users of gnome, although much more common in distros such as ubuntu or fedora.

i hope that this proves useful and if anyone has anything to add, please feel free. the more documentation the better.

EDIT:
another solution would be to remove gnome and reinstall it from scratch. (some please tell me if i am doing this correctly. thanks smile )

1. clean your catch:

pacman -Scc

2. remove gnome, gnome extras, and whatever other gnome files you might have installed

pacman -Rscn gnome gnome-extra etc...

3. reinstall gnome and gnome extras

pacman -Sy gnome gnome-extra

4. reconfigure your desktop the way you want.

Last edited by czechman86 (2008-05-28 23:42:43)

Мой адрес не дом и не улица Мой адрес Советский Союз

Board footer