You are not logged in.

#1 2003-10-14 01:35:49

yowwww

getting my printer working

OK, first off, I have searched the forum and looked thru different configs and tried with cups as well as different methods and nothing seems to work.  Even tho I have already tried, I am willing to take direction from anyone that might be able to help me get it working, even if I repeat things I have already tried.

My printer is locally connected and works fine on the other two os/distros that I have installed on my triple boot box so I know there are no connectivity issues. I use an epson C40ux connected using a usb cable.

Thanks in advance.

#2 2003-10-14 02:56:03

red_over_blue

Re: getting my printer working

yowwww,

I am definitely no CUPS expert, but here are the steps I would take to get things starting:

1.  Install CUPS:

pacman -S cups

2.  Start the CUPS daemon:

/etc/rc.d/cups start

3.  Try to configure CUPS using the built in browser config tool.  Just point your browser to http://localhost:631.  It should ask you for a username and password, and you can supply it with username root and your root password.  You can then add/configure/test your printer.

After trying these steps, please report back any errors or stumbling blocks so that we can narrow down what might be causing your printing problems.

Don't forget to post your PKGBUILD in your thread when you announce a new package in incoming.
see HERE for details

#3 2003-10-14 03:09:20

yowwww

thank you for the clear response. yes, I had already done that, but it is good to go over it again. here are my results:

pacman -Sy cups
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 current.db.tar.gz        [####################################] 100% |     33K
 unofficial.db.tar.gz     [####################################] 100% |     68K
:: cups-1.1.19-3: is up to date.  Upgrade anyway? [Y/n] n
[root@arch ctm]# /etc/rc.d/cups start
| Starting CUPS Daemon                                                                 [done]

I then went to configure printer and it says it is not connected (I know for sure it is). Here is the message I get:
Printer

Default Destination: none

epsonc40ux     EPSON Stylus C40UX - CUPS+Gimp-Print v4.2.6-pre1     
        Description:
Printer State: processing, accepting jobs.
"Printer not connected; will retry in 30 seconds..."
Device URI: usb:/dev/usblp0

something I noticed when I browsed my /dev/ directory was that lpt0 did not exist nor did anything else in the /dev/usb/ directory.

I checked the queue and the jobs are being sent, but it doesn't have anywhere to send it, it appears. I can't find /dev/usblp0 either. I am going to recompile my kernel to make sure I have support built in - I wanted to anyway so I could get my apm working properly. To be continued...

OK, there did appear to be some things missing from my kernel so I recompiled. So here is my question at this point: I recompiled, but how do I make sure the new configuration is saved in Arch for that kernel?

I compiled my own kernel for Arch but I can't remember the instructions I used during the install process. Can someone remind me, I want to make sure this kernel doesn't get botched.

It asked me to do "make dep" which I did, but I am not sure where to go from there.

#4 2003-10-14 04:06:56

sarah31
Website

i too have a usb connected printer and if there is no specific module in the kernel for your printer then modprobing printer(.o) (and adding "printer" to your MODULES=() array in /etc/rc.conf) should solve your connectivity issues. the generic usb printer feature is enabled as a module in the arch kernel.

(note you may have to reboot to get all your devices showing up. i cannot recall if i had to tweak my devfsd.conf at all but i don't think i did)

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2003-10-14 04:07:54

red_over_blue

Well, I'm using a Canon S300 usb printer.  The following two commands might help you:

[john@limbo PyOpenGL-2.0.0.44]$ cat /proc/bus/usb/devices 

T:  Bus=02 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#=  1 Spd=12  MxCh= 2
B:  Alloc=  0/900 us ( 0%), #Int=  0, #Iso=  0
D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=0000 ProdID=0000 Rev= 2.06
S:  Manufacturer=Linux 2.6.0-test7 uhci-hcd
S:  Product=UHCI Host Controller
S:  SerialNumber=0000:00:04.3
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=40 MxPwr=  0mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   2 Ivl=255ms

T:  Bus=02 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#=  2 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=04a9 ProdID=1064 Rev= 1.03
S:  Manufacturer=Canon
S:  Product=S300
S:  SerialNumber=803JEZ
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=c0 MxPwr=  2mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=07(print) Sub=01 Prot=02 Driver=usblp
E:  Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms

T:  Bus=01 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#=  1 Spd=12  MxCh= 2
B:  Alloc=  0/900 us ( 0%), #Int=  0, #Iso=  0
D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=0000 ProdID=0000 Rev= 2.06
S:  Manufacturer=Linux 2.6.0-test7 uhci-hcd
S:  Product=UHCI Host Controller
S:  SerialNumber=0000:00:04.2
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=40 MxPwr=  0mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   2 Ivl=255ms
[john@limbo PyOpenGL-2.0.0.44]$ 

and

[john@limbo PyOpenGL-2.0.0.44]$ ls /dev/usb/    
lp0
[john@limbo PyOpenGL-2.0.0.44]$ 

You could also use pacman to install usbview, but I don't know how much more it will do than cat'ing /proc/bus/usb/devices.

Don't forget to post your PKGBUILD in your thread when you announce a new package in incoming.
see HERE for details

#6 2003-10-14 04:14:36

yowwww

here is what I got:

cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
cat: /proc/bus/usb/devices: No such file or directory

but I really think I need to solve my kernel compile problem and then re-check cups again cuz I think I might have been missing proper support for usb within it.

So, I need to know how I can safely save my new kernel config and get it to boot with the new support.

thanks again for your response.

#7 2003-10-14 04:28:17

sarah31
Website

are you using a stock kernel or self compiled?

if the former you should be ok with respect to usb support.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#8 2003-10-14 11:50:22

yowwww

no, it must have been one that I did myself and carelessly left off some usb support more than likely in an effort to ensure that my network device support was there, causing the oversight.

either way, it has been recompiled at this point and I have also downloaded an additional kernel which I have compiled (I am not new at compiling), but I need to know how to save my new configuration and set things up in arch. As stated, I get to the part where I save the new kernel configuation after running make menuconfig and then it tells me I need to "make dep" but I am not sure what to do after that. I can certainly guess (I've had my fair share of kernel recompiles with gentoo), but I would rather a definite answer so I can be certain that when I reboot, I will be able to get into Arch again. I am pretty sure that once I do, with the new kernel compilation I will at least have a fighting chance to get my printer working.

Thanks in advance.

#9 2003-10-14 12:56:49

zen_guerrilla

yowwww:
After done recompiling your kernel, make sure to visit www.linuxprinting.org for specific instructions (& ppd files) for your printer. The best site for printing under linux.

#10 2003-10-14 15:27:57

sarah31
Website

so you have recompiled or are you just wanting to use your config to make a custom kernel package? if you are wanting to just compile it and not make a package then just do the rest of the steps as you would any compile:

make dep

make bzImage

make modules

make modules_install

cp arch/i386/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz

cp System.map /boot/System.map

then run lilo if you are using it.

if you are wanting to make a package then just copy your .config to /var/abs/kernels/kernel/config then cd into that directory and run makepkg then install the kernel with pacman. (if i remember correctly)then add kernel to your IgnorePkg= options in pacman.conf so that it is not upgraded when you run -Syu.

i hope i have interpretted your question properly....

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#11 2003-10-14 17:06:30

apeiro
Daddy
Website

To get /proc/bus/usb populated:

# mount -t usbdevfs none /proc/bus/usb

#12 2003-10-14 22:30:35

yowwww

first off, thanks to all that responded.

I am very familiar with linuxprinting.org and I find it very useful for checking compatiblity and such for printers. However, in this case, I know my printer is fully supported, but the problem lies in recompiling the kernel right now.

I have done

make dep

and seems to go well, but then I do:

make bzImage

and I get this error at the end (there is lots more but I am just pasting the bottom few:

/usr/src/linux-2.4.21/include/linux/modules/i386_ksyms.ver:102:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
make[2]: *** [ksyms.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.21/kernel'
make[1]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.21/kernel'
make: *** [_dir_kernel] Error 2

that's where I have left off and I need to get that resolved before I can move on.

thanks.

#13 2003-10-14 22:45:45

red_over_blue

yowwww,

Here are the steps I take in compiling a kernel.  I think your error may be due to not doing a "make clean" and having residual files:

cd /usr/src/linux
cp .config /root
make mrproper
cp /root/.config .
make menuconfig
* make any changes here.  If you have no changes to make, you should make menuconfig anyway *
make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install
cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz
cp System.map /boot

And then you must do whatever your bootloader requires you to do, depending on whether you use Grub or Lilo.  Just a note about the "make menuconfig".  If you simply "make mrproper", copy your kernel .config file back into /usr/src/linux, and then immediately go into "make dep && make clean ....." you will likely get errors.  Even if you have nothing to change, just do a quick "make menuconfig", make sure things look ok, and then quit, saving your kernel settings.  Also, if you have any modules that are not provided by the kernel, you will need to recompile those, as both the "make mrproper" and "make clean" flush out your modules.   There are exceptions, such as modules that reside outside of the kernel module directories, but now I'm just getting long winded smile

Good luck.

EDIT - Just two other things I thought I should mention quick:

1.  Make sure you copy your .config file somewhere (I copy it to /root) before doing make mrproper, or YOU WILL LOOSE IT.

2.  I never compile kernel in an X environment.  This is just personal preference.  When you "make menuconfig" in X as root, it may fail since you probably don't have permission to open a display in that X session.  I always drop down to a virtual terminal (CTRL-ALT-F2).

see HERE for details

#14 2003-10-14 23:17:33

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

red_over_blue: I think you're thinking of make xmenuconfig.  make menuconfig should never open an X window... it's not supposed to.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#15 2003-10-15 00:47:05

sarah31
Website

yowwww,

are you building in and old /usr/src/linux directory or are you building within a completely new one?

anyway if you built your kernel within that directory you may have to run make clean after make dep. i refer you to this ancient doc for info:

http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/Compiling_ … ernel.html

there are other doc on that site as well which may help you out, but to me it looks like a previously made source entry is stopping your new one. make clean should clean that bunk out.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#16 2003-10-15 02:28:31

red_over_blue

Xentac wrote:

red_over_blue: I think you're thinking of make xmenuconfig.  make menuconfig should never open an X window... it's not supposed to.

Yeah, but actually 2.6.0-test7 was barfing up the following with "make menuconfig" when in X, so I thought better safe than sorry for someone not very familiar with kernel compiling.  I personally think it is a good habit to get into anyway, compiling outside of X when playing with the kernel.  Maybe I'm just anal smile

interrupted(11)
               make[1]: *** [menuconfig] Error 1
make: *** [menuconfig] Error 2

see HERE for details

#17 2003-10-15 02:45:34

yowwww

ok, thanks a lot

I tried the mrproper and such but it turned out errors just the same. I visited irc and got help there as well and ended up adding three new kernels and deleting the old one. Might be a gcc prob with 2.4.21.

I haven't rebooted yet though, so I might be screwed, but I will have to see.

Thanks for all the input from everyone so far.  smile

#18 2003-10-15 12:04:59

yowwww

well, I ended up adding three new kernels.

2.4.22 and 2.4.69 boot fine but won't start my netowrk for some reason (yes the driver is built into the kernel)

2.6-test7 boots and starts my network but says "unable to open a suitable terminal device" as user (but works fine as root).

and this morning I logged on as root in 2.6-test7 just because the curiosity was getting to me and I opened my terminal and started cups and then set up things through my browser and lo and behold, out came a test page.  smile

So my printer now seems to be work in at least that one kernel, the trick is testing it in the others and getting the terminal error fixed and the network going in the others.

The linux fun just never ends!

#19 2003-10-15 15:20:09

sarah31
Website

for 2.6test7 you need to have dev/pts enable (same section as devfs and add an entry to your fstab...see the various 2.6 kernel posts in the kernel section to find the entry and various other info.

if you have trouble with modules in 2.6 you will need to build modules-init-tools. again see the various 2.6 kernel threads.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#20 2003-10-15 22:26:23

yowwww

ok, I searched the forum and found the necessary info, Toth is one useful guy around here  smile

thanks for pointing me in the right direction

anyway, I know this may seem like a non-issue, but any ideas on how to get my network going in the other two kernels?
it is built into the kernel as usual and tries to start during boot, but it always fails.

update - network is now working on 2.5.69 and my sound is now working also.  smile

#21 2004-08-03 15:15:29

Mindaugas

[mind@deimas ~]$ cat /proc/bus/usb/devices

T:  Bus=02 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=02 Dev#=  3 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=04a9 ProdID=106a Rev= 1.03
S:  Manufacturer=Canon
S:  Product=S200
S:  SerialNumber=30GU2T
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=c0 MxPwr=  2mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=07(print) Sub=01 Prot=02 Driver=usblp
E:  Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms

How to print now?

#22 2004-08-03 15:32:22

dp
Website

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#23 2004-08-03 15:39:14

Mindaugas

Yes I have, thanks for links I'll try.

Board footer