You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-29 15:04:04

The Avatar of Time

[SOLVED] I deleted my rc.conf.

Hello all,

Well, I am a genius. Or perhaps not....... I just deleted my '/etc/rc.conf' on accident. I meant to remove a different file, but I had been editing '/etc/rc.conf' a lot that night. So when I did a 'sudo rm', '/etc/rc.conf' was what I typed. I finally found a basic backup of it and used that. I even got my internet back to working.

I realize that none of that is relevant. My question is:

Is there some easy way to get all the modules and daemons back in there? I don't know what all modules and daemons where there before, so I don't know which ones to put back in there. I was hoping that there was some neat trick to scan for what modules and daemons that I need in '/etc/rc.conf' and put them there. Any chance of that?

Any advice to help me get out of this mess would be greatly appreciated. I may even put some thought into what I delete next time. smile

Also the backup of '/etc/rc.conf' was named '/etc/rc.conf.pacnew'. And I also noticed that in Midnight Commander all the backup files have a '*' before them. So '/etc/rc.conf.pacnew' appeared as '*rc.conf.pacnew'. However, I renamed it 'rc.conf.backup' before thinking that perhaps it needs to be '*rc.conf.pacnew' in order for the fallback kernel to use it. Is this the case? If so how do I get the '*' back in the name? Because now that I renamed it back to 'rc.conf.pacnew' is doesn't have the '*' before it.

I would think that since the fallback kernel would boot and the regular one would not, then the fallback must use that backup file. I would also think that that file would have to have a certain name in order to be found. If not, that is great, but if so, I need to get it renamed properly. Thanks.

Last edited by The Avatar of Time (2008-05-30 16:46:44)

#2 2008-05-29 15:08:28

bangkok_manouel

Re: [SOLVED] I deleted my rc.conf.

run:

hwdetect --modules

#3 2008-05-29 15:18:37

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Don't worry about the * - I'm surprised it's even there.  Maybe that's because it was executable, or something wierd?  Dunno.

As for your daemons, just look at the contents of /etc/rc.d and figure out which ones you need.  Some should be clear (syslog-ng, network, etc...) and others, well, hopefully you know what custom daemons you were running before.

#4 2008-05-29 15:24:33

The Avatar of Time

bangkok_manouel wrote:

run:

hwdetect --modules

Thanks for the reply. I ran 'hwdetect --modules' and got:

bash-3.2$ hwdetect --modules
MODULES=(button dock processor thermal cdrom lp ppdev firewire-core firewire-ohci hid usbhid k8temp i2c-algo-bit i2c-nforce2 i2c-core evdev ff-memless joydev pcspkr psmouse serio_raw tda18271 tda827x xc5000 cx2341x cx25840 ivtv mt20xx tda8290 tda9887 tea5761 tea5767 tuner-simple tuner-xc2028 tuner tveeprom v4l1-compat v4l2-common videodev wm8775 lirc_dev lirc_mceusb2 parport parport_pc pci_hotplug shpchp rtc-cmos rtc-core rtc-lib nvidia crc-itu-t snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm-oss snd-hwdep snd-page-alloc snd-pcm snd-timer snd snd-hda-intel soundcore pata_acpi pata_amd ata_generic scsi_mod sata_nv sata_sil24 forcedeth ppp_generic slhc usb-storage usbhid usbcore ehci-hcd ohci-hcd firewire-core firewire-ohci ieee1394 ohci1394 sd_mod sr_mod)

So do I just copy all that and put it in my '/etc/rc.conf'? That seems like way more modules than used to be in there, but that is fine. What about the daemons though? Thanks.

#5 2008-05-29 15:27:16

The Avatar of Time

Cerebral wrote:

Don't worry about the * - I'm surprised it's even there.  Maybe that's because it was executable, or something wierd?  Dunno.

As for your daemons, just look at the contents of /etc/rc.d and figure out which ones you need.  Some should be clear (syslog-ng, network, etc...) and others, well, hopefully you know what custom daemons you were running before.

Thanks. So as long as it is named '/etc/rc.conf.pacnew' it will be fine then? That is good. It does need to be 'rc.conf.pacnew' though right? Or can it be named anything? The '*' may just be there to tell me that they are backup files I suppose.

Good to know about the deamons. So do I just add all of them that are in the '/etc/rc.d' to the 'DAEMONS=()'? Thanks.

Last edited by The Avatar of Time (2008-05-29 15:32:19)

#6 2008-05-29 15:31:08

bangkok_manouel

The Avatar of Time wrote:
bangkok_manouel wrote:

run:

hwdetect --modules

Thanks for the reply. I ran 'hwdetect --modules' and got:

bash-3.2$ hwdetect --modules
MODULES=(button dock processor thermal cdrom lp ppdev firewire-core firewire-ohci hid usbhid k8temp i2c-algo-bit i2c-nforce2 i2c-core evdev ff-memless joydev pcspkr psmouse serio_raw tda18271 tda827x xc5000 cx2341x cx25840 ivtv mt20xx tda8290 tda9887 tea5761 tea5767 tuner-simple tuner-xc2028 tuner tveeprom v4l1-compat v4l2-common videodev wm8775 lirc_dev lirc_mceusb2 parport parport_pc pci_hotplug shpchp rtc-cmos rtc-core rtc-lib nvidia crc-itu-t snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm-oss snd-hwdep snd-page-alloc snd-pcm snd-timer snd snd-hda-intel soundcore pata_acpi pata_amd ata_generic scsi_mod sata_nv sata_sil24 forcedeth ppp_generic slhc usb-storage usbhid usbcore ehci-hcd ohci-hcd firewire-core firewire-ohci ieee1394 ohci1394 sd_mod sr_mod)

So do I just copy all that and put it in my '/etc/rc.conf'? That seems like way more modules than used to be in there, but that is fine. What about the daemons though? Thanks.

check hwdetect --help
IIRC, former installer used (i may be wrong but anyway, no big deal):
hwdetect --sound
hwdetect --net

edit: typos

Last edited by bangkok_manouel (2008-05-29 15:31:57)

#7 2008-05-29 15:43:36

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Thanks. So as long as it is named '/etc/rc.conf.pacnew' it will be fine then? That is good. It does need to be 'rc.conf.pacnew' though right? Or can it be named anything? The '*' may just be there to tell me that they are backup files I suppose.

No, it needs be named /etc/rc.conf.   The pacnew file is created by pacman if you've edited your rc.conf, so that you can compare your edited version to the version in the package - nothing will ever use /etc/rc.conf.pacnew for anything.

Good to know about the deamons. So do I just add all of them that are in the '/etc/rc.d' to the 'DAEMONS=()'? Thanks.

No, you look through that directory and decide which you need.  I would strongly advise AGAINST adding every single daemon installed on your system into your DAEMONS array - look through the list and figure out which you need.

#8 2008-05-29 16:30:21

The Avatar of Time

Okay, this is what I have went with for DAEMONS:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network netfs crond cups dbus hal jack-audio-connection-kit
lircd lircmd mdadm mysqld mythbackend alsa)

I think this should pretty much cover things. Hope so at least.

When it comes to MODULES though I don't know what to think for sure. The only module that I remeber having to add is 'vboxdrv' which I have now. Could I see an example of someone's MODULES to give me a better idea what to look for please?

Last edited by The Avatar of Time (2008-05-29 16:33:36)

#9 2008-05-29 16:48:20

jacko

my modules line looks like this...

MODULES = ()

that is why arch uses udev, so I don;t have to worry about loading modules. If u need vboxdrv and u know it, then put only that one there. IMO

#10 2008-05-29 16:52:11

Stythys
Website

yeah...udev should auto load most modules you need. if you still want an idea of what you could put in there, here's mine: ndiswrapper e100 eepro100 mii slhc ac97_bus snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm-oss snd-page-alloc snd-pcm snd-timer snd snd-ac97-codec snd-intel8x0 soundcore

they were mostly in there by default, and I never bothered removing them

Last edited by Stythys (2008-05-29 16:52:57)

[home page] -- [code / configs]

"Once you go Arch, you must remain there for life or else Allan will track you down and break you."
-- Bregol

#11 2008-05-29 16:53:13

The Avatar of Time

jacko wrote:

my modules line looks like this...

MODULES = ()

that is why arch uses udev, so I don;t have to worry about loading modules. If u need vboxdrv and u know it, then put only that one there. IMO

I see. I am still new to Arch, having used Ubuntu before. I don't know much about MODULES anyway, I just figured they were important/mandatory. Thanks.

#12 2008-05-29 16:55:48

The Avatar of Time

Stythys wrote:

yeah...udev should auto load most modules you need. if you still want an idea of what you could put in there, here's mine: ndiswrapper e100 eepro100 mii slhc ac97_bus snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm-oss snd-page-alloc snd-pcm snd-timer snd snd-ac97-codec snd-intel8x0 soundcore

they were mostly in there by default, and I never bothered removing them

So if I understand right, the DAEMONS are necessary but the MODULES are not? That works for me. Seems odd though, but that's fine. Thanks.

#13 2008-05-29 17:17:54

jacko

udev on slow computers can take forever, sometimes its better to turn off udev and hand load modules if u have POS computer. If not then let udev handle your hardware modules and only add them if udev doesn't load a module u need.

#14 2008-05-30 00:54:11

pauldonnelly

The '*' may just be there to tell me that they are backup files I suppose.

It means the file is executable, not that it's a backup. The rc backups just happen to be executable.

#15 2008-05-30 16:45:48

The Avatar of Time

pauldonnelly wrote:

It means the file is executable, not that it's a backup. The rc backups just happen to be executable.

Thanks for explaining that. I believe that I have everything fixed now. Thanks to everyone for the great help.

Board footer