You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-01 01:36:58

Mr_Shameless

Lose search path after kernel recompilation

Hi,

I just installed archlinux 2008.7 core to my computer, choosing all 4 basic packages group during the installation.

The installation went well, then I installed xorg by updating pacman database then type

#pacman -S xorg

Then i installed icewm.

Then I downloaded the kernel source version 2.6.24 to build a new one. I first copy /proc/config.gz to its .config file, then

#make oldconfig

, and answered new questions by entering for the default options.

After building, i copied the image, installed modules, make initrd image, then rebooted.

The system could boot using the new kernel. But there has been one problem i've seen so far: Both users (my normal account and root) have lost the search path. For example, when I type

$which xterm

, it says:

which: no xterm in ((null))

I could still launch xterm (and some other programs) by typing in their name. But for many programs, I have to type in their full path launch them. For example:

/usr/sbin/dhcpcd eth0

or

/sbin/reboot

This happened after I built my new kernel, installed dbus, hal, and pidgin. Sorry if some details are misleading.

How do I fix this cleanly? Could there be any other problems besides this that I havent found? If you need to see anything, I will post them. Thank you very much smile

#2 2008-06-01 08:06:10

_Marco_

Re: Lose search path after kernel recompilation

please paste your /etc/profile
you should have a line like this (and a lot of other thing.. so don't simply create an empty one with these lines):

# Set our default path
PATH="/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin"
export PATH

#3 2008-06-01 17:19:38

Mr_Shameless

Re: Lose search path after kernel recompilation

Hi,

Thank you very much, though i have to say that im sorry for not having the chance to check. I installed the new 2008.03 release this morning out of frustration. I will return to this topic if facing the same problem again.

Board footer