You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-01 16:08:41

Misanthrope

[SOLVED]Unable to install grub "couldn't find /mnt/boot/grub/menu.lst"

Ok so I was trying to install windows after I had arch installed, used an ubuntu cd to use gparted to create a partition, tried to go to the windows installation but it would endlessly send me back to restart the installation even after succesfully writting all files...

So now I decided to not install it, went back into ubuntu/gparted, deleted the partition and rejoined the space with my main arch partition and then selected the "boot" flag to boot...

Cannot boot, grub its still on /boot/ but the MBR its obviously tempered with by windows ( which coincidentally couldn't even find itself after writing mbr to its liking....*sigh* ).

So I try to use my arch install cd to reinstall grub but i get this:
"couldn't find /mnt/boot/grub/menu.lst is grub installed?"

I tried to use the select packages thing to make sure the cd is mounted and mounts fine but it keeps getting me that error message. I managed to boot to my system just fine with arch root=/dev/sda1 but obviosly the kernell does not has my nvidia module which means I can't get into x which means i am using links and since my grub is not loaded i can't even get framebuffer so this is rather inconvenient.

Im sure im missing a very simple and stupid thing but im so annoyed my brain must be saying "ok im done somebody else figure it out". I still have a backup copy of my grub menu.lst I made before. Do I just delete /bood/grub/ and try again? Am I missing something on the install procedure to be able to rewrite grub? Can I just do it from the command line or with pacman? Any help appreciate it thanks.

Last edited by Misanthrope (2008-06-01 17:22:32)

#2 2008-06-01 16:41:16

bgc1954

Re: [SOLVED]Unable to install grub "couldn't find /mnt/boot/grub/menu.lst"

If you can get into your arch and cli then you should just be able to reinstall grub with

install-grub /dev/sda

or reinstall grub with

pacman -S grub

if the package is messed up or missing.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#3 2008-06-01 16:42:53

dyscoria

Super GRUB Disk could possibly help. They got some decent documentation on their website now.
I used this once to fix a windows xp borked up MBR, but it can also be used to restore GRUB so it might help here.

flack 2.0.6: menu-driven BASH script to easily tag FLAC files (AUR)
knock-once 1.2: BASH script to easily create/send one-time sequences for knockd (forum/AUR)

#4 2008-06-01 17:22:07

Misanthrope

Yea I did "install-grub /dev/sda1" and then copied my menu.lst from my ~ to /boot/grub/ and got my system back to normal. I knew it was probably fairly easy, everything back to normal, Thanks!

Board footer