You are not logged in.

#101 2008-05-29 19:57:48

lexiw
Member
Registered: 2008-04-29
Posts: 46

Re: Arch Linux and Splashy, a big update

SiD wrote:
lexiw wrote:

After a week of hard work I'm ready for a new release.
...
The files are here: http://slexiw.netsons.org/files/splashy-stuff7.tar.gz

I've done some testing with the new packages.

The black artifacts are gone. smile

yay smile

SiD wrote:


using SLiM started as daemon in rc.conf

works without any Problems.

yay smile

SiD wrote:


using SLiM started via inittab

On reboot or halt, the login-prompt on vc/1 is shown (for maybe a second) before the Splash-Screen appears.

A minor glitch, there are still some left, they was "low priority bugs" until now.

SiD wrote:


booting into runlevel 3 (using no Login-Manager)

After booting the Splash Screen dissappears and I get a black screen. I have to press a key to get the login prompt on vc/1.

I have the same problem, it's related to directfb, i haven't yet found a workaround.

SiD wrote:

On reboot or halt (executed from an X-Term) vc/1 is shown with "The System is going down for reboot / system halt NOW!" and the system freezes! I have to use the power button...

Are you sure it's frozen? Maybe the splash is on another tty and you don't see the shutdown progress at all.

SiD wrote:

Executing "reboot" or "halt" from console (without running X) works.

yay smile

Offline

#102 2008-05-29 20:17:33

Atticus
Member
Registered: 2007-06-14
Posts: 52

Re: Arch Linux and Splashy, a big update

I've installed the latest (stuff7) package (initscripts-splash, splashy) and everything seems to be working.  However, at the end of the bootup process a message like "Something failed, killing splashy" is displayed.  But then it just boots up right into X like there was no problem.  I can't find any type of log file or other way to debug the problem.

Also, I'm not totally sure, but I think there is an issue with the archlinux-burn theme (not the 4:3 one).  I just get a black screen when trying it out.  And using gsplashy (a splashy config tool found in the aur), the other themes all show background images in the preview, but the archlinux-burn theme does not show anything.

Last edited by Atticus (2008-05-29 20:33:01)

Offline

#103 2008-05-29 20:30:38

lexiw
Member
Registered: 2008-04-29
Posts: 46

Re: Arch Linux and Splashy, a big update

Atticus wrote:

I've installed the latest (stuff7) package (initscripts-splash, splashy) and everything seems to be working.  However, at the end of the bootup process a message like "Something failed, killing splashy" is displayed.  But then it just boots up right into X like there was no problem.  I can't find any type of log file or other way to debug the problem.

A daemon called stat_fail. When a daemons is loading it's status is changed either ti [DONE] o [FAIL]. Probably a daemon failed to load. Open /etc/splash.conf and enable debug, reboot and paste the content of /var/log/splash/splash.log

Offline

#104 2008-05-29 20:53:59

Atticus
Member
Registered: 2007-06-14
Posts: 52

Re: Arch Linux and Splashy, a big update

Here's the output...

It has to do with the network, which makes sense because there is something going on with the network.  I'm working on a virtualized archlinux guest (archlinux as guest) doing some messing around and I may have broken network stuff.

Hello damned debugger
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_enabled_cmdline
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_enabled_config
/etc/rc.sysinit Running initscript...
/etc/rc.sysinit set_sysinit
SPLASH_PROGRESS_TOTAL=30 SPLASH_AUTORUN_COMMAND=splash_sysinit
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_sysinit
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_sysinit
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_wait_till_ready
tries=0
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_print
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_print
Booting Arch Linux...
/etc/rc.sysinit printhl
/etc/rc.sysinit printhl
/etc/rc.sysinit printhl
/etc/rc.sysinit printhl
/etc/rc.sysinit printhl
/etc/rc.sysinit printsep
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_busy
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_print
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_print
Starting UDev Daemon
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_done
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_busy
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_print
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_print
Loading Modules
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_done
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_busy
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_print
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_print
Loading standard ACPI modules
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_done
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_busy
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_print
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_print
Loading UDev uevents
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_done
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit printhl
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_busy
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_print
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_print
Bringing up loopback interface
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_done
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_busy
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_print
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_print
Mounting Root Read-only
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_done
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_busy
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_print
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_print
Checking Filesystems
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_done
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_busy
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_print
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_print
Mounting Local Filesystems
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_done
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_busy
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_print
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_print
Activating Swap
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_done
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_busy
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_print
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_print
Configuring System Clock
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_done
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_busy
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_print
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_print
Initializing Random Seed
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_done
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_busy
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_print
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_print
Removing Leftover Files
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_done
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_busy
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_print
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_print
Setting Hostname: myhost
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_done
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_busy
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_print
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_print
Updating Module Dependencies
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_done
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_busy
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_print
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_print
Setting Locale: en_US.utf8
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_done
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_busy
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_print
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_print
Setting Consoles to UTF-8 mode
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_done
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_busy
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_print
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_print
Loading Keyboard Map: us
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_done
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_progress
/etc/rc.multi splash_enabled_cmdline
/etc/rc.multi splash_enabled_config
/etc/rc.multi Running initscript...
/etc/rc.multi set_multi
SPLASH_PROGRESS_TOTAL=30 SPLASH_AUTORUN_COMMAND=splash_multi
/etc/rc.multi splash_multi
/etc/rc.multi splashy_multi
/etc/rc.multi splash_progress
/etc/rc.multi splashy_progress
/etc/rc.multi splash_print
/etc/rc.multi splashy_print
Loading daemons...
/etc/rc.multi start_daemon
/etc/rc.multi log_daemon
/etc/rc.multi splash_progress
/etc/rc.multi splashy_progress
/etc/rc.d/syslog-ng splash_enabled_cmdline
/etc/rc.d/syslog-ng splash_enabled_config
/etc/rc.d/syslog-ng stat_busy
/etc/rc.d/syslog-ng deltext
/etc/rc.d/syslog-ng splash_print
/etc/rc.d/syslog-ng splashy_print
Starting Syslog-NG
/etc/rc.d/syslog-ng stat_done
/etc/rc.d/syslog-ng deltext
/etc/rc.d/syslog-ng splash_progress
/etc/rc.multi start_daemon
/etc/rc.multi log_daemon
/etc/rc.multi splash_progress
/etc/rc.multi splashy_progress
/etc/rc.d/network splash_enabled_cmdline
/etc/rc.d/network splash_enabled_config
/etc/rc.d/network stat_busy
/etc/rc.d/network deltext
/etc/rc.d/network splash_print
/etc/rc.d/network splashy_print
Starting Network
/etc/rc.d/network stat_done
/etc/rc.d/network deltext
/etc/rc.d/network splash_progress
/etc/rc.multi start_daemon
/etc/rc.multi log_daemon
/etc/rc.multi splash_progress
/etc/rc.multi splashy_progress
/etc/rc.d/netfs splash_enabled_cmdline
/etc/rc.d/netfs splash_enabled_config
/etc/rc.d/netfs stat_busy
/etc/rc.d/netfs deltext
/etc/rc.d/netfs splash_print
/etc/rc.d/netfs splashy_print
Mounting Network Filesystems
/etc/rc.d/netfs stat_fail
/etc/rc.d/netfs splash_print
/etc/rc.d/netfs splashy_print
Something failed, killing splash...
/etc/rc.d/netfs splash_exit
/etc/rc.d/netfs splashy_exit
/etc/rc.d/netfs splashy_kill
tries=0
/etc/rc.multi start_daemon
/etc/rc.multi log_daemon
/etc/rc.multi splash_progress
/etc/rc.multi splashy_progress
/etc/rc.d/crond splash_enabled_cmdline
/etc/rc.d/crond splash_enabled_config
/etc/rc.d/crond stat_busy
/etc/rc.d/crond deltext
/etc/rc.d/crond splash_print
/etc/rc.d/crond splashy_print
Starting Cron Daemon
/etc/rc.d/crond stat_done
/etc/rc.d/crond deltext
/etc/rc.d/crond splash_progress
/etc/rc.multi start_daemon
/etc/rc.multi log_daemon
/etc/rc.multi splash_exit
/etc/rc.multi splashy_exit
/etc/rc.multi splash_progress
/etc/rc.multi splashy_progress
/etc/rc.d/slim splash_enabled_cmdline
/etc/rc.d/slim splash_enabled_config
/etc/rc.d/slim stat_busy
/etc/rc.d/slim deltext
/etc/rc.d/slim splash_print
/etc/rc.d/slim splashy_print
Starting Simple Login Manager
/etc/rc.d/slim stat_done
/etc/rc.d/slim deltext
/etc/rc.d/slim splash_progress
/etc/rc.multi splash_exit
/etc/rc.multi splashy_exit

Last edited by Atticus (2008-05-29 20:55:56)

Offline

#105 2008-05-29 21:05:57

lexiw
Member
Registered: 2008-04-29
Posts: 46

Re: Arch Linux and Splashy, a big update

Atticus wrote:

Here's the output...

It has to do with the network, which makes sense because there is something going on with the network.  I'm working on a virtualized archlinux guest (archlinux as guest) doing some messing around and I may have broken network stuff.

Hello damned debugger
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_enabled_cmdline
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_enabled_config
/etc/rc.sysinit Running initscript...
/etc/rc.sysinit set_sysinit
SPLASH_PROGRESS_TOTAL=30 SPLASH_AUTORUN_COMMAND=splash_sysinit
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_sysinit
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_sysinit
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_wait_till_ready
tries=0
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_print
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_print
Booting Arch Linux...
/etc/rc.sysinit printhl
/etc/rc.sysinit printhl
/etc/rc.sysinit printhl
/etc/rc.sysinit printhl
/etc/rc.sysinit printhl
/etc/rc.sysinit printsep
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_busy
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_print
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_print
Starting UDev Daemon
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_done
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_busy
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_print
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_print
Loading Modules
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_done
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_busy
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_print
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_print
Loading standard ACPI modules
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_done
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_busy
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_print
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_print
Loading UDev uevents
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_done
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit printhl
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_busy
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_print
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_print
Bringing up loopback interface
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_done
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_busy
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_print
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_print
Mounting Root Read-only
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_done
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_busy
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_print
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_print
Checking Filesystems
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_done
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_busy
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_print
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_print
Mounting Local Filesystems
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_done
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_busy
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_print
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_print
Activating Swap
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_done
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_busy
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_print
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_print
Configuring System Clock
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_done
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_busy
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_print
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_print
Initializing Random Seed
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_done
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_busy
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_print
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_print
Removing Leftover Files
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_done
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_busy
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_print
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_print
Setting Hostname: myhost
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_done
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_busy
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_print
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_print
Updating Module Dependencies
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_done
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_busy
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_print
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_print
Setting Locale: en_US.utf8
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_done
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_busy
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_print
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_print
Setting Consoles to UTF-8 mode
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_done
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_busy
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_print
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_print
Loading Keyboard Map: us
/etc/rc.sysinit stat_done
/etc/rc.sysinit deltext
/etc/rc.sysinit splash_progress
/etc/rc.sysinit splashy_progress
/etc/rc.multi splash_enabled_cmdline
/etc/rc.multi splash_enabled_config
/etc/rc.multi Running initscript...
/etc/rc.multi set_multi
SPLASH_PROGRESS_TOTAL=30 SPLASH_AUTORUN_COMMAND=splash_multi
/etc/rc.multi splash_multi
/etc/rc.multi splashy_multi
/etc/rc.multi splash_progress
/etc/rc.multi splashy_progress
/etc/rc.multi splash_print
/etc/rc.multi splashy_print
Loading daemons...
/etc/rc.multi start_daemon
/etc/rc.multi log_daemon
/etc/rc.multi splash_progress
/etc/rc.multi splashy_progress
/etc/rc.d/syslog-ng splash_enabled_cmdline
/etc/rc.d/syslog-ng splash_enabled_config
/etc/rc.d/syslog-ng stat_busy
/etc/rc.d/syslog-ng deltext
/etc/rc.d/syslog-ng splash_print
/etc/rc.d/syslog-ng splashy_print
Starting Syslog-NG
/etc/rc.d/syslog-ng stat_done
/etc/rc.d/syslog-ng deltext
/etc/rc.d/syslog-ng splash_progress
/etc/rc.multi start_daemon
/etc/rc.multi log_daemon
/etc/rc.multi splash_progress
/etc/rc.multi splashy_progress
/etc/rc.d/network splash_enabled_cmdline
/etc/rc.d/network splash_enabled_config
/etc/rc.d/network stat_busy
/etc/rc.d/network deltext
/etc/rc.d/network splash_print
/etc/rc.d/network splashy_print
Starting Network
/etc/rc.d/network stat_done
/etc/rc.d/network deltext
/etc/rc.d/network splash_progress
/etc/rc.multi start_daemon
/etc/rc.multi log_daemon
/etc/rc.multi splash_progress
/etc/rc.multi splashy_progress
/etc/rc.d/netfs splash_enabled_cmdline
/etc/rc.d/netfs splash_enabled_config
/etc/rc.d/netfs stat_busy
/etc/rc.d/netfs deltext
/etc/rc.d/netfs splash_print
/etc/rc.d/netfs splashy_print
Mounting Network Filesystems
/etc/rc.d/netfs stat_fail
/etc/rc.d/netfs splash_print
/etc/rc.d/netfs splashy_print
Something failed, killing splash...
/etc/rc.d/netfs splash_exit
/etc/rc.d/netfs splashy_exit
/etc/rc.d/netfs splashy_kill
tries=0
/etc/rc.multi start_daemon
/etc/rc.multi log_daemon
/etc/rc.multi splash_progress
/etc/rc.multi splashy_progress
/etc/rc.d/crond splash_enabled_cmdline
/etc/rc.d/crond splash_enabled_config
/etc/rc.d/crond stat_busy
/etc/rc.d/crond deltext
/etc/rc.d/crond splash_print
/etc/rc.d/crond splashy_print
Starting Cron Daemon
/etc/rc.d/crond stat_done
/etc/rc.d/crond deltext
/etc/rc.d/crond splash_progress
/etc/rc.multi start_daemon
/etc/rc.multi log_daemon
/etc/rc.multi splash_exit
/etc/rc.multi splashy_exit
/etc/rc.multi splash_progress
/etc/rc.multi splashy_progress
/etc/rc.d/slim splash_enabled_cmdline
/etc/rc.d/slim splash_enabled_config
/etc/rc.d/slim stat_busy
/etc/rc.d/slim deltext
/etc/rc.d/slim splash_print
/etc/rc.d/slim splashy_print
Starting Simple Login Manager
/etc/rc.d/slim stat_done
/etc/rc.d/slim deltext
/etc/rc.d/slim splash_progress
/etc/rc.multi splash_exit
/etc/rc.multi splashy_exit

Mounting Network Filesystems
/etc/rc.d/netfs stat_fail
/etc/rc.d/netfs splash_print
/etc/rc.d/netfs splashy_print
Something failed, killing splash...

Does it works without splashy (to test, just remove "splash" from the kernel command line in grub)?

Offline

#106 2008-05-29 21:09:36

SiD
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2006-09-21
Posts: 729

Re: Arch Linux and Splashy, a big update

lexiw wrote:
SiD wrote:

On reboot or halt (executed from an X-Term) vc/1 is shown with "The System is going down for reboot / system halt NOW!" and the system freezes! I have to use the power button...

Are you sure it's frozen? Maybe the splash is on another tty and you don't see the shutdown progress at all.

ok, it's not frozen completly.

tty1 shows the "The System is going down for reboot / system halt NOW!" message and a blinking cursor.

switching to tty2 - tty6 does not work at all. If I press Ctrl+Alt+2 e.g. nothing happens.

tty7 is showing

INIT: Switching to runlevel: 6
INIT: Sending processes started by init the TERM  signal

But the system doesn't  shut down or reboot.

Only thing I can do is switching between tty1 and tty7.
To Turn off the computer I have to hold the power button.

P.S.
Switching to tty2 (e.g.) from running X, logging in and execute "reboot" or "halt" works.

Last edited by SiD (2008-05-29 21:11:58)

Offline

#107 2008-05-29 21:28:55

lexiw
Member
Registered: 2008-04-29
Posts: 46

Re: Arch Linux and Splashy, a big update

SiD wrote:
lexiw wrote:
SiD wrote:

On reboot or halt (executed from an X-Term) vc/1 is shown with "The System is going down for reboot / system halt NOW!" and the system freezes! I have to use the power button...

Are you sure it's frozen? Maybe the splash is on another tty and you don't see the shutdown progress at all.

ok, it's not frozen completly.

tty1 shows the "The System is going down for reboot / system halt NOW!" message and a blinking cursor.

switching to tty2 - tty6 does not work at all. If I press Ctrl+Alt+2 e.g. nothing happens.

tty7 is showing

INIT: Switching to runlevel: 6
INIT: Sending processes started by init the TERM  signal

But the system doesn't  shut down or reboot.

Only thing I can do is switching between tty1 and tty7.
To Turn off the computer I have to hold the power button.

P.S.
Switching to tty2 (e.g.) from running X, logging in and execute "reboot" or "halt" works.

What about tty8?

Offline

#108 2008-05-29 21:58:01

SiD
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2006-09-21
Posts: 729

Re: Arch Linux and Splashy, a big update

Pressing Ctrl+Alt+8 has no effect.

Offline

#109 2008-05-29 22:07:06

LTSmash
Member
From: Aguascalientes - Mexico
Registered: 2008-01-02
Posts: 348
Website

Re: Arch Linux and Splashy, a big update

INCSlayer wrote:

when you use 773 you only use 256 colors instead of the 64000 colors that your supposed to and get if you use 791 to have therefor it has "ugly" colors

Well I just can't use vga=791 cause it say's that it is an "Undefined Mode Number"... any ideas on to use this mode?

I have an Intel 845G Graphics card.

NOTE:I guess vga=ask parameter may help to get all available modes. Anyway, shouldn't it be available?

Last edited by LTSmash (2008-05-29 22:15:34)


Proud Ex-Arch user.
Still an ArchLinux lover though.

Currently on Kubuntu 9.10

Offline

#110 2008-05-29 22:49:55

SpookyET
Member
Registered: 2008-01-27
Posts: 410

Re: Arch Linux and Splashy, a big update

I use vga=792. There is a table at the top of menus.lst

Offline

#111 2008-05-29 23:14:16

lexiw
Member
Registered: 2008-04-29
Posts: 46

Re: Arch Linux and Splashy, a big update

Ok, i made it! big_smile
The version of initscripts-splash that I'm testing does not replace/conflicts( with) the official initscripts. There are only 2 patches applied but they are already in http://projects.archlinux.org/?p=initscripts.git
When the new version of initscripts is released I'll release a new version of initscripts-splash. No more need too remove initscripts before installing initscripts-splash, non more worry about forgetting to reinstall initscripts after initscripts-splash is removed smile
The next version of initscripts-splash will depends on sysvinit-splash rather than sysvinit-mod. I made a new package in order to avoid patching the original initscripts, the patch is really really small and pretty safe wink

Maybe it's time to make a patched grub package with the "quiet" option? Have a look at: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/m … 21.diff.gz

Offline

#112 2008-05-29 23:29:22

SpookyET
Member
Registered: 2008-01-27
Posts: 410

Re: Arch Linux and Splashy, a big update

Will they accept the sysvinit patch so you won't have conflicting packages?
I don't think "quiet" warrants a new grub.

Last edited by SpookyET (2008-05-29 23:30:11)

Offline

#113 2008-05-29 23:36:17

lexiw
Member
Registered: 2008-04-29
Posts: 46

Re: Arch Linux and Splashy, a big update

SpookyET wrote:

Will they accept the sysvinit patch so you won't have conflicting packages?
I don't think "quiet" warrants a new grub.

No, they won't, phrakture already spoken.
The new grub with the quiet options would be optional, the patch ideally will send you from the grub selection menu to the splash boot without showing messages about loading the kernel and such.

Offline

#114 2008-05-30 00:31:10

angvp
Developer
From: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Registered: 2008-05-15
Posts: 32
Website

Re: Arch Linux and Splashy, a big update

Hi the archlinuxve repo (home of the splashy packages) it's updated in i686 and x86_64

Thanks for the x86_64 packages to Statix (he is the x86_64 supporter big_smile)

Offline

#115 2008-05-30 00:39:29

SpookyET
Member
Registered: 2008-01-27
Posts: 410

Re: Arch Linux and Splashy, a big update

angvp, thank you, but I'm not waiting for you.

Offline

#116 2008-05-30 00:50:58

angvp
Developer
From: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Registered: 2008-05-15
Posts: 32
Website

Re: Arch Linux and Splashy, a big update

SpookyET wrote:

angvp, thank you, but I'm not waiting for you.

Good for you, :-)

Offline

#117 2008-05-30 01:23:15

phrakture
Arch Overlord
From: behind you
Registered: 2003-10-29
Posts: 7,879
Website

Re: Arch Linux and Splashy, a big update

lexiw wrote:
SpookyET wrote:

Will they accept the sysvinit patch so you won't have conflicting packages?
I don't think "quiet" warrants a new grub.

No, they won't, phrakture already spoken.
The new grub with the quiet options would be optional, the patch ideally will send you from the grub selection menu to the splash boot without showing messages about loading the kernel and such.

Well, I'm still apprehensive.

Would you want to file a bug report to add that patch, so I can see what the rest of the devs think?

Offline

#118 2008-05-30 02:17:06

lexiw
Member
Registered: 2008-04-29
Posts: 46

Re: Arch Linux and Splashy, a big update

phrakture wrote:
lexiw wrote:
SpookyET wrote:

Will they accept the sysvinit patch so you won't have conflicting packages?
I don't think "quiet" warrants a new grub.

No, they won't, phrakture already spoken.
The new grub with the quiet options would be optional, the patch ideally will send you from the grub selection menu to the splash boot without showing messages about loading the kernel and such.

Well, I'm still apprehensive.

Would you want to file a bug report to add that patch, so I can see what the rest of the devs think?

Here it is: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/10536 smile

Offline

#119 2008-05-30 03:15:02

lexiw
Member
Registered: 2008-04-29
Posts: 46

Re: Arch Linux and Splashy, a big update

I've been busy fixing splashy lately and completely abandoned the splashy-themes package, here's a new release http://slexiw.netsons.org/files/splashy-themes.tar.gz smile
Added darch-white and darch-grey theme (thank you SiD!)!
Remember to remove your old splashy-theme-darch before attempting to install!

Enjoy wink

Offline

#120 2008-05-30 03:21:11

SpookyET
Member
Registered: 2008-01-27
Posts: 410

Re: Arch Linux and Splashy, a big update

You can add conflicts=('splashy-theme-darch')

Offline

#121 2008-05-30 03:24:46

lexiw
Member
Registered: 2008-04-29
Posts: 46

Re: Arch Linux and Splashy, a big update

SpookyET wrote:

You can add conflicts=('splashy-theme-darch')

5:24 am, completely forgot about that tongue
It's fixed now, thank you.

Offline

#122 2008-05-30 13:09:15

aralbald
Member
Registered: 2007-10-23
Posts: 3

Re: Arch Linux and Splashy, a big update

Ok, I have tested the new stuff.

Black squares - gone. (Looks like it was splashy issue that was fixed at 0.3.10)

Using vesafb: All is working (yeah!). I'm using KDM and it is running both as a daemon and in inittab.

Using uvesafb: Doesn't work at atboot, but it's working at shutdown. So my guess is that either my hardware is not playing well with uvesafb or i'm not configuring it properly. I'm just going to stick with vesafb for now.

Some notes:
* The message on boot "loading initramfs" that stays for about 2 seconds... This can be hidden using a patched grub, right?
* Right before shutdown/restart the splash disappears and the console is shown. I commented the splash_exit function in rc.shutdown and the splash is shown till the actual reboot/shutdown, but this feels soooo wrong smile.

Really man, thanks for all the efforts on pulling this smile

Offline

#123 2008-05-30 13:17:21

lexiw
Member
Registered: 2008-04-29
Posts: 46

Re: Arch Linux and Splashy, a big update

aralbald wrote:

Ok, I have tested the new stuff.

Black squares - gone. (Looks like it was splashy issue that was fixed at 0.3.10)

No, it's not fixed yet. We are working on it. I'm using a workaround.

aralbald wrote:

Using vesafb: All is working (yeah!). I'm using KDM and it is running both as a daemon and in inittab.

Using uvesafb: Doesn't work at atboot, but it's working at shutdown. So my guess is that either my hardware is not playing well with uvesafb or i'm not configuring it properly. I'm just going to stick with vesafb for now.

Is v86d before splashy in the HOOKS line?

aralbald wrote:

Some notes:
* The message on boot "loading initramfs" that stays for about 2 seconds... This can be hidden using a patched grub, right?

I have yet to look the grub code, probably yes.

aralbald wrote:

* Right before shutdown/restart the splash disappears and the console is shown. I commented the splash_exit function in rc.shutdown and the splash is shown till the actual reboot/shutdown, but this feels soooo wrong smile.

Yeah, it's wrong smile The fix is quite easy and it will be in the next version.

aralbald wrote:

Really man, thanks for all the efforts on pulling this smile

You are welcome! smile

Offline

#124 2008-05-30 13:39:58

SpookyET
Member
Registered: 2008-01-27
Posts: 410

Re: Arch Linux and Splashy, a big update

I did get a huge freeze yesterday at shutdown with slim running daemon mode, probably caused by SLIM. I thinks it's better to leave daemon mode off.

Offline

#125 2008-05-31 19:40:42

mini
Member
Registered: 2006-12-18
Posts: 132

Re: Arch Linux and Splashy, a big update

My system is freezing at boot up after hibernate (s2disk)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB