You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-28 08:12:11

Switch

New or Becomeing New To Arch Questions.

Hey Arch Forum Users. I am a real n00bie when it comes to linux. Ive never really used it other than doing simple bash commands on a shell, BNC/Eggdrop and stuff. I am un-happy in a sense that my computer experince is beging to dull. Ive been using Winblows for a fair amount of time, Nothings very customizable other than a few things. I am a very graphical guy, well you could say that. I am pretty pickey what i make my computer look like, Ive noticed alot of linux users have amazing looking desktops and I am like holy batman, thats really sexy. One of the reason why i wanna switch over. Another reason is the uptime, ive seen crazy uptime, very rare reboots unless your a turn off and shut down pearson, again Windows cannot make it to my standars of nerver shutdown unless have to. 6Weeks 3days cpl hourse was my Xp uptime, nothing speical or anything but I wanna see performace. I started reading into Arch suggested by a friend, I was falling in love with it while reading "The Arch Way" and getting to know whats under the hood of the computer, as much as the outside has to be custome, the inside must be to, and I am really digging this idea of making your own style with just a core system on the inside. Anways. Some questions, yes, I am n00bie but a fast learner wink

Computer Specs
Hp: Dv9000 Series.
AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-56 @ 800MHzx2 (Quanta 30B9 mainboard)
3GB Ram (Possible Upgrade To 4GB)
NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150
Roughly 2TB In Storage *External*
WAN Miniport (L2TP), WAN Miniport (PPTP), WAN Miniport (PPPOE), WAN Miniport (IPv6), NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller, Microsoft ISATAP Adapter, WAN Miniport (IP), Microsoft ISATAP Adapter, Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter, RAS Async Adapter, Microsoft 6to4 Adapter,
Broadcom 4321AG 802.11a/b/g/draft-n Wi-Fi Adapter *what i am thinking Arch Will Use*

I think my laptop will be pretty good to run Arch on, its an OK computer some glitches, it freezes at points, witch I would like to eliminate, I am pretty sure it has to do with the OS. Wireless networks are a big worrie for me.  I like wired dont get me wrong, but when your rooms on the third floor, you dont really want to run a 100Ft cable around the house and laptops are for mobility anways. Ive been reading and but probley not enough, i have seen the coniguration files and everything but Will my Broadcom 4321AG 802.11a/b/g/draft-n Wi-Fi Adapter be supported? and if its not how can i fix, since Arch and other linux dont have drivers like WinBlows. Thats my main reason why I am worried to switch, but i wanna move onto something with a bit more experince and make my over all life better with the compter get to know the machine i have come to love and just have a good experince.

I tried to install it at one point, i did it all right, but then I didint know you had to download and evironment, so I got stuck, but now I know. When i was downloading KDE, witch looks really sexy btw, my computer froze. I wasnt to happy. How can i stop this from happening with the install so i can get the KDE Environment going and startx and start my building and so on to be able to get internet and stuff and just get things moving.

I hope you guys/gals/aliens? can help me understand a bit more and maybe help me with my answers or lead me in the right directtion., I am willing to learn and I dont wanna stop ever. smile

#2 2008-05-28 08:29:48

zenlord
Website

Re: New or Becomeing New To Arch Questions.

Well, I'm noobish myself (one day at the time is the way to go) and I have learned a lot from the wiki, especially the beginners guide...

Also: look in the forum under announcements and you'll find a link to the newest iso, which also contains a live-cd so you can be sure if all of your hardware is installed out-of-the-box and if not: what hardware you have to do some research on.

Zl.

#3 2008-05-30 14:30:08

Switch

Re: New or Becomeing New To Arch Questions.

zenlord wrote:

Well, I'm noobish myself (one day at the time is the way to go) and I have learned a lot from the wiki, especially the beginners guide...

Also: look in the forum under announcements and you'll find a link to the newest iso, which also contains a live-cd so you can be sure if all of your hardware is installed out-of-the-box and if not: what hardware you have to do some research on.

Zl.

Thanks, i'll check out that live-cd smile

Board footer